Kaseya Community

Uninstalled Agent checked-in a week later

• Hello to all.

I have seen some posts in the past from folsk who reported that, an Agetn that had been uninstalled, had checked-in again. I always thought this was because there were logon scripts or something that was re-installing the agent. But today, I saw it firsthand myself.

Last week, we deleted an Agent from a remote PC at a remote office, for a customer who was selling that office. My Services Manager said he chose the option to Delete at Next Checkin. He saw the uninstall script run, and then the Agent disappeared.

Then today, many days later, we got an Alert for that machine - for new agent checking in the the first time. The agent kept its name, machien group assignment, etc.

So I cam totally confused. How can an Agent that was delete via Kaseya Delete at Next Checkin option disappear, and then later, re-appear as a new agent? It is in a workgroup, no domain, no servers, no logon scripts, etc.

As always, thanks in advance.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Uninstalled Agent checked-in a week later,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I have seen the SAME scenario you have just described.

I have been deleting an agent 2 or 3 times for it to stop checking back in.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • This is usually a Log in script but I've seen it happen with a system restore as well. The agent was probably originally installed with a /r switch. This forces a repair of the agent. If no agent files exist it uses a temp copy of the original KcsSetup.exe that the agent was first deployed with.

Before again removing the machine from your K Server, remove any copies of KcsSetup.exe you can find on the machine, then uninstall the agent and remove it from the K Server.

Legacy Posted By Username: T2Craig
  • Craig,

Any specific locations where copies of KcsSetup.exe might usually be found?

Lloyd

• I wouldn't expect system restore to bring an application back from oblivion. Its more about recovery of previous registry snapshots, dll and com+ cache etc.

But an OEM backup solution like those sold with many brand name laptops actually take complete volume snapshots (a la Shadowprotect and Acronis). A restore from one of those could certinaly recover a previously removed agent.

Legacy Posted By Username: XeviouS
  • In my cases, there we no Windows System Restores performed, tape backup restores performed, or disk images restores performed. Nothign fancy liek that at all.

Just a normal Delete Agent at Next Checkin operation, which seemed to work fine. It was gone from all of our Kaseya screens, Agent icon gone from the System Tray, etc. Agent had previously been manually installed - no logon scripts or anything.

Then all of a sudden, 1 or 2 weeks later, it re-appeared.

Stange.

Lloyd

• Very interesting indeed. Perhaps we can brainstorm this one.

Do you think its possible that the agent didnt complete the removal due to...
    - shutting machine down/standby/reboot
    - installing patches
    - wireless network drop out
    - locked file(s)
    - other application install/removal
    - multiple users logged in (kagent doesnt like this)

Its the 1-2 weeks part that doesnt make sense. I wonder why it wouldnt check in the next day? Unless of course the machine(s) were off?

I uninstall our KAgents via a script and delete the account manually later so I must say that I havent seen this problem, but I have certianly read of it happening many times to others.

• I've seen this happen on 1 PC so far when we were trialing for a customer. Standard scenario of uninstalling the agent at next checkin. From Kaseya's point of view the agent was uninstalled and therefore deleted the database copy of the information.

However at the client end, all it did was shut kaseya off, which means you have no way to know if it was actually uninstalled or not. When the machine was rebooted, the agent started up and checked in again.

However, for us I don't think this was a Kaseya issue. When we tried to uninstall it through Add/Remove programs right on the machine we were still able to uninstall it.

End result, we brought the client on anyway and left it in place. So that's as far as I can help.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • I guess we would need to know the exact steps that Kaseya initiates when using the 'uninstall agent at next checkin' process.

For example, does the server recieve any success/error code once the command is sent to remove?

Kinda tricky as if you are uninstalling the very thing meant to report back to you.

• Very strange. This same situation happened again to me today.

A client had to stop service - their business was suffering from low sales, and they had to cut a ton of costs, and all IT costs were cut as a result, including Kaseya.

About 3 weeks ago, we used the built-in Kaseya feature to Uninstall Agent at next check-in. It completed. Agent disappeard from our K screens. Agent "seemed" to be gone from the machine.

This is a workstation on an SBS2003 network. Agent was initially deployed about 6 months ago. It was manually downloaded and installed - no logon scripts or anything.

Then all of a sudden, today, I received an alert for 'checked in for the first time". It appears to be back.

How can this be happening? No one manually re-installed it. And there is nothign via logon scripts or automation what would have re-installed it.

Lloyd

• I'm getting this issue again. Was there any resolution to this?

Thanks,
    -LWX

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • LANWorx ,

After uninstalling again, they have not returned. The good news, I suppose, is that we don't often have to delete agents.

Lloyd

• lwolf
    LANWorx ,

After uninstalling again, they have not returned. The good news, I suppose, is that we don't often have to delete agents.

Lloyd

Seems to be happening more frequently for me I'm afraid! Sad

I've just opened a ticket with Kaseya, their level one response was a logon script, which I'm 99% positive is not the answer.

Thanks guys,

-LWX

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • We have seen this happen on one of my largest clients. We uninstalled the client and even deleted the agent, but still agents would check back in. We created a ticket on this and we got a lame response from support.

Support would login and look only at the agent tab instead of looking deeper into the problem by reviewing the logs. If they did, they would see that we are getting agent checking back in after we have already run the uninstall routines on the machines.

I feel it very interesting that there is not a system created script that uninstall everything that was installed during the initial install (i.e. local admin install, agent install directories, temp directory, etc). We have to do this stuff manually.

Legacy Posted By Username: trnetwork
  • A check box with delete and ignore this group would be perfect.. IGNORE being the operation I am looking for...

Legacy Posted By Username: NERDPWR