Antivirus recommendations

• Hi,

We're in the middle if deciding which AV vendor to recommend going forward.

We have been a Trend shop for years now, but we've had too many machines hit lately to put up with it any longer.

We are looking at KES, but are wary of the AVG back-end. We've always put our trust in name brands, and don't quite know what to make of this vendor.

We're tossing up between Sophos, Eset, KES or McAfee. Symantec, Trend, CA and Kaspersky are definitely no-go for us.

If anyone can offer some friendly advice for ANY vendors in regards to quality of product as well as K integration, and would be appreciated. We just want to pick the right one, so don't necessarily use my above list as a guide.

As I said, we are considering KES, and that's my instinct, we just want to do our homework, plus the boss hasn't just said yes to kes.

Legacy Forum Name: Antivirus recommendations,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • We've been a Eset shop for awhile now, no problems as yet.
    I herd rumours that you could enable a setting and monitor the event log entries, but after looking on these forums it doesnt look possible.
    NOD32 v3 is pretty good tho, not as speedy as v2 but with some minor tweaks its on par.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: igenmediacorp
  • chris@busy.co.nz
    Hi,

We're in the middle if deciding which AV vendor to recommend going forward.

We have been a Trend shop for years now, but we've had too many machines hit lately to put up with it any longer.

We are looking at KES, but are wary of the AVG back-end. We've always put our trust in name brands, and don't quite know what to make of this vendor.

We're tossing up between Sophos, Eset, KES or McAfee. Symantec, Trend, CA and Kaspersky are definitely no-go for us.

If anyone can offer some friendly advice for ANY vendors in regards to quality of product as well as K integration, and would be appreciated. We just want to pick the right one, so don't necessarily use my above list as a guide.

As I said, we are considering KES, and that's my instinct, we just want to do our homework, plus the boss hasn't just said yes to kes.

Unless you plan on deploying the 'remote administrator' for Eset's NOD32 at all client locations skip it. It's great software but they refuse to write to the event log which will make easy monitoring with Kaseya impossible. It sucks, because I am personally a huge fan of Nod32 and have used it on all my personal machines for years. We have stayed away from anything Symantec for as long as I can remember so I can't really comment on anything with them. It might be the best software on earth at this point, but they have a track history of just f'n things up.

Why is Kaspersky a definite 'no-go' for you? They have awesome detection rates, an SQL based admin kit which makes local administration a snap, plus both clients and the admin kit write to the Windows Event Log.

We are using KES. It's decent and AVG gets better with each release. I think the biggest problem is convincing clients that the AVG that is on their machines isn't the "free" version they have probably seen before. KES is also the only A/V product that truly integrates with Kaseya (however anyone could write a custom tab for alternatives). Everything else will rely on a combination of scripts, event logs and monitoring sets. You pay a minor premium for KES over going through AVG directly, so if keeping everything under a single console isn't a requirement....keep that in mind.

We are happy with KES at the moment. We require/deploy a UTM like a Sonicwall at all client locations in addition to KES and the two-hit combo so far has prevented any major catastrophes. A few WinAntivirus 2007/8 here and there, but so far nothing that has required a full reinstall of the OS. In fact, I think the worst we had was a single machine that was infected with a trojan that made it's way onto an iPod. So it was brought in directly to the internal network bypassing the firewall.

I believe there is a trial for KES. You should contact Jeff Keyes and not only start a KES trial, but get into the 2.1 beta so you can see the dashboard, and the new management options and whatnot.

Edit:
    chris@busy.co.nz
    We've been a Eset shop for awhile now, no problems as yet.
    I herd rumours that you could enable a setting and monitor the event log entries, but after looking on these forums it doesnt look possible.
    NOD32 v3 is pretty good tho, not as speedy as v2 but with some minor tweaks its on par.

v4 just came out a couple of days ago. So far so good though!

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Cheers guys - just the sort of info I was after.

The main reason we don't like Kasperky is because the NZ distributor isn't a mainstream distributor like Ingram, so we shy away. We're a very picky shop on brands and distributors, we've been around a while.

Thanks also for the heads up on Eset. Alas, I'd like to go there as well.

I think the best bet might be to see what we can make of AVG. We're running a trial, and I'm just building a few VMs to give a few vendor's a run. Let you know how I get on.

Regards,
    Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • I have used Symantec products for years and truly disgust them. We are in the middle of rolling out KES and I am so much happier with it. Time will tell if AVG is as good as Symantec. The true test will be the quality of the anti-spyware. That tends to be the biggest issue today although the AV can't be ignored.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • Speaking of Symantec, seems they are removing posts and are not discussing what a certain file does.

At the moment it seems to be just some kind of statistics gathering program, but rumors are flying high about it. Even if it is, removing posts from your customers on your support forums and refusing to talk about it is bad business if you ask me.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Was a NOD32 fan, have not liked the performance or detection as of late.

New customers with Symantec of any kind are always a problem and one of the 1st things we get rid of.

Have been rolling out KES and fairly happy. Still a few kinks for Kaseya to work out, but so far so good.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • We have always used Symantec and really like the latest version. We are now part of their xSP program so we can bill clients monthly and pay Symantec quarterly for only the licenses used. They also have an option for a centralized monitor that is updated from the clients. We haven't implemented that yet, but have seen it demonstrated and are looking forward to trying it.

Legacy Posted By Username: pblough
  • We've been doing ESET with the Remote Administrator app at each location. We enable this app to write to the event log which Kaseya can pick up, and also use the Admin Console to monitor all clients from our location. Each Remote Admin is scheduled to email monthly reports to clients.

And, while anecdotal, I've rolled out NOD32 to Symantec, McAfee, AVG, and CA clients and have found a surprising number of previously undetected viruses on the first network-wide scan.

But I agree that 3.0 isn't as legendary as the 2.x, and that ESET customer service is incredibly lousy.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • My 2 cents... Go with KES. I love the centralized management, with K continuously improving it. AVG is a big player, and has been around pretty long too. In fact, if you google for some product comparisons and benchmarks, you should find AVG included in may of them. Also, with everything being centralized to one console (Kaseya), you'll find your management of AV/AS goes up, while your cost to manage it goes down.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • We are big fans of Avast and AVG. Symantec and McAfee can.. you know what.

I just can't believe how 2 big companies like that can suck so bad.

Rock

Legacy Posted By Username: lgarnier
  • Just a thought, what is wrong with Trend Micro?

It has the remote manager to roll all client sites up into one console, MSP style, and alerts that inform you of viruses or spyware on individual machines.

I might be missing something at the big end of town, but in the SMB(Worry Free products) space, Trend is ticking all the boxes for us.

Regards,
    Ryan

Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.odwyer
  • I had all my clients Pre-Kasey on Symantec. Up through version 10 I was mostly content with it, but SEP 11 destroyed the product in my opinion. Management became a nightmare, system performance was terrible, and it didn't even stop a few viruses on my clients networks...

When I rolled out Kaseya KES ended up being a big win for me. My client immediately noticed a performance boost, which I attribute mostly to the removal of SEP. Having the integrated deployment and interface with Kaseya is such a huge time saver it seems like a no brainer to me.

Legacy Posted By Username: chadl2
  • chadl2
    I had all my clients Pre-Kasey on Symantec. Up through version 10 I was mostly content with it, but SEP 11 destroyed the product in my opinion. Management became a nightmare, system performance was terrible, and it didn't even stop a few viruses on my clients networks...

When I rolled out Kaseya KES ended up being a big win for me. My client immediately noticed a performance boost, which I attribute mostly to the removal of SEP. Having the integrated deployment and interface with Kaseya is such a huge time saver it seems like a no brainer to me.

These are my exactly my sentiments.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • I have both avast pro, and home editions running on about 200 machines. It works very well, its efficient, it writes to the event log and is very easy to script installs and updates. But as with all A/V Software, it does have some minor annoyances (mostly the outlook plugin hanging up on occasion) but they are few and far between.

Legacy Posted By Username: Resistance2Fly