Kaseya Community

RAID Configuration

• How to check hardware RAID configuration through Kaseya or If any other tools available.

Legacy Forum Name: RAID Configuration,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pawan
  • pawan
    How to check hardware RAID configuration through Kaseya or If any other tools available.

For our servers we just make sure the HP System Management tools are installed, or Dell's Array Manager software depending on the manufacturer of the server. Those applications will then write events to the event log for any hardware failures, so you can easily create an event log monitoring set to watch and alert for them.

*I just re-read your question, and if you're just looking to see what kind of RAID is on the server, and aren't worried about the status itself, then I'm not sure how to see that through Kaseya.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • Basically; there is no single way to check hardware RAID config, through Kaseya or anything else!

If you're looking at a Dell, chances are you have a PERC. With HP, it'll be a Smart Array. With IBM, it'll be ServeRAID or some such. And with anything (including all of the above, and "whitebox" hardware as well) you could be facing a 3rd party RAID; Adaptec, Promise, 3ware, and others.) Each one has its own specific tool; there is no standard way to address what's "inside" the RAID container. As far as Windows knows (and therefore, tools like Kaseya that talk to the APIs in Windows) you have one big hard drive named "Logical Volume" - the physical drives inside are invisible to anything but the tool specific to the RAID controller hardware.

It would be nice if Kaseya had the ability to implement some smart detection, and specifically support all the major vendors (where they have documented APIs) - but it doesn't, and as far as I know, Kaseya isn't extensible to "automatically" import that information.

The only plan I can think of would be this:
    1. Build a list of PCI IDs for identification
    2. Find APIs that you can call to get a physical layout for each vendor/type
    3. Write a VBScript that looks up the mass storage devices in a managed system with the list from (1), and if it finds a match to something it knows use the API from (2) to get the physical info and dump it to a text file.
    4. Run this script from Kaseya, and grab the text file to "Get Files" or write it in the script log, and run a report against it.

Basically, this would be a very complicated undertaking, and would probably have to be constantly updated to keep up with new models, but would be very interesting!

Anyone done something like this, or know of a commercial product that does?

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels