Kaseya Community

Alternative to KES

• I know asking this is counter productive to having the whole Kaseya all in one package but AVG just doesn't cut it. I thought this might be the best place to post this question as the KES area would be full of people who use KES which would be no help as I want to find out what everyone else is using.

I have a screen shot where I ran a full avg scan which came up saying 0 infections and then malwarebytes which was run next which showed 72 infections. I had to deploy another virus checker to clean the site...

So until avg can detect viruses and KES 3 comes out which I was going to wait for after recently being told it's coming out soon with a better AV client to choose, but do I really want to be the test subject for the next 12mths while they Iron out the bugs with that new option... I've decided to ask what everyone else is using if not using KES. Is there an alternative AV that is good that works with MS exchange, that can be centraly controlled and watched like Kaseya's KES (without having to remote into the clients server to see the control panel)? Or does everyone else use Kaseya to deploy AV using custom scripts or Group Policy or even manually and let the AV lookafter itself setup to email you if it finds problems?

Legacy Forum Name: Alternative to KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Zombie
  • I'm not a big AVG/KES fan myself. We currently use a mix of Symantec Endpoint Protection and Trend Micro Worry Free on most of our clients. Also, for all our MSP clients we have bought into the MSP model of Malwarebytes to have it scanning all the time proactively. To this end, we have not had a single issue (knocking on wood now) with any machine that has Malwarebytes running on it.

To that end, Malwarebytes is a horrible program to manage in any environment. There is no admin console to speak of AT ALL. I have created about a dozen scripts that check on all the installs to tell me (and automatically perform) installs, scans, updates, etc. It was a real pain to get setup initially, but now the system basically manages itself.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • I'm interested in Trend Micro as I've had a few years of experience with them and never had any problems. Symantec I've had a few issues with but not too much exposure to it though.
    Why did you feel you needed malwarebytes? Because trend and symantec weren't catching malware?
    Does trend let you manage all clients from one console or do you still need to remote into the clients main server to see the management console?
    thanks for the feedback

Legacy Posted By Username: Zombie
  • All our Trend and Symantec installs still need to be managed on a client-by-client basis. There is no 1 console for these. (I hear there is supposed to be one for an MSP version of Trend, but we haven't gone that route.)

We went with Malwarebytes because of its effectiveness at catching/blocking malware. Trend and Symantec weren't catching any malware (even met with Symantec and they admitted they are definition based and can't catch "dynamic" malware like AntiVirus 2010). I spent a full week with several VMs running different antivirus and malware products. Malwarebytes beat the pants off all comers (including Trend, Symantec, Webroot and Vipre). However, because of it's unmanaged nature and not being sold as an "antivirus" per se, I still sell a real antivirus product to our customers.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Zombie
    I know asking this is counter productive to having the whole Kaseya all in one package but AVG just doesn't cut it. I thought this might be the best place to post this question as the KES area would be full of people who use KES which would be no help as I want to find out what everyone else is using.

I have a screen shot where I ran a full avg scan which came up saying 0 infections and then malwarebytes which was run next which showed 72 infections. I had to deploy another virus checker to clean the site...

So until avg can detect viruses and KES 3 comes out which I was going to wait for after recently being told it's coming out soon with a better AV client to choose, but do I really want to be the test subject for the next 12mths while they Iron out the bugs with that new option... I've decided to ask what everyone else is using if not using KES. Is there an alternative AV that is good that works with MS exchange, that can be centraly controlled and watched like Kaseya's KES (without having to remote into the clients server to see the control panel)? Or does everyone else use Kaseya to deploy AV using custom scripts or Group Policy or even manually and let the AV lookafter itself setup to email you if it finds problems?

In my experience, neither Symantec, mcafee, trend or any other product out there is effective at catching all malware. We sell AVG because it comes with Kaseya, easy to manage and cheap and not because it is better than something else. From time to time, we still have to reactively clean up spyware because AVG or symantec or Mcafee missed it.

There is no one stop AV solution.

Legacy Posted By Username: raymondm
  • This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that there are always going to be reactive cleanups. So far, no one software is 100% effective at stopping viruses and other malware.

We currently use KES, and for the most part it works well. Yes machines get infected, and we use MBAM or Spybot to fully clean them up.
    We also use Eset Nod32 on half of our managed clients (we merged with a company that was already using it) and have about as many issues with it as we do with AVG.

My experience/opinion, not to knock anyone else here, but Symantec, Mcafee, and Trend products are just terrible. This is in regards to detection, cleanup, and overall use.

The best solution to this point (unless you can lock down network so no local admins, severe web filtering, etc.) is to use a at best a decent AV product such as KES/AVG or some other of your choosing, and accept the fact that virus software detects items in a different fashion that malware removal software does, and there will be some reactive cleanups.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • We use Trend WFBS and are able to get flexible Monthly pricing under an MSP program they have.

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • We have been using Trend for a longtime and are very happy with it. If you use there Worry Free Buisness Stnd/Adv products or their new Worry Free Hosted Security services, then you can use the Worry Free Remote Manager System. It's totaly free, all you need to do is create an account then install the Remote Management agent on your client servers. These agents then check back into the WFRM console that you setup. You can even setup email alerts. We have our email alerts going to a Connectwise monitored mailbox and our Trend related tickets are generated automatically.

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/sb/worry-free-remote-manager/

Legacy Posted By Username: djohnston
  • djohnston
    We have been using Trend for a longtime and are very happy with it. If you use there Worry Free Buisness Stnd/Adv products or their new Worry Free Hosted Security services, then you can use the Worry Free Remote Manager System. It's totaly free, all you need to do is create an account then install the Remote Management agent on your client servers. These agents then check back into the WFRM console that you setup. You can even setup email alerts. We have our email alerts going to a Connectwise monitored mailbox and our Trend related tickets are generated automatically.

djohnston
    We have been using Trend for a longtime and are very happy with it. If you use there Worry Free Buisness Stnd/Adv products or their new Worry Free Hosted Security services, then you can use the Worry Free Remote Manager System. It's totaly free, all you need to do is create an account then install the Remote Management agent on your client servers. These agents then check back into the WFRM console that you setup. You can even setup email alerts. We have our email alerts going to a Connectwise monitored mailbox and our Trend related tickets are generated automatically.

How effective is the product at stopping malware? Specifically the antivirus 2009 variants. Also, how much of a performance hit do you see on workstations with Trend installed? Any tweaks to speed it up?

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • As yet we have not had to clean up Antivirus 2009 infections at our Trend sites. We have had numerous infections at clients running Symantec and some with McAfee.

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • Anyone know if Trend's "Worry Free Remote Manager System" integrate with Connectwise for reporting, etc?

Legacy Posted By Username: rbjsea
  • The Remote Manager component can integrate with Kaseya for alerts, but thats about it, from there you may interpret with ConnectWise.

In response to GDBrian, Trend has URL blocking and Web reputation services to stop malicious websites, which can limit users access even if they click on a phishing link, not perfect, but I'm not familiar with other AV to say if this is a good thing yet.

Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.odwyer
  • So I love the discussion going on here, and I was wondering, if you could chose a vendor to use inside Kaseya instead of AVG, which would you choose?

Symantec
    Trend Micro
    McAffee
    AVG
    Kaspersky
    other:_____________

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • brendan.cosgrove
    So I love the discussion going on here, and I was wondering, if you could chose a vendor to use inside Kaseya instead of AVG, which would you choose?

Symantec
    Trend Micro
    McAffee
    AVG
    Kaspersky
    other:_____________

SEP plus MalwareBytes.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Everyone has their own favourite AV, so I put my hand up for Trend Micro Worry Free, bigger business may swing to OfficeScan, but in SMB, WFBS seems a good fit, and they are pretty responsive to requests and support.

If the Trend Worry Free Remote Manager exposed an API for Kaseya to talk to, it would almost fit the bill, as K doesnt have to write much to bring in the information.

Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.odwyer