Kaseya Community

Kaseya Blue Screen the ENTIRE Company in 1 second.

• Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, and let me introduce myself. I'm Timothy, Sales of Function One Computer Services from Hong KongSAR. I've been quite all these times, but I do have to stand up and talk about how disappointed I am with Kaseya IT Automation.

We are an IT supporting company, provide IT oursourcing services. We've recently won a contract with a satellite company, a states own company of China PRC, responsible for everything from TV broadcasting, rocket launching navigation to national defence. To improve the working effiency, we've deployed Kaseya agents in their workplace hosted in their own server. Here come the problems:

1) None of the monitoring tool works

2) Network printer driver conflict with kaseya network drives. We contacted Kaseya tech, they said they obey the Microsoft Rules, and HP and Canon are not following the rules, there are nothing they can do about it. We have no choice but to recommand our client to stop using HP and Canon Printer because of this issue, ofcoz after all, they refuses.

3) Application Blocker casused the entire system to blue screen in 1 second. IT SCARES ME TO DEATH!!! We've sucessfully reproduced the problem infront of Kaseya's staff in Hong Kong and he's answer was simply "I don't know why". Satellite services arcoss the pacific was disturbed because of Kaseya, a TV Channel was blanked for a few minutes across Asia. When we ask Kaseya's staff to give us an estimate time to fix the problem, they offered the answer "We can't control it". Now tell me, if the developer can't control it, who can? and how am I gonna explain to my client that Kaseya shuts down a national satellite system? And "I don't know why" is not a valid answer.

4) Indefinate Delay of Kaseya 6. We've been promised by Kaseya Hong Kong staff that version 6 will be reason "within 2 months" since may, it is now dec, they are still tell us "within 2 months". It has been a while since the release of Win7, it is quite a task for me to explain to my client that Kaseya have no plan to support it before K6, nor it have a timetable of when K6 will be released. We are far from happy about that.

That's enough reason for me to stop selling Kaseya to my clients. Kaseya, are you listening? Fix the bloody problems NOW!

Regards,

Timothy Wong

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya Blue Screen the ENTIRE Company in 1 second.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: functionone
  • Hi timothy,

Sorry to hear about your problems! However, it is pretty hard to give feedback with little specific information.

1) The monitoring tools do work, I assure you we have many customers using them! Is there a specific issue that can be identified?

2) This is hard to say, there are so many pieces of software out there it is pretty hard for Kaseya to guarantee our agents will work with everything. However, was it the Network Access Driver causing the conflict? If so, you can disable this, especially if you are not using application access filters or network statistics reports.

3) Can I ask what application/executable you blocked that caused this? I cannot say I have seen this ever happen before, and can't imagine how it would unless a system file was the target of the block perhaps.

4) Kaseya 6 has been a while coming but you could request to be on the K2 RC2 program now if you were interested. Regarding Windows 7, the agent installs and functions fine. The lack of support is really regarding the identification of Windows 7 in the interface, they will detect as Vista machines.

I would be happy to provide further feedback with a little more info.

All the best,
    Josh

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: josh.tipping
  • josh.tipping
    Hi timothy,

Sorry to hear about your problems! However, it is pretty hard to give feedback with little specific information.

1) The monitoring tools do work, I assure you we have many customers using them! Is there a specific issue that can be identified?

2) This is hard to say, there are so many pieces of software out there it is pretty hard for Kaseya to guarantee our agents will work with everything. However, was it the Network Access Driver causing the conflict? If so, you can disable this, especially if you are not using application access filters or network statistics reports.

3) Can I ask what application/executable you blocked that caused this? I cannot say I have seen this ever happen before, and can't imagine how it would unless a system file was the target of the block perhaps.

4) Kaseya 6 has been a while coming but you could request to be on the K2 RC2 program now if you were interested. Regarding Windows 7, the agent installs and functions fine. The lack of support is really regarding the identification of Windows 7 in the interface, they will detect as Vista machines.

I would be happy to provide further feedback with a little more info.

All the best,
    Josh

Josh,

1) There are simply not much more info I can give, it is simply blank, showing nothing. It works on most of my other clients, but this is a very special case.

2) Network Stats Report is a must, this is one of the main reason why they accepted the Kaseya Offer.

3) We've tried more than 20 different .exe, it crashes the system everytime. It blue screens, restarts, blue screens again, restarts, the loop goes on and on and on until u go into safemode and have the kaseya agent disabled.

4) That's not good enoughfor the Hong Kong standard, we talk about efficiency, partial ready is not a ready. We need a version that is win7 ready. We pay the price, and we demand the best.

