Kaseya Community

Difference .root and Organisation

• Sorry if this has been asked and explained before but what is difference .root and Organisation groups under K2?

I have done a quick look in the forums and the help doc does not explain this very well. I can't see the value of having two containers/groups when we only had one primary machine group for each domain/customer in the previous version of Kaseya.

Legacy Forum Name: Difference .root and Organisation,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ChrisVisser
  • .root just default value for k2. Nothing special...we can delete it after we organize our org...

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cyrus.d.virus
  • cyrus.d.virus
    .root just default value for k2. Nothing special...we can delete it after we organize our org...

Awesome thanks, learnt a little more about it, turns out its very important as it’s also the default machine group and if you are connecting to Kaseya with a 3rdparty CRM tool it is important to use it as the parent Machine Group for all your other Machine groups so that you keep the links between the two systems working to keep track of audit information of computers with agents installed.

Renaming the root machine group does not appear to cause any problems unfortunately you can’t change the default machine group to another machine group without editing the database so I would not recommend deleting it.

If you do delete it just recreate it with the same name and it will more then likely recover/retain the default machine group status.

• How do you delete .root?

I have 50 machines in a company, and when I add them they by deafult go inot comp.root, when I go to move them only the .root for the different companies are listed.

When trying to delete .root, it tells me that the group contains agents and cannot be removed.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jturner
  • Jturner
    How do you delete .root?

I have 50 machines in a company, and when I add them they by deafult go inot comp.root, when I go to move them only the .root for the different companies are listed.

When trying to delete .root, it tells me that the group contains agents and cannot be removed.

Not sure if you used pre Kaseya 2.0 but you need to have at least one machine group for each Organization in Kaseya 2.0. As per the help file the Organization is not a machine group but rather object that you can give attributes to that relates to the business.

You can rename the root machine group if you feel it’s not descriptive enough but I would not recommend deleting it as the root machine group is normally your default primary machine group.

• Jturner
    How do you delete .root?

You'll have to move all the machines out of .root, then you can delete it. I've found this will only work if you have another sub group. And if you do so don't forget to edit your agent install package (if you have one for that machine group).

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • We are working on testing K2, and what we have found is that we wanted to keep the system like the K6 naming, and not have .anything. We wanted just the name of the company.

It appears that with the K2 system you have to have at least 2 items in your Machine Group list for every company. You have comp, and comp.root.

• Jturner
    You have comp, and comp.root.

comp and comp.somthing, it dosent have to be root

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    comp and comp.somthing, it dosent have to be root

That is correct. It does not have to be .root, although there MUST be a Group. Unlike K6 where you could have just a top level Organization, and not have any sub groups at all.

• You are all on the right track! In K2, you must have an organisation and at LEAST one machine group, the '.root' by default, which, as noted, you can rename if you wish. There is no way around this structure. An Organisation is not a machine group and doesn't have agents directly in it, so there must be at least one machine group assigned to an Org in order to have agents within it.

Thanks,
    Josh

Legacy Posted By Username: josh.tipping
  • For my server in K1, every machine group had the company name, then a subgroup called "main". I set naming policy to place any agent on the network to be added to .main, which resulted in roaming machine staying under the parent group.

I think I have an issue that will cause Connectwise integration to freak out. I know Connectwise fixed the naming issue, where if the GUIDS stay the same, it will update the configuration name in connectwise to the new convention. But will it do this if I change the machine group names? I may have to run a test.

Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • So, I'm trying to do some clean up to my groups. From what I gathered from this post, we HAVE to have the .root there? I have a few organisations that don't have other offices, so we do not have sub-groups for them. I still need to have companyname and companyname.root though? There's no way to have just the company name like in the previous version of kaseya?

Legacy Posted By Username: rchiocchio
  • rchiocchio
    So, I'm trying to do some clean up to my groups. From what I gathered from this post, we HAVE to have the .root there? I have a few organisations that don't have other offices, so we do not have sub-groups for them. I still need to have companyname and companyname.root though? There's no way to have just the company name like in the previous version of kaseya?

Correct, though one correction is that it doesn't NEED to be called 'root', you can rename it to anything you like. But at least one machine group must be there.

Legacy Posted By Username: josh.tipping
  • +1 for a "turn that off" button. Lots of us are small msps serving clients without branches in hong kong, paris and london.
    Or at least in all the drop downs dont show both. its redundant and stupid.

Legacy Posted By Username: JointTech
  • josh.tipping
    Correct, though one correction is that it doesn't NEED to be called 'root', you can rename it to anything you like. But at least one machine group must be there.

Is it possible to not have the .root groups show up in the Machine Group drop-down list? We have a lot of organizations we do not have multiple groups for, so it is a little messy when we see two selections for all of these companies.

Legacy Posted By Username: rchiocchio