Kaseya Community

Windows 7 show as Windows Vista machines

• I don't think this is right, we are paying support fees and Kaseya must have known about the release date for Windows 7 as most of us do.

Filtering is really not an issue its the Monitoring, Reporting and management side of things that will be a problem...

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: HardKn0X
  • We have Win 7 offically released here and the distributors are sending out flyers showing HP and Lenovo boxes with Win7 COA and XP downgrade.

I can't imagine we would be unique in this market.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Yeah I just phoned MS Licensing Direct and there is a Downgrade... I told my Rep to get his facts straight next time lol

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • It's pretty sad that Kaseya has its partner contemplating downgrading new boxes to Windows XP.

18 months of maintenance fees without any major upgrades, or support for currently released operating systems. Even if they released K6 today, there would be no way I could roll it out to production. I would be looking at a minimum of K6 + 30.

KES and BUDR are outdated 1 month after Kaseya releases a new version.

My rep says "There actually has been over 2500 updates over the last 18months"

I find this funny.... Most of those updates are to fix problems in the existing system.

There is a TOTAL lack of communication with Kaseya and its partners.

grrr!

Legacy Posted By Username: Jonk
  • I just checked Dell's site and there is an option for getting Windows 7 with the XP downgrade.

Legacy Posted By Username: bkelleher
  • "Current" Kaseya 2008 with full patches works great with Windows 7 except for one thing (and this is gonna be true of Server 2008 R2):

No BU*DR! That's right... it will install, but it won't run, make backups, mount images, or anything else. It'll just sit there in C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageServer, totally unusable!

For Windows 7, you can download and install "XP Mode" (if your hardware supports it) and put BU*DR up in that... then you can at least browse/restore from images, but you still won't be able to effectively back up a Windows 7 PC. For Server 2008 R2 the situation is more grim.

For those of us that refuse to upgrade to Kaseya 6 until it's been fully "out" for 3 months (i.e. it's the current production release, not a "production ready beta") this comes as a real blow - any new client builds are going to have to be Vista/XP and Windows Server 2008 (non R2)... unless we want to pay extra for compatible and non-managed backup software!

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • Uhhh... then how am I able to backup 7 of my windows 7 machines using BUDR?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    Uhhh... then how am I able to backup 7 of my windows 7 machines using BUDR?

Magic?

All kidding asside, is it 32 bit or 64 bit you're backing up?

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I have it installed to several Win7-64bit machines. All are reporting sucessful backups, and I can browse their tibs (I have not tried a full system restore yet).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    I have it installed to several Win7-64bit machines. All are reporting sucessful backups, and I can browse their tibs (I have not tried a full system restore yet).

Odd, a stock and standard setup? I've got a 50/50 success ratio on my 64 Bit machines... I'm not sure what the point of failure is though. (I'm doing daily fulls just for testing reasons...)

PS maybe this should be in the BU-DR section lol

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Author: Murali.Rangineni
    Date: 21:14:13 30-Oct-09
    Hello,

Thank You for contacting Kaseya Support.

At this time, Kaseya does not have official support for its Agent on Windows 7. Kaseya is currently only internally testing its Windows Agent on Windows 7.we cannot commit a release date regarding the Windows 7 Agent at present.We will notify you via email or update in our portal once the Windows 7 agent will be support at that time. Feel free to check back in the weeks and months ahead for an update regarding this.

Regards
    Kaseya Support

Legacy Posted By Username: moriarty@sciinc.com
  • I see that under patch management, they are listing Windows 7 patches. Even if it isn't officially supported, they are facilitating patches. If it breaks a computer they can wash their hands clean and step away because "it isn't officially supported".

If it isn't properly recognized in Kaseya, how are we going to know if the patches are applied correctly? It could apply them to vista machines or not at all to our Windows 7 machines. It has come around enough to warrant a ticket...

Legacy Posted By Username: red
  • red
    I see that under patch management, they are listing Windows 7 patches. Even if it isn't officially supported, they are facilitating patches. If it breaks a computer they can wash their hands clean and step away because "it isn't officially supported".

If it isn't properly recognized in Kaseya, how are we going to know if the patches are applied correctly? It could apply them to vista machines or not at all to our Windows 7 machines. It has come around enough to warrant a ticket...

just because kaseya doesn't recognize the machine as windows 7 doesn't mean it won't apply patches. it just thinks it's a higher build of vista(which it technically is). if the patch breaks it i think that would be microsofts problem not kaseys. plus why are your clients buying windows 7 without YOU telling them that YOU support it?

Legacy Posted By Username: boblzer0
  • boblzer0
    just because kaseya doesn't recognize the machine as windows 7 doesn't mean it won't apply patches. it just thinks it's a higher build of vista(which it technically is). if the patch breaks it i think that would be microsofts problem not kaseys. plus why are your clients buying windows 7 without YOU telling them that YOU support it?

Other than Kaseya, most of our clients would not have a problem moving to 7. In previous posts on this thread you will see that we are testing 7 in both K5 and K6 agents. In patch management some updates in the product field show "Windows 7". Since Kaseya 5 does not recognize this OS, how does it know what machines to apply/not apply patches to?

And your right, I opened a ticket with Kaseya about this. They told me anything done with Windows 7 is "at your own risk". They didn't really answer my question of how does it know if it is installing patches to the right OS. (In the meantime, patch policy for Win7 machines deny all patches)

As far as clients buying new computers, we have to get them to get the XP downgrade option. If that isn't available they must find a pc with Vista on it. This will create a nightmare when going to upgrade computers to 7 after ~6 months of new computers. Not to mention the HUGE turnoff when we tell our clients that, "nope you have to stick with 10 yr old XP or sucky Vista." It doesn't help our computer sales.

I'm sure that if patches are delivered through M$'s auto update, there wouldn't be a problem. We want to use the Patch management interface in Kaseya to control what patches are deployed. Because Kaseya offers this feature and we implement it and pay maintenance/service fees, Kaseya should be responsible. With the exception of unsupported OSes, they are.

Legacy Posted By Username: red
  • Windows 7 is still showing as Vista. this needs sorting quick.

Legacy Posted By Username: Dean Osborne