Kaseya Community

Had Enough - Looking for an Alternative

• Just wondering if anyone else has done an up to date comparison with labtech. It seems to be getting traction and kaseya is now costing us $$ in wasted tech time. My lead tech wont touch unless he has to as so much time is wasted with browser crashing etc etc etc.

The biggest concern for me is that K2 is going to be an ongoing problem given its is web based and required IE. I am now thinking they have just taken on more than a web based app can handle(or its just been badly coded)
    Add K2 to the ongoing KES problems and I am burning so many hours per month its no longer worth the hassle. Perhaps they think because we have so much $$ inversted we cant change .... wrong.

I have looked at most of the other alternatives and none seemeed to have the full suite kaseya did.
    Has anyone done a recent comparison, is Labtech as good and compariable as some recently suggest? Instead of wasting time trying to get K to work, ill spend it looking for a replacement.

Legacy Forum Name: Had Enough - Looking for an Alternative,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Steve Morris
  • We too are starting to look at Labtech. We will soon get a demo to start comparing. I am dreading the actual migration though if all works out well. I think the main negative at this point is that Labtech doesnt integrate an antivirus solution just yet but are supposedly working on it.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I'd love to know more about labtech just to satisfy my own curiousity
    looking through their website, it doesn't do anything more than kaseya

support issues aside, what more does labtech do/what problems with kaseya does it resolve?

Legacy Posted By Username: tbone2345
  • I think the big difference is that labtech is an application .. not running in a web browser. This has downsides I know and being a web browser based app was actually a prereq when we first went looking a few years ago.

They are just about to release v3 which brings it inline with K2 .. scary thought changing but from what I can see we are going to be stuck with a K2/IE combo for the forseeable future and as one of my techs said today .. how could it be worse.

We all know IE is stuffed and I and my staff just want it to work.. Each day kserver is stopping and starting, browsers crashing and hanging ... 3 out of 5 days last week kserver stopped at around 3am i assume due to hotfixes being applied.
    Just hope its as good as it sounds .. we'll see....

• P.S .. given the issues with KES .. I would be happy to move to a non integrated product.

• I'm not looking for more.
    I want some simple things.
    I want remote access to work.
    I want the browser not to crash
    I want reports to work.
    I want to not lose half a script because of shitty javascript and the save not saving correctly.
    I want support to actually answer a question with a relevant answer in the same day. F#$% your turnaround time. With the amount of money we pay you could have 1 support person for every 3 clients. This whole thing is BS. I'm so sick of it.

To sum it up I want what I paid good money for. I don't have that now.
    I don't trust my own RMM tool. I dread having to go work with it.
    It's really disheartening and depressing.

I have 250 K2 licenses for sale if anybody wants them.

Legacy Posted By Username: JointTech
  • Steve Morris
    Just wondering if anyone else has done an up to date comparison with labtech. It seems to be getting traction and kaseya is now costing us $$ in wasted tech time. My lead tech wont touch unless he has to as so much time is wasted with browser crashing etc etc etc.
    I have looked at most of the other alternatives and none seemeed to have the full suite kaseya did.

Has anyone done a recent comparison, is Labtech as good and compariable as some recently suggest? Instead of wasting time trying to get K to work, ill spend it looking for a replacement.

We have been using Kaseya for about 2 years. We have a 2,500 node license, with almost 2,000 agents deployed. Kaseya has really helped our business, grown our revenue, helped us increase our business in a tough economy when lots of other businesses were losing business, etc.

That being said, I have regularly been disappointed with errors and with poor support - like many others haev experienced. I am still running K5.1, because I am scared to death to install K2 - because of all of the probelms posted here in the forum. So for now I am sitting tight with v5.1. I really wish I had Nested IFs for scripts, and I whish my reports could show the number of machines running Windows 7 (and not falsely reporting them as Vista). But otherwise, what I have is workign okay rigth now and I don't want to risk the introduction of tons of problems by installing K2.

Rigth now, for me to switch to another RMM tool it would require a ton of time and effort. And in the end, I may just be trading one set of problems with Kaseya for another set of probelms with another RMM vendor. Perhaps that is what Kaseya is banking on, that we won't leave?

But I can tell you that I have seen a number of threads in other places with people actively evaluating alternate solutions and actively switching. To answer the original poster's question, if you use ConnectWise, there is a lengthly active thread in their User Forum for alternatives to Kaseya
    Current Kaseya User - about to dump them -> alternatives (labtech? zenith?)
    http://connectwise.net/Forums/forums/p/6711/150134.aspx#150134

There is also active discussions here
    Kaseya ex-patriots
    http://lipstickonapig.ning.com/

I really don't want to see a mass exodus of current Kaseya users. At this time, I see Kaseya's success/failure as my comapny's success/failure. I truly want Kaseya to succeed. Personally, for now, I am going to wait a while longer and give Kaseya some more time to improve their technicial support, and get their K2 product working better. It is my true hope that they improve things, and I can just keep using Kaseya for many many years to come in the future.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I am so confused as to why the company I work for does not have browser crashes in IE, Firefox nor Chrome. What am I missing? It runs great we have no complaints while others have gotten so upset they are leaving Kaseya for an inferior product?

Legacy Posted By Username: VNET
  • VNET
    I am so confused as to why the company I work for does not have browser crashes in IE, Firefox nor Chrome. What am I missing? It runs great we have no complaints while others have gotten so upset they are leaving Kaseya for an inferior product?

You must be one of the lucky ones, I work pretty heavily in Kaseya and have to restart my browser, or switch between Firefox and IE, at least 4-5 times a day minimum. I've also experienced many times the "losing a script because it won't save or starts throwing random java errors" issue, which is very frustrating. I looked at Labtech a few months ago, and they definitely had some nice features, but it wasn't quite polished enough yet for me. I'll be taking a hard look at it again once they release V3 in the next month or so.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • We had, and still are having, some issues with K2. Our techs love what the product offers, the problem is getting everything to work.
    K2 has been live for two weeks. Last week, the Kserver started stopping at random times, and nothing is being generated in the logs. Kaseya support took a couple of days, but has provided some possible solutions for us to try.

As for browser crashes, IE8 and Google ChromePlus using IE tab both work great for me. Live Connect works great, we have had no issues except a couple of tech machines wanted a reboot after installation.

Overall, we are pleased with what the product offers. We lost countless scripts and monitor sets during the upgrade, and have a ticket with Ksupport to try and recover those (the scripts and monitor sets are in the database, but cannot be seen in the console VSA, or in the case of monitor sets individualally modified).
    Also, any new or system monitor sets are not saving the data sets. We click save, everything is in place for 5 minutes, and then deletes out.

Yes we have had problems. Thankfully, it has not been as bad as it could have been. But we are not even thinking about looking elsewhere for a RMM product. We are going to make the best of what we have, and hopefully Kaseya will get some of the bugs fixed soon.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • JointTech

I want to not lose half a script because of shitty javascript and the save not saving correctly.

Please tell me this K5 bug was fixed in K2...

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • whoo hoo. So I was talking to Ben on the phone tonight for about 2 hours. We were still seeing the VNC issues. Then I think he waved a magic wand Wink because all of a sudden there were new hotfixes to be had. I installed them and also pushed out the 6.0.0.3 agents to all stations. (this is manual. make sure you do it)
    I had 100% success connecting with VNC and opening live connect.
    I had one agent go a little wacky on upgade and went offline but a reboot (via RDP) fixed it.
    I'm not sure what all we talked about in confidence but the losing scripts thing is a known issue. Its in the works to maybe make it save even if it knows there is an error.
    One of my other big gripes is the PCI audit driver. I get new raid cards all the time and I get cards pulled out of servers pretty often (not). I have to use the hardware auditing for some contracts so I cant turn it off. But its on the roadmap to upgrade that peice of the K2 puzzle.
    Anyway it was a good call and I feel much better than I did 24 hours ago.
    I think they say knowing is half the battle. And now at least I know what I just need to work around.
    also live connect/remote access was 90% of my pain so I'm pretty happy right now.

Just click save after every change you make while scripting. Smile dont get lazy or that will be the one that blows up.

Legacy Posted By Username: JointTech
  • we have about 2000 agents deployed, we have about 1000 KES deployed and a quantity of BUDR.

We also have a very comprehensive reporting suite for our clients and we are currently building a client portal all around Kaseya and cw.

However we are currenlty still running 5.1 and aside from slow performance which is due to our hardware we dont' get that much trouble.

I have had huge issues with support and have raised it a number of times only last week been the most recent, we have been told for a number of years now that support is getting better and i am hoping that the portal is going to assist this.

I did run a demo of labtech last month only for a couple of machines and there were some very nice features.

I absolutely love the idea of having an application installed - I hate web applications they are slow and the gui is limited.

Labtech also integrates with your outlook and you can log time into it - it also integrates into connectwise and I reckon eventually the line that divides labtech and connectwise will become a very grey line considering that Connectwise Capital just invested in labtech.

on the downsides to labtech they are a tiny company 25 people or thereabouts and although things might be rosy in the garden now with support I imagine we will see that change once the customer base starts to rise - they have 5 support personell.

Also the patching in labtech is not up to scratch at all - you have to script each patch which is a non runner.

I also got the impression that it really works best just as a desktop support tool, all the really good features were all in the "live connect" area

Also I felt it was a very busy application lots going on in every window sometimes far too much.

We have discussed internally the plan going forward Kaseya or not and we have at least agreed that if we feel we need to walk away we will and we will just deal with the hassle that follows.

I too have to agree with the idea that I hope kaseya does get K2 in order and does start to push forward, they need it to be rock solid and forget about bloody new features and upgrades - also it needs to be fast, I found the trial I did of K2 so slow to use just even clicking between menus.

We are going to stay were we are for the moment and we will be upgrading our hardware over the coming month or two but whether we move to K2 is another story.

Maybe if this labtech move starts to take momentum then Kaseya might sit up and listen.

Somebody should do a blog for their move so everybody else can get an idea of the good the bad and the ugly.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • I was tempted to blog our K2 migration any number of times, but it would've just been an endless stream of cuss words for the first couple of weeks, I'm afraid... and considering that my Twitter activity alone was enough to earn a damage control phone call, well... yeah. Ahem.

I will say that support is getting better. Tickets entered through the portal are actually getting looked at in reasonable time lately, though I'm disappointed that a couple of big tickets are sitting somewhat idle (how big? how about, "not getting hotfixes since April 9" big?) but... it's an improvement.

There's a LabTech eval ticket on my plate but I'm in not particular hurry. (And the info about patch management being a non-starter is highly useful, thank you Michael.)

What's making the whole "stay or go" issue even more entertaining for us right now is that we're just about out of KES licenses... and there's a vendor change on the horizon, apparently, so do we re-up and get stuck with an antivirus backend that we hate? And if we shed KES, what's to stop us from shedding other problematic modules as well (*cough*Acronis*cough*)?

Anyway. We're staying put for now, but like any smart outfit, we're keeping our eyes on the options.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • GreyDuck
    I was tempted to blog our K2 migration any number of times, but it would've just been an endless stream of cuss words for the first couple of weeks, I'm afraid... and considering that my Twitter activity alone was enough to earn a damage control phone call, well... yeah. Ahem.

I will say that support is getting better. Tickets entered through the portal are actually getting looked at in reasonable time lately, though I'm disappointed that a couple of big tickets are sitting somewhat idle (how big? how about, "not getting hotfixes since April 9" big?) but... it's an improvement.

There's a LabTech eval ticket on my plate but I'm in not particular hurry. (And the info about patch management being a non-starter is highly useful, thank you Michael.)

What's making the whole "stay or go" issue even more entertaining for us right now is that we're just about out of KES licenses... and there's a vendor change on the horizon, apparently, so do we re-up and get stuck with an antivirus backend that we hate? And if we shed KES, what's to stop us from shedding other problematic modules as well (*cough*Acronis*cough*)?

Anyway. We're staying put for now, but like any smart outfit, we're keeping our eyes on the options.

I did an eval of Labtech a few months ago, and don't remember having to script each script. The layouts and groupings in Labtech are much different than in Kaseya, but from what I remember you could approve lists of available patches, and then apply those to a Search (similar to Kaseya views, like all XP Desktops). It definitely wasn't as polished as I wanted it to be, and I didn't see the reporting as being any better, which has always been one of our gripes about Kaseya, but they're moving in the right direction.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears