Kaseya Community

How to get K2 working fast in IE! (And All other Ajax/javascripts)

• Everyone complains about K2 in IE. And we (mostly) all know it is IE and Javascript/Ajax.

We changed to Google Chrome when it first came out and use it by default - it is the fastest browser to date.

Unfortunately Chrome is not supported by K2 and none of the live connect or remote control work in Chrome. But there is a way to make it work! And it Flys!!! ( Less than a second to load)

Google brought out GoogeFrame for IE. A small add on to IE which uses Chrome in IE. The good news is it makes it fast for javascript as the chrome frame is doing the work. It also (allegedly) removes some of the IE exploits too. And finally although you have to install the Kaseya Remote dll and the Live Connect plugins in your browser again (just the once) they all work.

So you get to use K2 in IE at Google Chrome speeds.

To get ChromeFrame go to www.google.com/chromeframe

It is a small download/setup and takes a minute or so to install.

Thanks
    Mark

Legacy Forum Name: How to get K2 working fast in IE! (And All other Ajax/javascripts),
    Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Shehan
  • Thanks Mark !

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Hans den Boer
  • When Google cautions it is an "early developer preview" I am a bit reluctant to put it on any machine doing production work.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • smbtechnology
    When Google cautions it is an "early developer preview" I am a bit reluctant to put it on any machine doing production work.

Honestly I have been using it for a few months without a glitch.

I have one site in IE that doesnt like it and as it is just a plug in with IE it is a quick click to disable it and no browser restart.

Compared to the time I save with it when we have to use IE then I say it is worth it.

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Shehan
  • Why is it an acceptable answer to say that K2 is slow in IE because IE sucks at ajax/javascript? Shouldn't the developers known that a majority of customers use IE and that the underlying technology choice for K2 needs to reflect that. It almost seems as though the technology choice was made without thinking about the real world implications.

Legacy Posted By Username: eegolf
  • According to the Chromeframe developer's guide, this would only work if Kaseya put

In the top of the pages.

Unless I am reading that wrong..

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • It looks to me that a function is being triggerd with every keystroke when editing templates, tickets and so forth. I am asking myself if this cannot be prevented speeding up the general UI significantly.

Legacy Posted By Username: BertHaver
  • BertHaver
    It looks to me that a function is being triggerd with every keystroke when editing templates, tickets and so forth. I am asking myself if this cannot be prevented speeding up the general UI significantly.

I am still suprised that Kaseya's own portal site still has the same issue with typing. They really need to fix the typing issues.

BertHaver
    Why is it an acceptable answer to say that K2 is slow in IE because IE sucks at ajax/javascript? Shouldn't the developers known that a majority of customers use IE and that the underlying technology choice for K2 needs to reflect that. It almost seems as though the technology choice was made without thinking about the real world implications.

That is a very good question since the full Live Connect only functions 100% correctly in Internet Explorer 8. The Live Connect plugin for Firefox is missing some of the features that the Live Connect plugin for IE 8 has. That is why I tell all my customers they must use Internet Explorer 7 or 8 if they plan on accessing my Kaseya website. Sadly, is anyone suprised by this given Kaseya's track record over the last two years with releases?

Legacy Posted By Username: Chris T
  • eegolf
    Why is it an acceptable answer to say that K2 is slow in IE because IE sucks at ajax/javascript? Shouldn't the developers known that a majority of customers use IE and that the underlying technology choice for K2 needs to reflect that. It almost seems as though the technology choice was made without thinking about the real world implications.

I completely agree with this statement. I spoke with Kaseya support and their response was that IE has not caught on to the Web 2.0 Revolution. To me that sounds like delusional retorhic. They did us (their clients) a disservice by knowingly developing on a platform that does not work well in the real world. K2 has crippled my ability to function with Kaseya and I am spending months focusing on their product instead of focusing on business.

Legacy Posted By Username: kdouglass
  • I am also going to go on record as saying, its not like the Ajax in K2 is the "bees knees" with chrome or firefox. I found that it is marginally better but still slow. Has anyone found a speed increase with the K2 UI that allows them to perform their day to day tasks quicker? My feeling is that the UI speed is almost acceptable but hardly revolutionary. My guess is that with the hotfixes and such that Kaseya get it to acceptable in a month or two but not to the point that I would like. Someone with a different experience please let me know.

I have 2500 nodes with about 3-6 VSA's logged in during business hours. I have two dual quad core processors attached to an HP EVA San via fiber channel with 16GB RAM. If someone tells me my problem is because i need a dedicated front end box i am happy to do so.

Legacy Posted By Username: eegolf
  • For giggles I tryed the IE9 developers preview which suposedly has much greater javascript performance. It was very strange - the icons and kaseya toolbars displayed much much quicker, but instead there was a long lag for the machines to be displayed.

Perhaps its our server being overloaded but I'm not convinced its just a problem with the speed the javascript is interpreted

Legacy Posted By Username: nviner
  • I checked taskmgr after installing chrome frame, while logged into our K2 server using IE - I did not see any chrome processes running - this was while clicking on service desk, agent procedures, the real slow - java thick pages.

what am i missing?

Mark Shehan
    Everyone complains about K2 in IE. And we (mostly) all know it is IE and Javascript/Ajax.

We changed to Google Chrome when it first came out and use it by default - it is the fastest browser to date.

Unfortunately Chrome is not supported by K2 and none of the live connect or remote control work in Chrome. But there is a way to make it work! And it Flys!!! ( Less than a second to load)

Google brought out GoogeFrame for IE. A small add on to IE which uses Chrome in IE. The good news is it makes it fast for javascript as the chrome frame is doing the work. It also (allegedly) removes some of the IE exploits too. And finally although you have to install the Kaseya Remote dll and the Live Connect plugins in your browser again (just the once) they all work.

So you get to use K2 in IE at Google Chrome speeds.

To get ChromeFrame go to www.google.com/chromeframe

It is a small download/setup and takes a minute or so to install.

Thanks
    Mark

Legacy Posted By Username: info@csiw.com
  • I installed chrome frame - no chrome process are running in taskmgr when using IE logged into K2

I think this is correct:

According to the Chromeframe developer's guide, this would only work if Kaseya put

Code:

In the top of the pages.

• info@csiw.com
    I installed chrome frame - no chrome process are running in taskmgr when using IE logged into K2

I think this is correct:

According to the Chromeframe developer's guide, this would only work if Kaseya put

Code:

In the top of the pages.

You can set this on the Properties of the Kaseya Web Site in IIS Manager. Just have it add a custom header.

RCS-Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Ahh great idea - But live connect doesnt work in chrome, thus doesn't work in chrome frame - any thoughts on this?

[QUOTE=RCS-Michael;56947]You can set this on the Properties of the Kaseya Web Site in IIS Manager. Just have it add a custom header.

RCS-Michael[/QUOTE]