Kaseya Community

This site is broken

• So I'm looking for info on configuring Kaseya to use SSL, or better, a custom port. The online help isn't much use, so I try the forum. I try to search for "SSL", right? Nope. Search finds nothing. Search for "443". Same -- nothing.

Try "https". OK, find a couple of hits, with links pointing to documentation or the FAQ. Follow the links, they just take me to Kasey's main web site. Not useful, that.

Anybody got an idea where I can find docs on configuring the K user interface for custom ports?

/kenw

Legacy Forum Name: This site is broken,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Ken Wallewein
  • Search the knowledgebase with "SSL". This one explains how to change the ports: 286163

http://portal.knowledgebase.net/display/2/searchDirect/?searchString=ssl&searchType=allwords&searchby=keywords&r=0.7994043

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rkniffin
  • Thanks, but as I said, I already tried searching for "SSL". I get nothing -- or rather, I get:

"The following errors occurred with your search:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

Oh, and the link you provided gets me a blank screen -- even less nothing. ;-/

It just occurred to me: you know that "Quick Links" tab at the top? Maybe there should be a link to the KB?

/kenw

• http://www.kaseya.com/support.aspx

Article 286163

• Also, the forum search function has a minimum of 4 characters. Anything less and you will not receive any results. However, you can put a wildcard on less than 4 characters and get results. For example, search for *ssl*

Legacy Posted By Username: SteveR
  • Thank you, that was a good link.

Now, one thing I'm wondering about: how does changing the port change other things?

- If we follow the reconfiguration steps described below, are any ports (e.g., 80, 443) disabled? The docs say nothing about that.
    - How does this process affect integration with remote software, e.g., ConnectWise, the K icon, portal, etc?

I realize Kaseya can't speak for non-Kaseya software, but there are ConnectWise users here. I'm interested in whether I'm digging myself a hole I'd be better to walk away from.

/kenw

• SteveR
    Also, the forum search function has a minimum of 4 characters. Anything less and you will not receive any results. However, you can put a wildcard on less than 4 characters and get results. For example, search for *ssl*

Thanks, SteveR. That helps. Of course, you realize that's an explanation, not an excuse, eh?

A properly designed user interface would have the flipping sense to TELL YOU you've entered a search expression that is to short to ever provide an answer, wouldn't it?

And it should suggest the workaround you suggested, too. Except, it turns out, that workaround only find words longer than 3 characters with "SSL" in them. It still doesn't find the word "SSL" anywhere.

I still say, this thing is broken. A technical discussion forum that doesn't allow searching for three letter acronyms (TLAs) is just lame.

/kenw

• I can't say for sure, but it's just a standard IIS port you would be changing, so changing the port from 443 to 999 should have it listening on 999 instead of 443.

As far as other products linking in, I would guess that you'd have to make a change to the url used to link to K if it uses the web interface, something like: https://www.kserver.com:999/mypage.asp

I'm just speculating, as I haven't done this. Maybe someone else that has done this would have a better answer for you.

• Hi Ken,

No problems with running non-standard ports and integrating with Autotask.
    We have our kserver on a non-standard port and also use AutoTask for round-trip ticketing.

It works fine for us.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Back to this again. Trying to search for messages with references to WMI... Just about hopeless.

I have to say, a technical forum whose search engine doesn't work with TLAs (three letter acronyms) is pretty sad.

Still broken.

/kenw

• Ken Wallewein
    Back to this again. Trying to search for messages with references to WMI... Just about hopeless.

I have to say, a technical forum whose search engine doesn't work with TLAs (three letter acronyms) is pretty sad.

Still broken.

/kenw

This is common for the forum software used. Most, if not all forums using vBulletin has a 4 character minimum for searching. Sometime annoying yes, but hardly "broken". Learn to live with it.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • You mean "learn to live _without_ it".

Not being able to search for three letter acronyms reduces the usefulness of the forum, wastes our time, and reduces our effectiveness. Calling that "annoying" shows lack of understanding of purpose of the forum itself, which is to add value to Kaseya software for all stakeholders.

Please don't trivialize wasting our time.

/kenw

• Now that you know you cannot use only 3 letters for searching, it's up to you to "waste your time" or not. I do not trivialize it, I merely state the facts of the limitiations of this Bulletin board software.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • I think this might be a limitation of the SQL server they may be using. Text search indexing in MySQL is capped at 4 characters and up by default. It's likely the left hand of Kaseya (web developers) don't know what the right hand (Database Engineers) are doing.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html

If Kaseya is using MySQL all they need to do is change one setting:

ft_min_word_len=3

and re-index their db to fix this.

Legacy Posted By Username: Zestysoft
  • then we can assemble a small uprising and search for the word "and" over and over again! weeeeee

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty