Kaseya Community

"set credential" question

• what impact does having the set credential have on the system?

The reason i am asking is i currently inherited this system and i have no prior knowledge of it. On the set credential tab all of the credentials are blank, i have not noticed any problems. I have noticed some patches fail to install but i was unsure of the impact of not having credentials set has if any on the system.

Thank you in advance.

Legacy Forum Name: "set credential" question,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gbaratta
  • Having credentials allows you to install patches, run scripts, and FTP to the machines as the user specified. True that a lot of things in Kaseya will still work without the credentials, but they are really a help to have. Otherwise you will start beating your head against the wall wondering why things fail when it turns out it needs credentials. (past experience)

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • That is what i suspected. Thank You!

Legacy Posted By Username: gbaratta
  • I like to say that the Kaseya agent is "King of its Kingdom", but can't go outside of its System-level walls.

Credentials give you the abililty to perform certain tasks as a user or access network resources (i.e. Patch File Location, Backup Locations) that would require credentials to gain access.

Domain administrator credentials are the best, but you can put a local admin credential in also.

If you are not sure about your local administrator password, go to the Remote Control tab, and reset the password on all your workstations to be the same! Then use that user and password as the credential. You can even create your own "back-door" account there, and use that credential.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@networkdepot.com
  • yeh i just created a local admin account for every machine out there - same one with very strong password. When its on a DC it becomes a domain admin account so theres a backup account aswell.

Least you can change that password all at once instead of using their domain one which can only be applied to 1 site and using templates to manage the machines would make that annoying.

Legacy Posted By Username: steven.moore
  • steven.moore
    yeh i just created a local admin account for every machine out there - same one with very strong password. When its on a DC it becomes a domain admin account so theres a backup account aswell.

That's potentially incorrect. When you run Reset Password (which is how most people do this account creation), the account that gets created on a Domain Controller is in the Administrators group, not the Domain Admins group.

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au