Kaseya Community

Windows 7 unable to open remote control session

• I am testing Windows 7 on one of our management computers that we use to remote to our clients systems. When we try to open a remote control session the browser freezes and needs to be closed. We are unable to remote to any of the systems we manage with any of the available remote clients. We have tried disabling firewall, placing our KServer in the local intranet security zone, yet everytime we attempt to remote ie locks up. Has anyone else tried this on Windows 7? Any luck finding a solution?

Legacy Forum Name: Windows 7 unable to open remote control session,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCamp
  • in internet explorer click tools > manage add-ons - drop the list on the left to "downloaded controls" and remove the kasRmtHlp class and then retry the remote control session

I have found this mainly to be an issue when I am switching between kaseya 2008 and kaseya v6. I have also found this to occasionally be an issue when remoting from a server 2008 machine

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: timbuktech
  • Thanks for your reply. That worked.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCamp
  • timbuktech
    in internet explorer click tools > manage add-ons - drop the list on the left to "downloaded controls" and remove the kasRmtHlp class and then retry the remote control session

I've just started testing on Win7(64bit) and dont see this in the downloaded controls area.... I do how ever get this message:

ActiveX control kaxRemote.dll failed to load! -- Please check browser security settings.
    Verify that signed ActiveX controls may be downloaded and run from this browser.

I click the link and it works... have you seen this behaviour before?

Note: If i run the 32bit IE, everything functions normally...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Try to add the address to you kaseya server to the list of trusted sites is IE.

Are you using Kaseya v5 or v6?

scott

• timbuktech
    Try to add the address to you kaseya server to the list of trusted sites is IE.

Are you using Kaseya v5 or v6?

scott

I'm using v5 (2k8SP1), I've added the kserver to my list of trusted sites still no joy.

In reality there's a lot more going on with IE8(64bit) than just that, I've encounted issues with the ConnectWise client, and even this forum (click the quick reply and it inserts the quoted text of the post I click from) I'm pretty sure its some kind of funky java integration but not 100%.

By the by, as I said it does work in 32bit mode and in compatibility mode. I'm purposefully trying not to use these just to see what is going on with our system as well as our clients web apps.

• I have found that with Vista or 7 that if I just open an IE browser that I cannot usually get remote to work, but if I open a browser as Administrator, then any child browsers spawned from this one (like remote control does) works just fine. I haven't set an IE icon to run as admin, so I just remember this when I go to open Kaseya.

Legacy Posted By Username: rcspang
  • do you have your kaseya server address added to your trusted sites?

• rcspang
    I have found that with Vista or 7 that if I just open an IE browser that I cannot usually get remote to work, but if I open a browser as Administrator, then any child browsers spawned from this one (like remote control does) works just fine. I haven't set an IE icon to run as admin, so I just remember this when I go to open Kaseya.

lol You know I hadn't thought about running as admin.... I'll give that a shot, but still that will most likely not be an option for our clients...

Question:
    rcspang
    do you have your kaseya server address added to your trusted sites?

Answer:
    rcspang
    I'm using v5 (2k8SP1), I've added the kserver to my list of trusted sites still no joy

• With vista, do you have UAC enabled or disabled?

When using vista I typically disable UAC. With Windows 7 I take the UAC down one notch.

• With Vista we have UAC disabled (most of our clients prefer it this way too...) when testing in Win 7 it's a standard set up UAC is in full effect. I'll try tweaking the settings the next time I boot into it...

Something that did just come to mind is that I don't get the Active-X control bar... that yellow thing that comes up the first time you try to run it... Nor do I see "kasRmtHlp class" in the downloaded controls...

• Interesting... I'm on Win 7 Ultimate RTM 64 bit, UAC at top level, Kaseya server is not even in my trusted sites. In fact, this is a new install and pretty much everything is as-is from the start. And, all the K stuff is working fine. I can remote with no problems (vnc and RDP). Also, FTP, no probs.

I know this doesn't help you in any particular way, but it at least lets you know that it is possible. If there is any particular setting you come across that you are curious about, I'd be happy to confirm against my settings.

Oh, and BTW, not only is remote to systems working fine, but also am remoting to other Win 7 clients, no problem.

Legacy Posted By Username: rhayes@expertnetsolutions.com
  • rhayes@expertnetsolutions.com
    Interesting... I'm on Win 7 Ultimate RTM 64 bit, UAC at top level, Kaseya server is not even in my trusted sites. In fact, this is a new install and pretty much everything is as-is from the start. And, all the K stuff is working fine. I can remote with no problems (vnc and RDP). Also, FTP, no probs.

I know this doesn't help you in any particular way, but it at least lets you know that it is possible. If there is any particular setting you come across that you are curious about, I'd be happy to confirm against my settings.

Oh, and BTW, not only is remote to systems working fine, but also am remoting to other Win 7 clients, no problem.

The issue is with the 64-bit version of IE. I have verified this is a problem with my install as well even though by 32-bit IE is working just fine. Very strange.

This probably has to due with the fact that everything in Kaseya is 32-bit. I have a lot of problems trying to run 64-bit Powershell and Registry commands because the agent isn't natively 64-bit. Kaseya probably has to write a 64-bit ActiveX control to have to run correctly in 64-bit IE.

~Dave

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Yes, the 64 bit version of IE cannot host a 32 bit ActiveX. The only option there is to do the download of the control and execute it in its own space.
    Some extra info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

Legacy Posted By Username: rhayes@expertnetsolutions.com
  • rhayes@expertnetsolutions.com
    Yes, the 64 bit version of IE cannot host a 32 bit ActiveX. The only option there is to do the download of the control and execute it in its own space.
    Some extra info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

That explains a lot... anyone know if (or when hopefully) the big K is going to release a 64 bit active x for us?