Timothy

• functionone
    Josh,

1) There are simply not much more info I can give, it is simply blank, showing nothing. It works on most of my other clients, but this is a very special case.

2) Network Stats Report is a must, this is one of the main reason why they accepted the Kaseya Offer.

3) We've tried more than 20 different .exe, it crashes the system everytime. It blue screens, restarts, blue screens again, restarts, the loop goes on and on and on until u go into safemode and have the kaseya agent disabled.

4) That's not good enoughfor the Hong Kong standard, we talk about efficiency, partial ready is not a ready. We need a version that is win7 ready. We pay the price, and we demand the best.

Timothy

Um. You did have the caveats of the Network Access Driver explained to you. That will be causing points 2 (and I'm fairly certain point 3).

You should also be able to get on the controlled released for V6 pretty easily, as I'm fairly certain you'll have double-byte requirements that V6 addresses.

Is there anything that you're expecting the wider Kaseya community to be able to help you with that you posted, as opposed to stuff that would be better dealt with by technical support?

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • functionone
    Josh,

There is almost always more info that can be given... Like what makes this a special case?

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Im sorry but i cant see why any of this is Kaseya's fault.

1). What monitoring tools? What cant you see? There is simply not enough information to help you, to say its just blank, what is blank, the Reports Tab, the Monitor Tab, what is blank?

2). What on earth does the type of printer have anything to do with Kaseya working or not ? I manage MANY MANY HP, Canon, Brother, Oki, Kyocera and other types of printers without issue, NONE of them have ever casued a problem with Kaseya, what is it your talking about specifically, and maybe we can help you. If its the Network Access Driver, then as Andrew says, its issues are well noted, its not Kaseya's fault if you enabled it on every single machine in the place without first testing it on one machine, or a test environment.

3). Applicaiton Blocker, what applications did you block? Did you test it on a test machine first, or just simply apply it site wide, it sounds as if there was no testing done here. You cant blame Kaseya for the fact you did not test, and or take the time to think about the implications of what your doing.

Kaseya is not a "silver bullet", its not magic, it has problems, it needs to be guided and setup correctly in the first place.

I dont see anything above that could not have been avoided should standard quality control proceedures have been followed, and beleive me, i would be more than happy to point the finger at Kaseya if it was theyre fault, as im pretty hard on what i expect from them.

Legacy Posted By Username: Commander
  • functionone
    Josh,

Timothy

Hi Timothy,

I am afraid that it is really very hard to suggest anything based on what I am seeing here. All I can ask is if you have logged support tickets for these issues and are any of them still open? If these issues still occur then that is what our support is there for, but we must receive communication and real data to work with to help resolve issues. If support cannot resolve it the ticket will be escalated as far as development if required!

As some others have mentioned, it is extremely important to test functions like the Network Access Driver and app blocker on a limited set of agents before rolling to everyone to prevent issues like you saw occurring. This is why the driver is not enabled by default.

Lastly, if you want a version that is Win7 ready, please apply for the K2 RC2 program. K2 fully supports Windows 7. RC2 has been in controlled release for a reasonable length of time now and Win 7 was only officially released around 40 days ago, so there are options there.

All the best,
    Josh

Legacy Posted By Username: josh.tipping
  • Commander
    Im sorry but i cant see why any of this is Kaseya's fault.

1). What monitoring tools? What cant you see? There is simply not enough information to help you, to say its just blank, what is blank, the Reports Tab, the Monitor Tab, what is blank?

2). What on earth does the type of printer have anything to do with Kaseya working or not ? I manage MANY MANY HP, Canon, Brother, Oki, Kyocera and other types of printers without issue, NONE of them have ever casued a problem with Kaseya, what is it your talking about specifically, and maybe we can help you. If its the Network Access Driver, then as Andrew says, its issues are well noted, its not Kaseya's fault if you enabled it on every single machine in the place without first testing it on one machine, or a test environment.

3). Applicaiton Blocker, what applications did you block? Did you test it on a test machine first, or just simply apply it site wide, it sounds as if there was no testing done here. You cant blame Kaseya for the fact you did not test, and or take the time to think about the implications of what your doing.

Kaseya is not a "silver bullet", its not magic, it has problems, it needs to be guided and setup correctly in the first place.

I dont see anything above that could not have been avoided should standard quality control proceedures have been followed, and beleive me, i would be more than happy to point the finger at Kaseya if it was theyre fault, as im pretty hard on what i expect from them.

how I wish I can invite you over and take a look of the actual situation, but too bad I can't. I tried my best to explain it here, but no one seems to understands. And I don't think it is a good idea to disclose the email between us and Kaseya, but it is indeed an interesting read.

• josh.tipping
    Hi Timothy,

I am afraid that it is really very hard to suggest anything based on what I am seeing here. All I can ask is if you have logged support tickets for these issues and are any of them still open? If these issues still occur then that is what our support is there for, but we must receive communication and real data to work with to help resolve issues. If support cannot resolve it the ticket will be escalated as far as development if required!

As some others have mentioned, it is extremely important to test functions like the Network Access Driver and app blocker on a limited set of agents before rolling to everyone to prevent issues like you saw occurring. This is why the driver is not enabled by default.

Lastly, if you want a version that is Win7 ready, please apply for the K2 RC2 program. K2 fully supports Windows 7. RC2 has been in controlled release for a reasonable length of time now and Win 7 was only officially released around 40 days ago, so there are options there.

All the best,
    Josh

1)There are no options here, as we are MSP, client have the options to switch whatever OS as they please.

2) We keep a very close contact with Kaseya Hong Kong, their staff keeps tell us there is no such program.

• functionone
    1)There are no options here, as we are MSP, client have the options to switch whatever OS as they please.

2) We keep a very close contact with Kaseya Hong Kong, their staff keeps tell us there is no such program.

Then Kaseya Hong Kong is wrong. I can guarantee you there is a controlled release program for K2 V6, as I'm a part of it, as well as many other people on these forums.

As to your first comment, I find it hard to believe that your client dictates their network and you're forced to work with whatever they throw at you. The last MSP job I was at, we dictated what their client OS was to be, and explained to them why they weren't upgrading to the new OSes. They generally waited for us to complete their testing before they rolled to a new OS. If that's not the case for you I feel incredibly fortunate to work where I have and very sorry for the pain you have to deal with.

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • Charles.IN
    Then Kaseya Hong Kong is wrong. I can guarantee you there is a controlled release program for K2 V6, as I'm a part of it, as well as many other people on these forums.

As to your first comment, I find it hard to believe that your client dictates their network and you're forced to work with whatever they throw at you. The last MSP job I was at, we dictated what their client OS was to be, and explained to them why they weren't upgrading to the new OSes. They generally waited for us to complete their testing before they rolled to a new OS. If that's not the case for you I feel incredibly fortunate to work where I have and very sorry for the pain you have to deal with.

I do wish the Canadian business culture could apply to Hong Kong, but this ain't the case here. Just for your info, I grew up in Kelowna, BC.

• I can't address any specific question, but Kaseya is just the framework. You have to be VERY careful in making ANY changes to anything with the power that a local administrator account has, using the Kaseya back end. I have only less than 50 clients on my MSA using Kaseya, and every single office is different.

I could blue screen critical system too, by blocking the wrong application. I could complain in forums about monitoring, if all I did was spend five minutes looking over the included scripts and running random stuff, and not changing any SNMP trap information.

As the other folks said - it's a tool. You have to know how to use the tool.

There are plenty of other things wrong with Kaseya that we could be talking about Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: FarVision
  • functionone

I can appreciate your situation and I wish you as much luck as can be mustered that they be dealt with. In lieu of being able to generate that luck for you, however, I can offer some observations and suggestions. First, I will respond to the two items above.

In answer to item #1, no. You, as the contracted provider of technical services, have control over what gets installed and when. If the client were savvy enough to select an OS on their own, why would they need to contract out for technical services? This kind of client is not a good fit for any MSP, regardless of the size of the contract. They pay you to protect the technical side of their business. Allowing them to do anything they want to it because they own it is reckless. Save yourself from legal ruin and fire them (you can do that, as long as you didn't sign away that right in your contract).

In answer to item #2, I'd be pleased to send you the installer for K6 Beta R2, if you like. I have a copy which I have not yet installed, but I'd be pleased to share it with you. The Hong Kong office of Kaseya are sadly misinformed, but I'm sure that will be rectified soon.

Now for some tips:

1. ALWAYS test ALL new tools in a non-production environment. All you need are a few machines and a switch.

2. All IT operations should take time and careful study. If you want some great tools for workflow management, check out ITiL v.2 or v.3. One process in particular is Change Management. Never, ever, EVER do anything without having a plan for how it works and a rollback plan to escape from it in case something unpredictable happens.

3. Never do ANYTHING simply because the client demands it. You are the expert, not them. If they want to be the expert, fire them and let them burn their own company to the ground.

4. Write everything down and keep track of it. Even if you just use a series of spreadsheets, make sure you keep track of everything. Usernames, passwords, network paths, versions installed, time and place worked on. Better yet, get a simple ticketing system (I like Mantis, since its free and runs on a simple LAMP installation). If you must have the best and are willing to pay, get ConnectWise and learn it. Never let anything happen without documenting it!!!!!

5. Standardize everything you can get your hands on and don't cover anything in a contract that the client won't let you touch. If they don't want to invest in off-site backups, make them sign an agreement which absolves you of responsibility for that. NEVER let the client tell you how to run YOUR company. Do you think Starbucks lets people walk in the door and tell them how to make coffee? Certainly not.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help!

Legacy Posted By Username: tregas
  • FarVision
    I can't address any specific question, but Kaseya is just the framework. You have to be VERY careful in making ANY changes to anything with the power that a local administrator account has, using the Kaseya back end. I have only less than 50 clients on my MSA using Kaseya, and every single office is different.

I could blue screen critical system too, by blocking the wrong application. I could complain in forums about monitoring, if all I did was spend five minutes looking over the included scripts and running random stuff, and not changing any SNMP trap information.

As the other folks said - it's a tool. You have to know how to use the tool.

There are plenty of other things wrong with Kaseya that we could be talking about Smile

I do not cosider MS Paint to be an application that would cause a bluescreen.

• Hi All,

I just noticed about this post and let me clarify the confusion. I am the one who works with FunctionOne about this matter.

First of all, I DID tell them that they could participate our Kaseya v6 Beta program if they want 6 months ago when I did the v6 demo at their office for their technical guys and manager. I DID tell them that the FINAL release is NOT out for public yet. Current RC2 version is still under our "control release" and only "open" to some customers. However, they can request it and run it in test environment. We do have one customer who runs v6 in their test server in Hong Kong since they are concern about the double-byte Chinese support. I think there is miscommunication among their techs and sales.

Here is the detail of it. That particular Kserver has few problems (I will explain later) but not fatal. And we had fixed most of the problems onsite that day. The actual problem that really causes the panic is the BSOD that caused by Application blocker. When they applied the App Blocker (e.g. foxy, bitcomet,..) to ALL the servers and workstations, all the machines crashed with BSOD. We did reproduced the error by applying the App Blocker to other machine. When the machines get restarted and loaded the agent, it crashed again. Therefore, they had to reboot the machines in safe-mode to disable the agent and manually removed the application block entries in KaseyaFW.ini. So the machines could be started again. I am truly sorry and understand their panic.

However, there already was a fix for it when FunctionOne had reported that the Application Blocker was not working few months ago. Development team had created an updated agent (v 5.1.0.9 – [ticket ID: 187455]) for them that time. Once they applied the new version, BSOD did not happen again.

According to development team, “The failure of blocking the applications is because the kapfa.drv is not loaded. The file system driver is not ready when agent tries to open the driver when the system starts.” Therefore, I think it was the reason that causes the system crash. This has been addressed in v5.1.0.9 and v6.

The second problem was the Network printer drivers that conflict with Kaseya Network driver. Kaseya Network Driver caused their HP and Canon network printing fail. It was solved immediately by removing the network driver. They were also aware that it was a known issue (See the below online help warning). So, we do have warned the users in our online help and KB article:

Online Help: http://help.kaseya.com/WebHelp/en-US/5010000/index.htm?toc.htm?407.htm

[INDENT]Warning: Applications that do not use the Windows TCP/IP stack in the standard way may conflict with the driver used to collect information and block access, especially older legacy applications[/INDENT]

Related KB articles: http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=279404&p=11855

Again, we are sorry about the problem but currently there is no fix for this except disabling the Network Driver. Therefore, for anyone who is using network printing, please fully test the network driver before deploying it to the mass machines.

For other non-fatal issues:

1. No auditing data collected – it had been fixed by re-applying the schema and rerun the baseline audit.
    2. No patch data collected - It was also solved by “re-apply schema” and rerun the Patch scan.
    3. Preference in System tab cannot be displayed – it was fixed by adding the missing file “languages.inc”.
    4. Kserver auto update is not working – fixed.
    5. No monitoring data collected because Counter Monitors cannot be started automatically – it had been logged with Support and we are currently working on it.

Related KB:
    6. http://kb.kaseya.com/display/2/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=271284&r=0.8842737

Right now, 6 of 7 problems were fixed except the monitoring (#5).

HK Kaseya Support

Legacy Posted By Username: sunny.lam