Kaseya Community

Lan Watch / Install Agent when other Agent is already installed

• Hi all,

I had lan watch run over night from the DC on which I had manually installed the new agent after removing the previous company's agent. When deploying the agent through "Install Agent" we couldn't really get it on any machines.

We got the messages "Agent install package ran" and "The network path was not found" but they are all WinXP and Vista computers and no client was installed even when it said the agent ran.

What other way is there to "overright" an existing installation through lan watch? We also tried to go through the manu tap "View AD Computers" but even if the computer restarts, the agent still does not get installed.

Thanks for your help!

Legacy Forum Name: Lan Watch / Install Agent when other Agent is already installed,
    Legacy Posted By Username: -Dan-
  • Hi Dan,

This is probably because, by default, the KcsSetup.exe installer checks for the existance of the program. If it is found, the installer will exit.

What you need to do is edit the agent package you created for this customer and add a few command line switches in the second step of the agent package creation. While creating the agent, on the second page there is a "Switch Definitions" link that will take you to a help page describing what the different switches do. You will probably want the "/r" and "/w" to reinstall your client and overwrite any settings from the previous company. I've done this before and it would fairly well.

Your problem with the AD Computers install is probably also related to this issue. Use the new package with the new command line switches and you should be good to go.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Thanks. I will give this a try.

• /r and /w helped quite a bit, but unfortunately I still get "The network path was not found" on almost 50% of all machines in AD when they are clearly Win XP and Vista which Kaseya even detects that they are.

I have never seen such a high number where we couldn't deploy through the remote installation/lan watch. Any ideas?

• We have had some problems deploying in the past, when reverse DNS had old/stale information. You migth want to check out the Reverse Lookup Zone in DNS, and see if there are muultiple entries for the host names. Kaseya may be picking up the wrong IP address, tryign to deploy to the wrong IP address, which fails.

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    We have had some problems deploying in the past, when reverse DNS had old/stale information. You migth want to check out the Reverse Lookup Zone in DNS, and see if there are muultiple entries for the host names. Kaseya may be picking up the wrong IP address, tryign to deploy to the wrong IP address, which fails.

I agree. Before a deployment I always go into DNS, set scavanging to just a few hours and run it, then go into the reverse DNS section and delete all entries except the pointers for servers and domain.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • lwolf
    We have had some problems deploying in the past, when reverse DNS had old/stale information. You migth want to check out the Reverse Lookup Zone in DNS, and see if there are muultiple entries for the host names. Kaseya may be picking up the wrong IP address, tryign to deploy to the wrong IP address, which fails.

I've also seen issues where DNS was messed up and needed to be rebuilt (read: reinstalled) before we could push properly. That was just once though.

I'm pretty sure that CCDave and lwolf have it on the money so I won't restate the previously stated.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty