Kaseya Community

Problems shadowing users sessions through RDP on WIN 7

• We manage our users from Windows 7 workstations.

One client has large terminal services user base on Windows Server 2003.

On Windows XP we could RDP onto the terminal server and shadow a users session no problem.

Now when we try the same we quickly lose the shadow session with a "protocol error".

The problem sounds pretty much as explained here but I'm struggling to see how I can disable RDP options that Kaseya will pass? Not even sure it would be enabling "Desktop Composition" anyway?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;976110

Anyone else with the same or advice?

Legacy Forum Name: Problems shadowing users sessions through RDP on WIN 7,
    Legacy Posted By Username: SteveWebster
  • Hi

A lot of our customers still have 2003x64 Terminal servers. We alway RDP in (through live connect) and have no problems creating shadow session.

do you use KLC of "Remote Control" to start RDP?

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Hans den Boer
  • We started seeing this problem today also when shadowing sessions.

Legacy Posted By Username: jjkruege
  • I've ended up downgrading my MSTSC.exe by copying the .exe, .dll and the two associated files in ./en-US from c:\windows\system32 from a Windows XP machine.

You need to make sure you haven't already upgraded on the XP machine first too!

Took me a while to get round Windows 7 file protection of c:\windows\system32 but got there in the end.

Haven't tested shadowing yet but have been RDP'ing onto servers and it is the older version and it runs OK under Windows 7 so hoping I'll be OK. Will update next week.

Let me know how you go and if you need any more detailed instructions on above I will re-post.

• Hans den Boer
    Hi

A lot of our customers still have 2003x64 Terminal servers. We alway RDP in (through live connect) and have no problems creating shadow session.

do you use KLC of "Remote Control" to start RDP?

Me personally, no, I tend to always go in via "Remote Control" section but I have another tech who does use VLC more and hasn't downgraded yet so will ask him to try to see if that makes a difference.

VLC not that great though if you need plenty of screen space anyway so wouldn't be a long term fix for me at least.

• This problem also occurs attempting to shadow terminal services sessions in Windows 2008. Only just noticed this - I wonder if a Windows patch has recently changed things.

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • strange i use W7 Ent myself and can start shadow sessions on fully patched 2003/2008 terminal servers without any problem

• Hans den Boer
    strange i use W7 Ent myself and can start shadow sessions on fully patched 2003/2008 terminal servers without any problem

I could start them initially but after a few seconds, or when I came to take control or launch apps on their session it bombed.

I've successfully downgraded to RDP client from XP and now back to the way I was again. Not the best solution but couldn't afford not to be able to remote terminal user sessions.

• SteveWebster
    I could start them initially but after a few seconds, or when I came to take control or launch apps on their session it bombed.

I've successfully downgraded to RDP client from XP and now back to the way I was again. Not the best solution but couldn't afford not to be able to remote terminal user sessions.

good to know you found a workarround !