Kaseya Community

Alternatives to Backup Exec??

• I know this is not Kaseya related but this is probably one of the best places to get a good varied opinion from other IT providers....

I am using BUDR for image based backups and am resonably pleased with that solution for application servers but I still need to use something for Exchange, SQL, NAS devices, etc.

For a multitude of reasons I have just become annoyed with Backup Exec. I have used it for over 10 years but last few years have not kept up the support because I keep wanting to move ot somethign elMostly it is just related to the constant errors, failures, issues that just seem to never stop.

So much has changed in the last number of years. What other products should I consider or is BE with its annoyances still better than anything else?

Legacy Forum Name: Alternatives to Backup Exec??,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • While I haven't been directly involved in this project, I have heard the folks in the know here raving about StorageCraft ShadowProtect. I know that we were testing it out for a month on a server and had only 1 failure out of the hourly snapshots for the entire month.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cmccloud
  • We've used ArcServe with success for many years, works well for Exchange and SQL level backups.

Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • we use backupexec across the board -we found the key was to keep it updated to the latest version (which normally meant having support)

still get issues but generally all is well

We also use Microsoft DPM - a good product but UI is a bit bare and I think has a bit to go, it does hook directly into Iron Mountain online storage which is good.

personally I would only ever use disk image tools for that local "continuity" type backup not for ongoing data backups - we had a client who used to take USB drives home and it was a nightmare so as much as I don't like it and it is from the dinosaur era we use Tape everywhere and then local big hard disks for server disk based backups.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • For SME - BackupExec still wins hands down for me

Have used ArcServe 11 as well and had many more issues than BE. Even NetBackup has its quirks

BE 12.5 and 2010 (13) are definitly much better that previous versions, and Veritas support has always been tops in my books. (just keep your support contracts up to date)

Legacy Posted By Username: jchuang
  • ShadowProtect is a great product, that is definitely our preferred option. The SBS edition isn't that expensive either.

I had a machine come in earlier this week with a drive that was showing up as unreadable to everything but I was able to image it and restore it to a new disk with very minimal data loss. I was quite impressed.

Legacy Posted By Username: alanuhe
  • alanuhe
    ShadowProtect is a great product, that is definitely our preferred option. The SBS edition isn't that expensive either.

Isn't shadowprotect virtually the same thing as Acronis?

Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • I just started working for a company that offers an alternative to Backup Exec - http://www.strongholddata.com/

The program is mostly web based, written with Java so it works with a wide range of operating systems. Works perfectly with SQL, Exchange servers, etc. All data is encrypted and sent to a secure underground facility in Springfield, MO.

I didn't join the forums just to mention this, but when I saw your topic I decided to add in my two cents. Smile It's worth checking out.

Legacy Posted By Username: jthomas
  • Does anyone have a solution for getting your Storagecraft data off-site? I know that I can mirror across a VPN or FTP, but I am looking for a way to get the data to somewhere like Amazon S3 or the Rackspace cloud.

Legacy Posted By Username: ngen
  • Latest ShadowProtect version (4.x??) supposedly does the offsite thingy from what I remember reading about it. Also centralised management of multiple clients etc etc.

Far too expensive though compared to BU-DR, though obviously BU-DR has a ways to go before it catches up functionality/compatibility wise with SP.

Legacy Posted By Username: teamnet
  • teamnet

Far too expensive though compared to BU-DR, though obviously BU-DR has a ways to go before it catches up functionality/compatibility wise with SP.

BU-DR is fairly rubbish at backup. The current Acronis version BU-DR is using is well behind the main release and Volume Shadow Copy snapshots seem broken.

We currently have a server we back up each day, a while ago I was testing it vs SP and a daily incremental backup with Shadow Protect is about 1.5GB while an incremental backup on the same server with BU-DR is 10-12GB.

That on top of No Exchange backup, no backup of Active directory means you still need other products if you want a granular backup system.

Legacy Posted By Username: andrewra