Kaseya Community

SNMP and CPU utilization

• Since upgrading to Kaseya2, I have noticed a huge increase in the amount of CPU utilization with snmpget.exe. Every few minutes, the CPU spikes to 100% with snmpget.exe processes running. It lasts for about a minute or so, then returns to normal - at least on most machines. I have had several machines that are pegged at 90% at all times and spike to 100% every few minutes, and removing the snmpget.exe makes it return to normal. Doing a cancel of the Lan scan does not remove it. I can stop the processes from the task list under remote control, but it just starts again in a few minutes. The only way I have been able to remove it is to uninstall the Kaseya agent, delete the c:\temp\usr folder that contains the snmp programs, then re-install the agent. Anyone else noticing this?

Legacy Forum Name: SNMP and CPU utilization,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lcsiadmin
  • I have the same issue. the snmpget.exe almost runs constantly and will use up SO much CPU it's not even funny. Even though we turn off the scanning of SNMP it still runs.

I thought K2 was suppose to have improvements in this area?

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chimoe
  • Yes, we've noticed this also. Without any SNMP enabled in Kaseya the snmpget.exe still runs and causes CPU spikes.

I'll try uninstalling and installing a fresh agent I guess.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeffro
  • Yes we had this issue as well, it spiked out a server and we had to get in and kill the process and reinstall the agent, dont think the snmp is working at the moment.

Legacy Posted By Username: jrodirguez
  • ...so it's not just us, then. Nice.

We only had SNMP scanning of the firewall running at one particular problem-client, and I had to turn that back off because of the abusive behavior of the SNMP processes. Feh.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • Seeing the same thing here. I usually will go in and uninstall the agent and then reinstall. Quite a pain.

Legacy Posted By Username: kswanda
  • You can limit the amount of snmpget.exe processes that get spawned with a pretty simple SQL Query:

UPDATE users
    SET maxsnmpThreads = 5
    WHERE agentguid =

You can set the maxsnmpThreads value to whatever you want.

Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • jviggiano
    You can limit the amount of snmpget.exe processes that get spawned with a pretty simple SQL Query:

UPDATE users
    SET maxsnmpThreads = 5
    WHERE agentguid =

You can set the maxsnmpThreads value to whatever you want.

What effect on CPU usage have you seen when you limit the number of threads set as the maximum?

(We are having the same problems here and have completely sidelined all SNMP monitoring until the problems are resolved)

Legacy Posted By Username: jason@ndinc.ca
  • jason@ndinc.ca
    What effect on CPU usage have you seen when you limit the number of threads set as the maximum?

(We are having the same problems here and have completely sidelined all SNMP monitoring until the problems are resolved)

The fewer threads spawn the fewer CPU cycles taken up, however it's like to take a little longer to go through the SNMP Walks.

Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • jviggiano
    The fewer threads spawn the fewer CPU cycles taken up, however it's like to take a little longer to go through the SNMP Walks.

Thank you jviggiano, I will give it a shot and report back.

• Don't have anything schedule to scan the lan, yet this happens (it seems to be using a computer I had once used in the past though).

Legacy Posted By Username: Zestysoft
  • We had the same thing happen on our end.

You need to uninstall the agent on the effected system, remove the folder that contains the SNMPGet.exe (it should be a subfolder of the agent working directory) and then reinstall the agent.

• Not a fix but a workaround.

We had the Kaseya server itself pounded with snmp get process spiking up CPU sporadically. I ran out of ideas and used the Kaseya application blocker to block it.

And used the alert section to report out the daily hits for the process.

This has been discussed on different threads here and reinstalling agent may help as well.

Legacy Posted By Username: mnagra
  • first try to unassign the snmpset again. After that, check if the problem still exists. If the snmpget.exe is still running then delete:

#agenttemp#\KMonitorSets\KSNMPMON#.......xml

Legacy Posted By Username: KCBeuningen