Kaseya Community

K2 - Naming convention change?

• Whoa, the naming convention changed? Is there any way to keep the old naming convention?

We have a lot of custom code depending on the names being "machinename.clientname.yadayada". With the naming convention now having switch to "machinename.yadayada.clientname", if this is how things show in e-mails sent out for event monitor triggers, we're up the proverbial creek without a paddle, and have to redo alot of stuff ...

Legacy Forum Name: K2 - Naming convention change?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Bump, We also need an answer on this and so far I havent had a response on my Kaseya Ticket reagrding this.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Dean Osborne
  • It's been a week since I submitted a ticket on this. Other than an "escalation" notice, I have heard nothing. Out hopes and dreams of getting K2 running by the end of March are now shattered.

• Not certain but I am sure the change is due to the ability to house multiple orgs under one Kaseya install. if you use the machine name variable then this shouldn't be an issue. Hope this helps.

Legacy Posted By Username: Screa2
  • I may not have explained the issue very well here.

In K5, in the e-mail template, is used to reference the full machine name (machine name + group id, i.e. Sinope.hancon.pcs)

In K2, the same data key will display the full machine name as "sinope.pcs.hancon"

Since we're relying on the machine names being in the old style in the subject lines of the alert e-mails we receive from our KServer, we're pretty much screwed if we go to the new style ...

• I feel your pain....needed to change a bunch of things as well. I never found another way around it though.

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • Send me your ticket numbers for the naming issue and I will get them aggregated and dealt with by the appropriate person.

brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • We had to bite the bullet as Kaseya said they couldnt help and ConnectWise wernt any more helpful and have had to add in Kaseya multiple managed groups in ConnectWise for all the sub sites and more painstakinly my manager had to change every configuation in ConnectWise to the new format which was about 1300.

• Ouch, that is a lot of modification.

For us we are actually greatful for the change as it is now consistent with proper device.subdomain.domain.tld format. The old format (device.tld.domain) drove me crazy.

Legacy Posted By Username: DavePurscell
  • brendan.cosgrove
    Send me your ticket numbers for the naming issue and I will get them aggregated and dealt with by the appropriate person.

brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com

Ticket number is CS006604

• The answer from Kaseya is:

'There is no option to change this. They are going to need to stay on 5.1 or change there system to work with the new format.'

Ticket closed.

I find it odd, because the "old style" names are still used in the "Select Machine group" dropdown box, even in K2. If it's there, it's available. If it's available, why can't it also be made available for use in alart notifications?

• I'm about to perform my K2 upgrade. I have integration working with Connectwise, and do not wish to lose my configurations.

Connectwise stores the GUID of the agent, but I think it uses the NAME to identify it. This means that I'm probbaly going to have every current configuration in Connectwise go inactive and see 750 new configurations, after running CW sync for the first time on K2.

Has anyone confirmed this? This breaks our ticket tracking, BIG PROBLEM. I need a way to update all my connectwise configurations with the new naming configuration.

Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • Hi Boostmr2,

It doesnt wipe all the configuations but it doesnt update them either. My manager went through and manually changed them to the new format for all the existing configuations. New ones populate correctly though once you update the management tab.

Thanks

Dean

• Thats not so bad then. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to write a SQL command that will go through, check for names with > 2 name parts, and switch the last 2. Example (I will use theoretical vbscript logic, i don't know SQL that well)

Example agent id: computer.company1.location

For each configuration in
    parts = Split(configuration, ".")
    if parts.count > 2
    newname = parts(0) & "." & parts(2) & "." & parts(1)
    End
    which would change it to the proper new Kaseya name, computer.location.company1

This would be much better than doing it by hand. I may talk to one of my programmers about this. I have 750 of these agents to update.

Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • Its worth a try and would prob work on ones like pcname.p.test would rename to pcname.test.p but would have a problem with sub sites i.e. pcname.p.test.home