Kaseya Community

K2 Update - What are peoples views now 6 months on

• Hi folks,

We are still running Kaseya 2008 and we keep debating internally the benefits of moving to K2 versus the pain of moving.

I am wondering if people could give their thoughts of K2 (as it currently stands) so not the nightmares of past months but where they are now in relation to

performance
    Usability
    Bug issues
    Live Connect reliability
    Etc

It would be great just to get live feedback particularly from companies with more than 1500 agents running K2 but really from anybody.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: K2 Update - What are peoples views now 6 months on,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • mmartin
    Hi folks,

We are still running Kaseya 2008 and we keep debating internally the benefits of moving to K2 versus the pain of moving.

I am wondering if people could give their thoughts of K2 (as it currently stands) so not the nightmares of past months but where they are now in relation to

performance
    Usability
    Bug issues
    Live Connect reliability
    Etc

It would be great just to get live feedback particularly from companies with more than 1500 agents running K2 but really from anybody.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

skewed...

I've been riding KSupport about many different issues and have found that most, if not all of my performance issues maybe because of an under-powered server.

Get the latest "Best Practices" docs and what ever other docs you can get your mitts on and double check silly things like that... I almost feel bad about having been mean to some of their support people, but have gone for so long with out noticing something like that is almost unacceptable... We'll see how it goes after the hardware upgrades.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Sorry, I'm small (250 Agents) deployed in early Feb, but still applicable to most installations:

• Overall stability is good.
    • Support has improved dramatically
    • UI performance still has issues in some isolated parts of the product (Script Management). This is in IE and is better in Firefox.
    • Overall usability is probably a 7 out of 10 for me
    • Severity of bugs is way down.
    • Still have agents "stall" where the service is running, but either the agent goes offline or stops responding to requests to run scripts and they queue up
    • Live Connect still has instances where functions won't work as expected

• Remote Control
      • File Manager
      • Command Window
      • Browser tab crashes when closing a live connect tab(frequent) and complete browser crashes (occasional)
    I can live with these, but I would say there is an appreciable impact on productivity. Of course compared with K2008, you would still be ahead in the game. The big thing is the agent stalling and I know they are working on this.

Someone else posted that regardless of these issues, you should cater in your monitoring for both events that occur indicating a problem and for missing events that should be occurring to point out when something is not running. You can trap the latter as the detection is done on the server side and not dependent on the agent.

We should also do our part when submitting tickets to support to shorten the diagnosis process:

• Be as descriptive as possible in your ticket
    • Use something like Jing (free) to do screencasts showing how to recreate the problem. Support loves this!
    • Ensure you reset the Kaseya support user for each ticket
    • Ensure your contact details in the support system are accurate
    • If you use a non-standard SSL port (we do), give support your Kserver URL at the beginning of each ticket

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • I'm just between the two ~500 agents at any given time.

The stalling agents have been a ghosting issue with not happening more than twice a week. But we go through the same procedure when a server shows as off line anyways. Makes for good practice...

• We're around the 3000 client mark.
    Stability has improved towards a more accesptable level. We've only had to log one support call recently and that was dealt with well - not sure when they re-introduced phone support but that was a big win.

Speed is still noticably slower on the same hardware particually with live connect - I almost invariably use the old fashioned remote controll as its far far faster. That said some areas such as the scripting editor which was almost unusably slow to start with have now improved and are now merely slow again.

Like the rest we have machines where the agent ramdomly dies every so often and VNC will invariably produce a spurious error before connecting but its getting reasonably usable all around. Just not sure any of the improvements are sufficiently great to make the pain of upgrading worthwhile...

Legacy Posted By Username: nviner
  • We have almost 2000 agents, with 1800 of them managed (rest backups only). Overall, things are great with K2 and we are very glad we upgraded (running 2 months now). We have had a couple of issues, but hotfixes have resolved them.
    K2 has increased the overall productivity of our techs. We are able to do more without user contact. The couple of tickets we have entered with K support have been resolved, with very quick response/resolution the past few weeks.

Since you have held off on upgrading to this point, I would wait a couple of more weeks and verify that you server is overpowered (don't settle for medicore performance on the server), and make sure you have a clearly outlined upgrade plan and also a plan if things go to hell with the upgrade and you need to go back to K2008.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • hi folks really appreciate the comments.

The disturbing thing is that we are settling for a mediocre performance / agents stalls - pity we are paying such huge money and have to settle for that. I don't think I have every honestly seen an upgrade go so wrong, I am usually jumping on beta products before the paint drys but with this I have been giving it a wide berth.

I pose the question with all these pain points what gain has it given you since you moved from K2008 - You mention overall productivity increase so what has that been.

Again appreciate the comments and welcome more.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • mmartin
    hi folks really appreciate the comments.

The disturbing thing is that we are settling for a mediocre performance / agents stalls - pity we are paying such huge money and have to settle for that. I don't think I have every honestly seen an upgrade go so wrong, I am usually jumping on beta products before the paint drys but with this I have been giving it a wide berth.

I pose the question with all these pain points what gain has it given you since you moved from K2008 - You mention overall productivity increase so what has that been.

Again appreciate the comments and welcome more.

Michael

For us, for the most part it was worth it. We rely heavily on scripts and the nested scripting is wonderful. We don't use Live Connect as much as we should/could but it's been working well for us. Firefox compatibily is super nice as now do two things at once (ie scripting and monitoring work). As for the agent stalling out on us it's few and far between so it hasn't really impacted us (Thankfully).

My advice is that if you decide to push forward with the upgrade, do it and expect some (read: a lot) growing pains. Double check your hardware and make sure you're well above the "minimum requirements". And my normal advice of spending time researching and asking questions about the fixes instead of just complaining about them. There have been, and I think you've seen this too, many duplicate threads on the same issues. Most of us have gone through it and are more than willing to help. I think the biggest, or two biggest issues I had with our upgrade was, first the initial install downed me for half a day when they told me it would only be half an hour, come to find out this was because the KServer tried to update all of our agents at once... yeah it didn't like that very much. The second was that during the upgrade they changed their update docs twice, and in the weeks following it changed at leaset once more, I'm currently waiting on what might be another change.

@JonJohnston and nviner: what kind of hardware are you running... this maybe better suited for a new thread but since my upgrade I've only added ~80 end points mmartin may need to think about a hardware upgrade too.

• I'm still seeing some pain in the actual upgrade process. A couple of technical thing (like scripts going in the wrong folder), and more importantly lots of post migration clean up work (having to repermission every script folder, the fact that all the new admin functions are treated as accessible to standard administrators).

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • thirteentwenty

@JonJohnston and nviner: what kind of hardware are you running... this maybe better suited for a new thread but since my upgrade I've only added ~80 end points mmartin may need to think about a hardware upgrade too.

We have a Keseya front end running on EsxI with two 2.27Ghz Xeon cpu's and currently 6GB of Ram (had 8GB but we are only using about 3.5GB so decreased the allocation). And we have 150MB of bandwidth available for all machines to check into and speed up remote control.

Our backend SQL server is also on our EsxI cluster. It has 4 Xeon 2.27Ghz cpu's with currently 10GB of ram allocated (had 16 but only using 8GB consistently). We hava partiiton for the OS, database, logs, page file, and Kaseya DB backups.

Back to the OP question about how K2 has helped us: Specifically, it allows more automation and/or work without client interaction. Live Connect (I hardly use it but it works great when I do) allows access to service list, comand shell, and other areas that allow items to be checked or worked with out affecting the end user.

K2 feels much faster (but that might just be because of the new servers). Remote sessions usually connect within a few seconds now. Scripting is much improved (at least since the last hotfix specifically for this, not sure what date but was a couple of weeks ago).

Right now, the only thing that could be better is we have machines where the agent locks up when using RDP. I have heard rumors of others having this issue, and for us it is very very random. We have not entered a ticket for it, as usually we can force an agent update and it will not happen again on that machine.

So all in all, K2 is essentially the same product. It is Kaseya, it is there to allow us remote control and automation (to a certain exent anyways). Yes, there are a few bugs in the system still, but it is software so to be expected and they just have to be worked through and patched. But in same way or another, I am sure it has made everyone who has upgraded much more efficient in some way.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • As a heavy users of remote desktop across the WAN, I can say with confidence that this product still needs work.

Basically, they are patching on a very regular basis. If you go to remote to a machine that you haven't been on for a while, more than likely it will need to uninstall and reinstall K-VNC. Across a WAN, it just doesn't seem capable of doing this reliably. Result: frequently the agent dies/hungs/goes to sleep, whatever and from that point a reboot of the client machine is required to get anywhere. And yes, that's extremely embarassing for an IT Support company. What should be a 5 min task, ends up taking 30 mins plus.

To get around this, you pretty much have to remember to uninstall and reinstall K-VNC before running LC. Apparently they are working on something to automatically reinstall K-VNC whenever it's been patched. That can't come soon enough, but I'd prefer a fix to whatever is causing the issue in the first place. Doesn't seem to affect people on a LAN, so most likely a timing issue across the WAN.

Legacy Posted By Username: regisit
  • I have to concur with the problems of remote control. With so many updates coming out for K2 it seems that an uninstall happens after every update. This is a serious problem for clients across the country or on slow wan links. Sometimes it takes an entire day to get Remote Control working again. Growing very tired of K2.

Legacy Posted By Username: kdouglass