Kaseya Community

iPad support

• tregas
    Do we really, honestly have so much pride in Microsoft and their products that we have to make fun of Apple and their decidedly better quality products? I find myself apologizing for Microsoft on an almost daily basis.

For my part, the issue isn't having pride in Microsofts products, but having little faith in Apples products. People keep complaining about the Microsoft monopoly, but take a look at Apple: they control all the hardware and the software for all their products. Anyone else try to do something gets slapped with a lawsuit so fast their head will spin.

Also, there's no "decidedly better quality" from Apple. Their hardware is just as prone to failure as everyone elses. Their software is patched for security issues as much as Windows is, if not even more. Apple is living on hype and a very (arrogant) crowd of followers, who will eat up everything that Master Jobs serves out.

There is nothing that can be done on an Apple machine that cannot be done cheaper, better and/or faster on a Windows machine.

As for making fun of? Well, I guess Apple set themselves up for this one by naming their product after a feminine hygene product. I expect Apple to start suing manufactorers of these products soon for "trademark infringement".

With the leaked info on the HP Slate device, I'm much more interesting in that than I ever will be in an oversized iPod. At least it comes with local storage and expandability. And multitasking. And actual applications, like Word and Excel.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Lmhansen
    For my part, the issue isn't having pride in Microsofts products, but having little faith in Apples products. People keep complaining about the Microsoft monopoly, but take a look at Apple: they control all the hardware and the software for all their products. Anyone else try to do something gets slapped with a lawsuit so fast their head will spin.

Microsoft is considered a monopoly because it controls 90% of the market. You can't call Apple a monopoly because it controls is hardware and software. That is the legal right of any company. Let's say you created a device which could automatically cut people's hair, but if an untrained individual fiddled with the settings it would decapitate them. You lock it down, and you keep it locked down, despite the complaints.

Lmhansen
    Also, there's no "decidedly better quality" from Apple. Their hardware is just as prone to failure as everyone elses. Their software is patched for security issues as much as Windows is, if not even more. Apple is living on hype and a very (arrogant) crowd of followers, who will eat up everything that Master Jobs serves out.

You are correct. Even more so now, Apple's components are the same ones used by PC makers. Where you are wrong is that Apple doesn't jump around from supplier after supplier to get the cheapest parts. They spec a part, find someone who will make it their way or that meets their spec already, and they stick to it. That makes a system stable and predictable, something Microsoft-based systems will never be.

Damn right I'm arrogant. If Apple were "living on hype", as you say, it would have been dead a long time ago. Apple invented the market you work in. The only reason Microsoft is in the position its in now is because Bill Gates had no scruples and would do anything to make his products the only products. Just so you now, I don't grab up everything Apple dishes out. I do not have a recent Mac, an iPhone, or an iPad. My MacBook Pro is over 3 years old now, and that replaced one I had for nearly 7.

Lmhansen
    There is nothing that can be done on an Apple machine that cannot be done cheaper, better and/or faster on a Windows machine.

Actually, there is something you can do on a cheaper, slower, less stable, less reliable Windows-based PC which you can't do in Mac OS X; catch viruses. Don't even bother trotting out that line about how Mac OS X is either too obscure for malware coders to bother or that there are viruses for the Mac. It doesn't wash.

Lmhansen
    As for making fun of? Well, I guess Apple set themselves up for this one by naming their product after a feminine hygene product. I expect Apple to start suing manufactorers of these products soon for "trademark infringement".

For Apple to sue the makers of feminine hygiene products would be illegal, and the idea that they would do it is ridiculous. Besides, how many people make fun on the PADD of Star Trek fame? ZERO. Since when did the word 'pad' become so juvenile.

Lmhansen
    With the leaked info on the HP Slate device, I'm much more interesting in that than I ever will be in an oversized iPod. At least it comes with local storage and expandability. And multitasking. And actual applications, like Word and Excel.

