Kaseya Community

Suggested Backup Systems

• Hello All

It was nice meeting some of you at the conference last week. One of the items I was talking to a few partners about was backups and frustrations related to it.

We host offsite backups for our clients. We used Ahsay for a couple of years and it was horrible. We switched to Vembu Storegrid about 6 months ago after what we believed was good due diligence. Well it turns out that the system can't seem to handle the volume we are throwing at it.

Does anyone have a great offsite backup system that has replication to a secondary server that is working?

thanks!

Erik

Legacy Forum Name: Suggested Backup Systems,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nachbahr
  • Hi nachbahr,

After reading your post I'm a bit worried as we've tested and demo'ed a few dozen backup products and I've been heavily leaning towards Vembu's StoreGrid. Would you mind sharing some of the problems you are experiencing with that product?

I too am interested in what others are using. The lack of proper Exchange and SQL agents keeps me from using BUDR on Servers...

Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pdxkid
  • the issue we are currently having with storegrid is simply that it stops working several times a day. We are finding that some backup jobs have gotten stuck in loops and never run. Just today we want to do a restore and to our shock the entire folder was not available for restore. It is in the list of folders to backup, it is in the backup job report but when you go to the restore option the folder simply does not exist.

I would strongly caution you based on my experience right now. I am actually working with their director fo development on our issues. I can let you know if they fix them if you like (offline). Just send me your contact info you like.

Erik

Legacy Posted By Username: nachbahr
  • But we did an extended trial of Asigra - it was lovely! It has capabilies for active/passive, active/active and N+1 active redundancy, and looked incredibly scalable.

Lisa Barrett (lisa.barrett@asigra.com) was our contact - get a hold of her and ask to demo the software; they're pretty accommodating and the software is pretty awesome.

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • Matthew Bartels
    But we did an extended trial of Asigra - it was lovely! It has capabilies for active/passive, active/active and N+1 active redundancy, and looked incredibly scalable.

Lisa Barrett (lisa.barrett@asigra.com) was our contact - get a hold of her and ask to demo the software; they're pretty accommodating and the software is pretty awesome.

how is its de-dup capabilities?

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    how is its de-dup capabilities?

the de-dup is pretty fantastic; file, block, delta; and it is global to an information store. So let's say you have clients A, B, and C, all with similar setups (SBS 2008, Win7 workstations)...

You sign up A first, and back up everything. The first "pass" is fat, subsequent operations are fully de-duped and very thin, just as you'd expect.

Then B and C sign up and you run their backups... whoa, their initials went a lot faster than A! Every file that is the same size, filename, and MD5 hash (so basically 90% of what's under c:\windows) wasn't transferred, because it wasn't needed!

Of course it ticks all the other boxes on the feature list; "agentless" on the LAN (put the "bridgehead" on one box and it handles the grabbing/deduping/compression/sending), Exchange/SQL support, yadda yadda.

It has a really good billing module too, and a whole ton of add-ons that I'm not going to do justice to by trying to remember them Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • Matthew Bartels
    the de-dup is pretty fantastic; file, block, delta; and it is global to an information store. So let's say you have clients A, B, and C, all with similar setups (SBS 2008, Win7 workstations)...

You sign up A first, and back up everything. The first "pass" is fat, subsequent operations are fully de-duped and very thin, just as you'd expect.

Then B and C sign up and you run their backups... whoa, their initials went a lot faster than A! Every file that is the same size, filename, and MD5 hash (so basically 90% of what's under c:\windows) wasn't transferred, because it wasn't needed!

Of course it ticks all the other boxes on the feature list; "agentless" on the LAN (put the "bridgehead" on one box and it handles the grabbing/deduping/compression/sending), Exchange/SQL support, yadda yadda.

It has a really good billing module too, and a whole ton of add-ons that I'm not going to do justice to by trying to remember them Smile

Thanks for the details, if the higher ups decide to look into it I'll be sure to let lisa know that you sent us...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty