Kaseya Community

Shadow Craft

• I was hoping to get some opinions on storage craft. We are looking into using at present to backup servers only. This would replace tape drives and backup exec that we presently use.

We would need to be able to restore individual files, sql, and exchagne. And also a full server restore to either a virtual or physical machine.

We are also using ashay for online backup of critical data.

Is anyone on storage craft's msp program, and are there any tips and tricks.

Legacy Forum Name: Shadow Craft,
    Legacy Posted By Username: eddy@dgs.com.au
  • I am. It's the only backup product I use. My clients are small businesses usually with SBS 2003 or 2008. I backup their servers and desktops using ShadowProtect. Works like a dream and is very easy to use.

I backup everything to either one or two dedicated internal large hard drives on the server and use robocopy to copy the backup files to NAS (on-site) and rotating external USB hard drives (off-site).

My suggestion is to download their evaluation version with recovery cd and test it out yourself. There are also a lot of good posts and KB articles over at the main StorageCraft website. Their forum has a lot of great posts as well.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GXR
  • Ditto. I use Shadowprotect the same way, except I full backup twice a week and incrementals to nas. Cheap dlink dns-323 works fine. sbs 2003 and windows 2008 foundation 64bit.

Also use USB drives for rotating backups. full backup additionally every night to these.

This is the only backup solution I use across a number of sites.

Legacy Posted By Username: andrewakl
  • I can't speak to the MSP program as they don't offer it in Australia.

I have been using StorageCraft Desktop, Server and IT Editions for 2 years. It saved my bacon on several occasions. Performance is excellent to board hard drive, and quite acceptable to NAS and Windows Home Server targets across gigabit lans.

They have moved to using a USB key with a DRM scheme for the IT Edition to boot the software in the US, so make sure you understand the limitations if considering this.

Their support only works 9-5, so make sure you have tested your restore as you could be left high and dry with issues out of hours.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Thanks to all for your replies.

I have been speaking to Storage Craft's Asia Pacific director, and the MSP program is going to be available in Australia around March 2010.

Legacy Posted By Username: eddy@dgs.com.au