I'm not surprised. Ignoring the fact that Microsoft has failed to break the tablet market in one form or another for the last decade, only the last iteration of which was Project Origami which miserably fell flat, is par for the course for unapologetic Windows phanboiz. The iPad comes in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB models, has wifi and a 3G option (non-contract, unlimited, GSM is unlocked), and handles Word and Excel documents just fine, and if multi-tasking is so important, why can't human's do it?

I will sum this up by saying that Microsoft deserves every last bit of vitriol I spew at it. They are lazy forgers who can't code themselves out of a paper bag. They make bad, insecure, unreliable software and deserve what they get. Apple has done nothing but make reliable, capable hardware and smart, powerful software. They don't always hit the mark and I get frustrated with my Mac on occasion, but I get far more done with a Mac in my life then I ever have whilst relying on Windows.

I will never apologize for that. Eek

Legacy Posted By Username: tregas
  • tregas
    Microsoft is considered a monopoly because it controls 90% of the market. You can't call Apple a monopoly because it controls is hardware and software. That is the legal right of any company. Let's say you created a device which could automatically cut people's hair, but if an untrained individual fiddled with the settings it would decapitate them. You lock it down, and you keep it locked down, despite the complaints.

You are correct. Even more so now, Apple's components are the same ones used by PC makers. Where you are wrong is that Apple doesn't jump around from supplier after supplier to get the cheapest parts. They spec a part, find someone who will make it their way or that meets their spec already, and they stick to it. That makes a system stable and predictable, something Microsoft-based systems will never be.

Damn right I'm arrogant. If Apple were "living on hype", as you say, it would have been dead a long time ago. Apple invented the market you work in. The only reason Microsoft is in the position its in now is because Bill Gates had no scruples and would do anything to make his products the only products. Just so you now, I don't grab up everything Apple dishes out. I do not have a recent Mac, an iPhone, or an iPad. My MacBook Pro is over 3 years old now, and that replaced one I had for nearly 7.

Actually, there is something you can do on a cheaper, slower, less stable, less reliable Windows-based PC which you can't do in Mac OS X; catch viruses. Don't even bother trotting out that line about how Mac OS X is either too obscure for malware coders to bother or that there are viruses for the Mac. It doesn't wash.

For Apple to sue the makers of feminine hygiene products would be illegal, and the idea that they would do it is ridiculous. Besides, how many people make fun on the PADD of Star Trek fame? ZERO. Since when did the word 'pad' become so juvenile.

I'm not surprised. Ignoring the fact that Microsoft has failed to break the tablet market in one form or another for the last decade, only the last iteration of which was Project Origami which miserably fell flat, is par for the course for unapologetic Windows phanboiz. The iPad comes in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB models, has wifi and a 3G option (non-contract, unlimited, GSM is unlocked), and handles Word and Excel documents just fine, and if multi-tasking is so important, why can't human's do it?

I will sum this up by saying that Microsoft deserves every last bit of vitriol I spew at it. They are lazy forgers who can't code themselves out of a paper bag. They make bad, insecure, unreliable software and deserve what they get. Apple has done nothing but make reliable, capable hardware and smart, powerful software. They don't always hit the mark and I get frustrated with my Mac on occasion, but I get far more done with a Mac in my life then I ever have whilst relying on Windows.

I will never apologize for that. Eek

Blah blah blah (And that goes for lmhanson too )... and thats all it really is to most people here... Our jobs are to aide and fix for other people. Some of us support Apple products, some of us don't...

moving on and back to the original request... Kaseya needs to straighten things out with their current build before adding on functionality for other devices... in the end that's all it is, a device. End of story. If a handfull of people are going to make so much noise that Kaseya cannot fix their product those handfulls should be banished. I recall when the iPhone first was released... how many people ran out to get that damned thing only to find that it wouldn't work with their exchanges systems (yay for us we got paid to do the upgrades) then they freaked out because of their bill... (which is under control now)... I foresee the same thing happening with the iPad too...

So to you (tregas) I say be patient... It will come when it comes... To the rest of you... let him be... I poke fun at Mac useres, calling them zealots and what not but in the end it's their preferance... and theirs alone. Example. I've been using tablet PCs since XP tablet edition came out years ago... before the iPad, iPhone, and most touch screen phones were populerized. They've worked well for me in the past and will continue to work well for me in the future... They're comfortable and familiar... Personally I don't like the Mac OS(whateverversiontheyreonnow/somecatnamehere) GUI just the same as I dont like most *nix GUIs (I'll operate in CLI before firing x).

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let this thread become a flame war...

Blah blah blah... if you so decide

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • You need to lighten up a little and relax. The "pad" jokes are just that, jokes. It's ok to smile a little.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • And it's a little fun to pick at Apple/MS with the same stale arguments that everyone else has been using for several years now ("taste great!" "Less filling"). Cause if we didn't make fun of both of them, we'd probably have to cry over the way we've been manipulated by them (and their marketing hype) over the past several years!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Sure. I'll lighten up. I can do that. Apple rools, MS drools Stick out tongue

• Over 40 and supremely juvenile. Wow.

• Wow....I haven't seen this lively a MS vs APPL debate in a while. Thanks guys. I can say that the iPad is on the radar but there are other things we'd like to get squared away first that will have ramifications no matter what device you use to access Kaseya.

In terms of managing an iPad, ie. putting an agent on it, well, with today's announcement of multitasking it MIGHT be possible, but since that was just announced today, I can't even venture a guess on when we'll work towards putting an agent on the iPad. (which isn't the same thing as me asking dev for it.)

One of the guys here has been passing his iPad around and I must say I am more impressed than I thought I would be. Apple showed me I "need" something I didn't even know I "needed." Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • brendan.cosgrove
    In terms of managing an iPad, ie. putting an agent on it...

Interestingly enough, as the Apple fanatic who opened this thread, I didn't make it as clear as I should have that I intend Kaseya support for the iPad from an administrator's POV only. I'm sure it will be manageable in the Enterprise sense with its Exchange and policy compliance feature set already in OS3 and being fleshed out in OS4. That works for me :O The only thing it can't do directly is remote access. There are VNC and RDP clients for the iPhone, so I would assume some of those developers will update them for the iPad. Its just a matter of figuring out how to pass the request from the browser to the app without using ActiveX or a Windows-only executable. Can't do it in Java, either. How about a Kaseya branded remote access app? You could even slip in a WebKit module so it can handle the management interface without needing the browser app. I'm no coder, but it seems to me it should be possible.

[edited by: Anonymous at 8:05 PM (GMT -7) on 3-31-2011] You would think for as much as you pay for kaseya they would develope an application for the iPad by now, I've seen smaller companies that put together apps like mobilepcmonitor.com and jump desktop.com that work great and don't cost anything close to kaseya. Come on people it's time to give us support for what we need to run our business.
  • tregas
    I'm no coder, but it seems to me it should be possible.

Anything is possible given time and effort. I can code (and choose not to for a varity of reasons) and have heard (and been forced to take) a fair amount of not so reasonable requests... My stance still stands, Kaseya should work more of the "bugs" out of K2 before moving on. I'm sure there will be someone that will probably figure out a way to do a hack-n-shack and get the admin bit working. But until then... it's just time.

From what I understand administration from an Apple is slim at best. I could be wrong, I don't use a Mac, my reasons are stated else where in this thread. But if this is the case why not put forth the effort there, (the Mac OS) rather than just singling out the iPad?

Also worth noting, is that I can admin from my Incite. It's a pain in the butt and next worthless but it is do-able.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • the iPad is definitely a "proof of concept" product. By this I mean its showing that "pad" computers can be productive in a home or business environment, and can build a viable niche. I just bought one on Tues, and even though I pick on Apple any chance I get (its just fun to pull the stings of an apple zelot!). Frankly I see it as having the potential to push this market (pad devices) to becoming very useful tools for the business and home sector.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • You're right K2 needs refinement, interestingly one of the refinements is how Live Connect is using ActiveX etc, so solving some of the issues around that may translate into better interaction on a device like the iPad. I've logged into a K2 VSA on the iPad, but obviously remote control doesn't happen.

I'll keep you posted if I hear more around the proverbial water cooler. I have certainly made the requests known.

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove