Kaseya Community

Compliance - How do I know Kaseya is working.

• Hi all,

At the Kaseya 2010 conference there was a little bit of discussion regarding compliance especially around KES. Things briefly discussed were. How do we know Definitions are up to date?? How do we know Resident shield is active?? etc....

I would like to take this a bit further and ask the question regarding all aspects of Kaseya. How do we know monitoring is correctly applied and working?? How do we know correct patch locations are set??

Does anyone have an easy way to ensure all aspects of their Kaseya system is doing what it is supposed to??

I can see a few ways of adressing this and would like to get a feel of what is happening out in the community.

• Assigning a Kaseya Administrator who checks things manually and fixes the non-compliant items.
    • Running compliance reports on a regular basis which draw your attention to exceptions.
    • Re-applying settings on a regular basis (weekly) knowing that if anything does go out of compliance then it will fall back in line within a week when the settings are re-applied.

I have only started to look at this and would like to know what is actually being used out there and what the pros and cons of your implementation is.

Legacy Forum Name: Compliance - How do I know Kaseya is working.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • We use a lot of negative reporting.. that is we monitor for something, as well as the absence of it.

Luckily, with Kaseya, the absence monitoring appears to be server side, and will fire if monitoring isn't working correctly.

Andrew

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • Thanks Andrew..

What sort of things have you determined are important NOT to look for?? (or to look for an absence of)
    How do you look for them??? Monitoring, Scripting, Manually looking through reports.

And, Do you have any action applied automatically to get things back into compliance.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Example: Confirming antivirus is up to date.

We run scripts that create an event log entry to indicate that the AV is up to date.

Then use an event log check that alarms if it doesn't see the event in e.g. 3 days.

That way if the script fails, you also get an alarm.

Andrew

• Hi Andrew,

How do you determine that a monitor set is working or do you.

This is a huge issue for us - kaseya can just stop monitoring and you will never know we had that on a number of servers were we had disk space checks and one server ran out of space.

We checked the server and just reapplied the monitor set and it started again.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • There's a report you can run (Monitor Configuration Report) to check that monitor sets are working.

Andrew