Kaseya Community

Scheduling Hotfixes?

• Is there a way to designate the time Kaseya hotfixes get installed? I looked thru the boards and haven't found anything on it. Kind of a pain when its in the middle of the business day. I don't want to disable them, just reschedule for later in the evening.

Thoughts?

Legacy Forum Name: Scheduling Hotfixes?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Sqwidd
  • The only way I'm aware of doing anything with the hotfixes is to have it enabled or disabled. I've gone back to manual updates because when it cycles the asp.net process. This apparently can happen when a hotfix is released that involves a dll or when the asp.net process recycles at a set time.

They have a hotfix that's being tested already from what i'm being told but hasn't been released public yet until it is confirmed working. Here are the suggestions i was given:

1. One suggestion to stop it from occurring during the day is to turn of automatic hotfixes and then manually apply them during the late afternoon or evening. I know that is a pain but if you do this for the interium (until the session hotfix is completed) the customer experience won't be impacted.
    2. You can change the automatic recycle to be off hours so that does not run every 29 hours. You change that setting in IIS (from the developer here is what you do) - if they are using an application pool and if that pool is configured with the default setting of ‘Recycle worker processes (in minutes): 1740’. This will cause a recycle every 1740 minutes or 29 hours. A better configuration would be to advise the customer to set up recycling at a specific time, when volume is low.

I have not tried option 2, i just got for option 1 and then disclose in support tickets that i open that we have automatic checks turned off on purpose.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tsorensen@group1auto.com
  • A hotfix to fix the hotfixes? Oh the joy of that....kinda fun to say tho

Thanks for your advice

• tsorensen@group1auto.com
    The only way I'm aware of doing anything with the hotfixes is to have it enabled or disabled. I've gone back to manual updates because when it cycles the asp.net process. This apparently can happen when a hotfix is released that involves a dll or when the asp.net process recycles at a set time.

They have a hotfix that's being tested already from what i'm being told but hasn't been released public yet until it is confirmed working. Here are the suggestions i was given:

1. One suggestion to stop it from occurring during the day is to turn of automatic hotfixes and then manually apply them during the late afternoon or evening. I know that is a pain but if you do this for the interium (until the session hotfix is completed) the customer experience won't be impacted.
    2. You can change the automatic recycle to be off hours so that does not run every 29 hours. You change that setting in IIS (from the developer here is what you do) - if they are using an application pool and if that pool is configured with the default setting of ‘Recycle worker processes (in minutes): 1740’. This will cause a recycle every 1740 minutes or 29 hours. A better configuration would be to advise the customer to set up recycling at a specific time, when volume is low.

I have not tried option 2, i just got for option 1 and then disclose in support tickets that i open that we have automatic checks turned off on purpose.

I received this from Kaseya support today in regards to random logouts we were having. Hopefully it helps.

Hotfix 8089 issued to activate persistent session state management.
    Session state is now preserved in ksubscribers.aspnestSesstionState table.
    Active sessions will now survive recycles of ASP.NET appPool, Dot Net appDomain reloads or IIS resets.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • We're running 8112 and at 3:50pm today we all got kicked out so Kaseya could fix itself.

• please look at: http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/132/t/8088.aspx

Legacy Posted By Username: Hans den Boer
  • You replied with a link on a thread I was already posting/reading on? Thanks anyway I think?

I guess I should just take it that either no body knows, or its impossible to adjust the schedule (not counting the lame workaround of turning off and turning on the updates twice a day) Kaseya isn't going to add this option any time soon i'm betting either...grrrrr

• Sqwidd,

We are currently discussing a better mechanism for customers to manage the flow of updates and hotfixes. I don't have an ETA. Its an area that has been identified as something we would like to improve and possible solutions are being looked at in terms of feasibility.

I wish I could be more specific, but that's what I know right now. Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • Prolly going to be 6.1 right along with IE 64bit Live Connect support, right? Smile

Hopefully this will be sooner than that tho. Its an extreme PIA to have to work around the constant hotfix reboots.

• hehehe...I hate dealing in "futures" on this type of thing. I'll make sure it get's bundled with 64-bit IE KLC. Smile Probably 6.0.32.10948.542b.

Its been a long week...i hope you laughed when you read that....i laughed writing it.

• ok. So this was much farther along that I thought (or not as much work as I thought. I am not a dev.) A little birdie here told me about this:

Hotfix 8164: serverInfo.asp, adds in the ability to select the time of day when hotfixing occurs

This one apparently goes hand in hand with 2 more hotfixes that will improve the way the kserver detects, downloads and checks systems for the presence of hotfixes.

I don't know exactly when this one is going out.

• It's released now Smile
    Running Hotfix 8170 and now you are able to set it under Configure -> Enable automatic check every day at xx:xx

/Martin

Legacy Posted By Username: martin@upstream.se
  • Sweet deal! Nice work Team Kaseya!