Kaseya Community

iPad support

• A storm will now be brewing off the coast of Kaseya, now that the iPad is out. I would ask, then, that you Kaseya developers get working on an iPad compatible version of the Kaseya interface. There are VNC and RDP clients for the iPhone already, so it won't be long before they optimize them for the iPad.

Call me a phanboi all you want, but I see the iPad as the ultimate mobile sysadmin tool. Light, fast, easy to use, long battery life (7-12 hours based on various reports), and Apple support behind it, one of the best in the industry.

Start making room in your budget. 64GB iPad 3G --> $830.

Legacy Forum Name: iPad support,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tregas
  • Does your iPad have wings? Or is that the bigger version the _ _ _ _ P A D (come on guys you can guess what goes next!)

:-)

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • tregas
    A storm will now be brewing off the coast of Kaseya, now that the iPad is out. I would ask, then, that you Kaseya developers get working on an iPad compatible version of the Kaseya interface. There are VNC and RDP clients for the iPhone already, so it won't be long before they optimize them for the iPad.

Call me a phanboi all you want, but I see the iPad as the ultimate mobile sysadmin tool. Light, fast, easy to use, long battery life (7-12 hours based on various reports), and Apple support behind it, one of the best in the industry.

Start making room in your budget. 64GB iPad 3G --> $830.

My tablet cost about the same, and it's already supported. No jumping through hoops or hacking this that or the other thing to get it to work.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    My tablet cost about the same, and it's already supported. No jumping through hoops or hacking this that or the other thing to get it to work.

I would never suggest anyone switch from something that already works for them. If a 5 lbs. tablet PC with a 2-3 hour battery life works for you, by all means don't stop Wink

• boudj
    _ _ _ _ P A D

Wow! You actually went there!

• tregas
    I would never suggest anyone switch from something that already works for them. If a 5 lbs. tablet PC with a 2-3 hour battery life works for you, by all means don't stop Wink

5 pounds really isnt much when you actually think about it and concidering that most of the time it'll be in it's dock or in a resting position on ones lap or table, I wouldn't worry about the weight. Heck my LAN bag weighs much more than that... my battery life is closer to 7 hours. And I'm not realiant on another computer to function... But most of all it already works...

Anyways we could go at this all day long... I doubt we'll be offering support for it for a while as there are bound to be issues with it in its first few incarnations.

• boudj
    Does your iPad have wings? Or is that the bigger version the _ _ _ _ P A D (come on guys you can guess what goes next!)

:-)

i think i guessed it...

Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • The HP slate got the iPad beat on pretty much everything, and since it's running Windows, Kaseya already support it.

There are enough things "broken" in Kaseya that needs to be fixed before they start developing apps for an oversized iPod.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • I just bought an Ipad today (yes I got the $699 Maxi version) to play with. I see some potential here for our engineers. Give me a few days of toying around with it and I'll update this thread with my worthless thoughts (lets hope I can stop snickering at the naming of it long enough to take it serious, cause it really does seem to have some potential).

• boudj
    I just bought an Ipad today (yes I got the $699 Maxi version) to play with. I see some potential here for our engineers. Give me a few days of toying around with it and I'll update this thread with my worthless thoughts (lets hope I can stop snickering at the naming of it long enough to take it serious, cause it really does seem to have some potential).

Good luck. If you haven't stopped snickering after 2.5 minutes I'm afraid that the giggles will continue, especially when you introduce it to someone else...

I've found that minis and tablets are of great use in the field. The techs here are split on which one is of greater use to them. I just say it depends on what they like more. Personally I don't care either way, as long as I can get what I need on something that doesn't belong to the client is all that really matters to me.

• The biggest argument for Apple right now is Windows. Sure, I agree that our category of computer user is generally immune to viral infection, mostly because we know what we're doing and what not to use (Internet Exploder and Outlook anyone?), but doesn't it bother anyone that we defend Microsoft? Do we really, honestly have so much pride in Microsoft and their products that we have to make fun of Apple and their decidedly better quality products? I find myself apologizing for Microsoft on an almost daily basis.

Apple isn't perfect, and Jobs is a controlling sonuvagun, but when I need a platform which works, isn't bogged down with security issues, delivers me access to all platforms (Windows can't do Mac, even in a VM) I don't want a sloppy PC. I have to support PCs because that's what everyone is stuck with, but I don't like it. If I can make my life easier by managing systems with a Mac, I will, and because of that I'd like iPad support. Hell, it would be nice if we could just get Mac OS X or Linux support, for that matter. Its not like there aren't VNC viewer clients for those platforms.

Anyway... rant over.

• Well said Smile

Lmhansen
    There are enough things "broken" in Kaseya that needs to be fixed before they start developing apps for an oversized iPod.

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • Got to agree with ReedMikel and Lmhansen on this one. Lets make sure that the core product is working properly before getting new platforms added.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • First a reply to that kind of shortsightedness... the real problem is Apple is still trying to CONTROL everything related to its product. Only recently are they "slightly" discovering the benefits of an open platform. Frankly, back before MS announced Win95 Apple was very close to taking MS's foot off of thier throat and kicking MS's (& IBM) feet from underneath them. But the board kicked Jobs out and shot down his ideas to open their hardware platform up. And the rest of the story is just plain history. Now Apple is going down that slope again, and they definitely have two superior products (iPhone & iPad) that can be market (business changers). But once again they do "restrictive decisions" that cripples thier charge to be a leader (iPhone ONLY with ATT, and similarly when the iPad releases its 3G/4G plans). So the lesson learned from Apple, superior doesn't mean better.

Now, as for an update on my iPad I bought yesterday. I found it as easy to use as an iPhone (check that, it actually is easier to use that an iPhone). I love the email integration (I am usingthe Exchange integration). Using the WiFi is a snap (no issues). I have a hard case on order (makes the iPad look like an actually business pad) and look forward to using it. I also ordered the iPad dock so I can sit it up and use it as a picture frame at the house when not in use. Then when I need it I grab it, enter my secret code, and check my mail (easier than going to my PC). When done, I can browse the Internet, or check out a movie at netflix, and then finished put it back on the doc as a picture frame. Frankly I can immediately see the benefits for home use.

Now for business use, I will soon check out loading Connectwise and K iPhone clients (when available) and see how they work. I am very curious to see how productive these would be. (FYI - I did log into my K server from the Safari browser. I just couldn't do remote control or live connect).

Frankly, I definitely see a stong possiblilty for serious business use for the iPad in our industry. For a overall cost of $600.00 per setup, I envision a tech carying around a iPad in a tablet case, easily flipping the lid open, finding the ticket in CW (or K) that he is working on, updating it (along with his time!) and closing it. This would be a great improvement over what we do know. The only thing keeping this from happening right now is the aircard feature (not out till end of April, so coming soon!!!), and the apps (seeing if K and CW iphone apps will work on it). But these things are definitely being addressed. So to all, as of right now I would say keep your eyes on iPad. It actually has the potential to be a really good business tool for our industry.

Wish list for the iPad: Some way for the clients to sign the sign off form in CW right on the iPad. Printing also would be nice, but with the integrated Email you could probably just email the signed signoff form to the client when done.

• IMO "you have to walk before you run" - IOW Kaseya should focus on making their current product more stable before taking on new projects that only drain their limited resources.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an iPad being used by myself and techs in conjunction with Kaseya. BUT, first I'd like to see the frequency at which I continue to uncover bugs reduced...

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel