Kaseya Community

K2 - organise machine groups

• We used to have a different machine group for each company we support.
    We would configure access for support companies to install their machines under their own machine group.

Now we have Kaseya 2 all those machine groups have their ugly twin (machinegroup.root)

What we want to know is how to move all the machine groups under a top level group called say "custard"

This means we can then create reports for all the computers we support, it'll be better organised, etc. Smile

Has anybody worked this one out/ overcome this?

Legacy Forum Name: K2 - organise machine groups,
    Legacy Posted By Username: custardrob
  • just on the .root part after speaking to kaseya this can be removed so you only have machinegroup instead of machinegroup.root

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • mmartin
    just on the .root part after speaking to kaseya this can be removed so you only have machinegroup instead of machinegroup.root

i was interested in doing the same thing, how?

Legacy Posted By Username: steven.moore
  • I think i'll speak to Kaseya about the .root extension.
    I'm very interested in moving the machine groups into a parent group called "custard" so that we can run reports off everything we support.

Legacy Posted By Username: custardrob
  • I would like to know how to do this as well. Glad someone asked: I thought I was the only one thinking the new way was weird.

Legacy Posted By Username: support@hdtech.com
  • I'd be interested too. But i think its organized in that way. Now instead of machine groups only you have organization at top level and then each MUST have at least one machine group which you can change from .root to anything you want. It might sound a bit annoying but you get used to it.

I personally would like to see a different approach by using folder type organization and have subfolders. It's more intuitive I think. Can't say how well it would integrate with other parts.

One thing that I don't like in current setup is the view. Now in the view pane I see both Org ID and machine group instead of just machine group. I might be doing something wrong though.

Legacy Posted By Username: Hasani
  • mmartin
    just on the .root part after speaking to kaseya this can be removed so you only have machinegroup instead of machinegroup.root

please explain this process

Legacy Posted By Username: DerekM
  • Agree, would love to know how to change/move the "root" I don't think we'll be able to remove it entirely, since this is where your machines live (it's the root group for the ORG).

Ideally I'd love to be able to move/convert the existing groups into subgroups. That would probably solve the problem for most of us. Tho I have a feeling we'll just need to create new Orgs/groups and move every agent into the new ones.

BTW, looking at it, wouldn't scopes be a better place to put SLA's?

Legacy Posted By Username: rbjsea
  • Incidentally, if you're doing a migration to a new server for k2, I don't think you have the Org/group migration options you do during an upgrade.

I'm doing migration testing now, and it upgrades the database fine when you do a restore, but you've got no option of creating the "MyOrg" Top Level Organization as listed in the documentation.

6. If you are upgrading from v5.1 you will have to decide how organizations will be created for existing machine groups...
    Create a Single Organization:
    Use this option if most of your existing machine groups belong to the same organization.
     All machine groups are added to a single myOrg organization, representing your own
    organization.
     The myOrg organization can be renamed after the update.

• rbjsea
    Agree, would love to know how to change/move the "root" I don't think we'll be able to remove it entirely, since this is where your machines live (it's the root group for the ORG).

Ideally I'd love to be able to move/convert the existing groups into subgroups. That would probably solve the problem for most of us. Tho I have a feeling we'll just need to create new Orgs/groups and move every agent into the new ones.

BTW, looking at it, wouldn't scopes be a better place to put SLA's?

The .root group can be renamed or deleted, go to

System |> Orgs/Groups/Depts > Manage
    Select the machine groups you ware working on, Click the "Machine Groups" tab (on the right side) the adjust from there.

I think you'll have to go through all the templates as they may have been updated in the process

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    The .root group can be renamed or deleted

But only if you've moved the agents to an actual group. Many of us have probably used a client name for a group, thus when moving to k2 they all show up with 2 entries.

It took me a moment to figure out that the initial "group" you see in the drop down list is not a group but the org, and the .root "group" is necessary if your machines only belong to an org and not a group within an org. A bit confusing initially, which is why I think so many questions on it. Doubly so if you do a migration you don't get the group/org options.

Probably it might have been better to give us a drop-down for "org" just like they do with a group. I can see what they're doing here and it's cool, but there probably was a better way to implement it. Once we all get through some migration pain it will be better.

• rbjsea
    But only if you've moved the agents to an actual group. Many of us have probably used a client name for a group, thus when moving to k2 they all show up with 2 entries.

It took me a moment to figure out that the initial "group" you see in the drop down list is not a group but the org, and the .root "group" is necessary if your machines only belong to an org and not a group within an org. A bit confusing initially, which is why I think so many questions on it. Doubly so if you do a migration you don't get the group/org options.

Probably it might have been better to give us a drop-down for "org" just like they do with a group. I can see what they're doing here and it's cool, but there probably was a better way to implement it. Once we all get through some migration pain it will be better.

Yes, sorry for making that assumtion... It's always the little things that I tend to leave out, I agree, an ORG pull down list or the option to have the org shown would be stelar.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • ok wtf. i must be dense. I still dont get it. I'll post back in english if I figure it out.

Legacy Posted By Username: JointTech
  • We definatly need an org drop down or someway to loose the root group this has doubled our list. Most of our customers are small and therefore don't need departments.

Legacy Posted By Username: cyansolutions
  • Ok, so here's my understand...

1. Each .root sub-group you see is actually a "Machine Group" where the Agents reside
    2. The Groups that aren't .root are Organizations, and Organizations contain "Machine Groups", not Agents
    3. There can be multiple "Machine Groups" for each Organization (lets say you had 'accounting' and 'clerical', you could rename the .root Machine Group to 'accounting', then create a 2nd one for 'clerical'

I hope this is easy to follow. Once it clicks, you'll get it. Anyway, because our clients are relatively small, I made an Organization with our company name. Alternatively, you can rename the MyOrg Organization to reflect your name, or just leave it. Then, within that Organization, create all of the Machine Groups you want (we used our clients names). Now, we have what closely resembles our old K Server. The only difference is, the pull-down menu shows myorg."companyname" for each group. But, it sure beats

comanyname
    companyname.root
    comany2name
    company2name.root

etc
    etc

Legacy Posted By Username: jwible