Kaseya Community

Why can't support manage their passwords?

• I still have quite a few tickets open with support for various K2 issues.

What is getting frustrating is that I am constantly asked by support to reset their password for access to our KServer.

This is going to be the third time this week a ticket is being delayed due to Kasyea not being able to manage their password.

Legacy Forum Name: Why can't support manage their passwords?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Just a thought, maybe it's a bug and support placed a support call for this issue and support was taking too long to get this bug resolved and the fastest way was to have you change the password. Big Smile

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • They absolutely do not communicate. I've had to update every support ticket I create with a password because the techs can't see other tickets that already say what the password is on my system or they just don't care to look. I'm not sure which it is. But it's quite aggrivating to have issues stay unresolved while they wait on a password or ask for the password then respond two days later.

Legacy Posted By Username: patrickl78
  • I thought it was relayed and in their database when you click on create in system. Then any support person had the ability to make connection into the servers through their network only and not see the password. This took away support people accessing from non kaseya sites. I know if they can't make connection through the agent they need a physical RDP session but that is typically if not working throught the agent.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • We had this exact issue for quite a while (months). It made the support process, which was already painfully slow, like trying to walk through La Brea. I opened a ticket on this specific problem and escalated it. One of the devs got on our kserver and said there was some "weirdness" in our database. He "fixed" it and claimed to have tested the login correctly 3 times.

I have had two requests to reset the account since, but I can't tell if that was because the other support folks were trying to login with the manual credentials I previously created.

Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro
  • mastermindpro,

Did the dev that fixed it indicate it was a problem with the credentials IN the database? Sounds strange to me, but if there is an underlying issue that needs to be looked at I will raise it internally.

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • Brendan, I don't think he was specific on what the exact nature of the problem was. Andrew Ellis was the guy that worked on it, so perhaps you can follow up with him. I looked in the ticket notes, but he wasn't as specific there as he was in the voicemail he left for me. The voicemail, which I don't have any longer, indicated "something was very weird with your SQL database", and that the weirdness was the reason for the kaseyasupport account problems.

I'm not sure what would have created the "weirdness" as kaseya software alone is the sole modifier of the database. We never touch it.

• Thanks Mastermindpro,

I'll forward it along.

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • smbtechnology
    I still have quite a few tickets open with support for various K2 issues.

What is getting frustrating is that I am constantly asked by support to reset their password for access to our KServer.

This is going to be the third time this week a ticket is being delayed due to Kasyea not being able to manage their password.

I've been looking through this thread and thought I would drop a line to answer a few of the questions raised.
    First, the Kaseya Support account when created through the system/request support function allows the support staff access to your system via a secure login as master admin. This session is initiated via our license server which handles all the credentials, this means there are no username/passwords to remember, log or pass between techs. Support staff don't know the password and neither does anyone else, they simply click a link in our license server much as you do when remote controlling one of your endpoints.
    You should never need to create a manual login to your system for support, always use the facility described above which will negate the need for you to be asked again.
    This brought me to another question, why are support making more or repeated requests to reset or re-click that link to enable the support account. I ran this by our developers and the answer was that with K2 upgrades, license key changes and ip address, hostname or port changes, these 'seemingly' new servers come in without association to the old server which may have had a valid support account and now don't. There are also a number of DB restores and migrations occuring and these too may result in a reset being required.
    I realise this is a nuisance and frustrating when you are waiting on support so here is a thought. When raising a ticket click the green 'enable support account' button anyway and tell us in the ticket you did it. If support or development then have problems, we can look for a root cause.
    Thanks and regards

Legacy Posted By Username: alan.davis@kaseya.com
  • I somewhat disagree here. I think it becomes quite a security concern if passwords are being saved let alone passed around the support desk. I like the fact that when they want access you have to give it to them.

For serious issues, we have created local access to the box with RDP access allow only certain IPs to pass threw our FW, and then close RDP when they're done.

Legacy Posted By Username: jrocker
  • alan.davis@kaseya.com

...This brought me to another question, why are support making more or repeated requests to reset or re-click that link to enable the support account. I ran this by our developers and the answer was that with K2 upgrades, license key changes and ip address, hostname or port changes, these 'seemingly' new servers come in without association to the old server which may have had a valid support account and now don't. There are also a number of DB restores and migrations occuring and these too may result in a reset being required.
    I realise this is a nuisance and frustrating when you are waiting on support so here is a thought. When raising a ticket click the green 'enable support account' button anyway and tell us in the ticket you did it. If support or development then have problems, we can look for a root cause.
    Thanks and regards

That's a pretty explanation, but it's completely irrelevant to our problems. We're still on K5.1 (no intention of upgrading for at least another 3 months), our IP hasn't changed, our hostname hasn't change, and our web interface port hasn't changed since we installed the product. In short, not a dang thing has changed on our kserver in YEARS, yet we have to continually re-click the button...often several times through the course of a ticket.

Nuisance is the lightest definition of the situation.