Kaseya Community

Kaseya Administration

• Hello everyone,

I have a question and would like peoples input on this. We are trying to decide how to manage our Kaseya, who will do it, and how much time is neccessary?

Who in your org manages Kaseya?

Do you have a dedicated Kaseya Admin?

How much time do you spend managing the system per week?

Right now we have a basic system setup some basic mon sets, scripts, KES, nothing to fancy. It needs tweaking, but it seems like it will require a good amount of time. Especially when you have other people pushing out agents with inconsistent settings. I would have to go through and clean it up a bit. I am wondering how you all manage this and how much time you spend per week.

Thanks for your input.

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya Administration,
    Legacy Posted By Username: michaelr
  • I tend to look after the kaseya software and tell others what they can use with regards to agent install packages (With templates assigned) any questions or requests for changes tend to come to me because as you said many people pushing buttons just becomes a nightmare.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Comsyco
  • I tend to manage our system, but someone else takes care of the db specifically... The time involved varies depending on what needs to be done. Some scripts are quick and easy, others are just a pain... same with monitor sets.

As for the agents, I create the agent packages based on client (1 for servers, 1 for workstations, if there are multiple types of servers I adjust from there), most are based on a generic install, unless the sales staff sets up something special (we're trying to break them of this habbit)...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • How much time (average) would you say you spend a week on these tasks? Do you think it is neccesary to have a dedicated Kaseya Admin?

• I would say that will depend on the speed and comfort with the system of your admin, and how many nodes you have deployed. We are not yet at a 100% dedicated person, and have about 150 nodes deployed, if that helps. We are pushing node sales over the next quarter, as some of our project work winds down, and we will of course monitor availability of staff resources to our contracted MSP clients.

michaelr
    How much time (average) would you say you spend a week on these tasks? Do you think it is neccesary to have a dedicated Kaseya Admin?

Legacy Posted By Username: MSchroeder
  • We have about 1200 seats. Management of Kaseya takes about 8 hours a week. It is on and off though... bits and pieces picking up after others, reviewing new agent configurations, etc. Might spend 4 hours one day and then 30 minutes spread out over different days the rest of the week. This work often gets dictated as things arise.

Legacy Posted By Username: wpotts
  • I've never thought about how much time I put into managing Kaseya specifically... Sometimes I might get a couple of hours at once to do stuff... I guess setting up and getting aquainted with connectwise takes up sometime, clients of course gets put to the head of the pack... I guess all in all maybe 8 or so hours.

As for it being neccesary t have a dedicated Kadmin? it would depend on your client base and what you offer i suppose. I know for me a lot of my time is spent reading up on patches and testing them where I can for approval. Another good portion of my time could be spent on testing backups... but this comes and goes like the tide...

• 30-60 minutes per day, ~800 agents, 60 of which are servers. That doesn't include monthly server maintenance etc. It's quite a big topic! Plenty of improvements to be made, but things are under control and we could take quite a few more agents before the 30-60 minutes would have to increase.

Legacy Posted By Username: wodger
  • We have about 2500 nodes. I think our company has the thought of "The time you dedicate to Kaseya is how much you will get out of the VSA, if only it was billable." We could dedicate someone to 50 hours a week to this VSA, but most of the work would be non billable.

We have a guy in the morning assigning backup failures to onsite guys for that day before anyone clocks in for the day usually from about 645am to 8am. We then have 2-3 guys monitoring the daytime alerts coming into CW via Kaseya. It is all in how you manage your nodes. I don't believe in the "set it and forget it" we tried and it doesn't work for us as a whole.

It is trial and error. I feel our company does as much as we possibly can to streamline this VSA, but it is difficult. You get out of it what you put into it.

Hope that helps....

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • If you dedicate someone to the VSA (say 8 hours a week) and you have 1500 + nodes is it really non-billable if the the managed service clients are paying you for the service. Its re-investment into the system. The system does not run itself. Testing patches, adding mon/event sets/scripts, testing, troubleshooting, etc.. this is time that must be spent. Somone is going to have to do it. It should be factored into the cost of the service. If the system and the pieces are in place and working well then hopefully you have reduced the noise that your clients produce and that time can go into improving the system. What do you think?

• One point that hasn't been made....

I work Kaseya configurations/improvements about 20 hours a week and helpdesk/Kaseya maintenance items the other 20 hours.

I have found that the better you manage Kaseya and use the utilities to PREVENT issues, the less overhead it is for your helpdesk personel. It can be troublesome but worth it nonetheless. Whenever I have free time I am fulfilling script requests and such and building a nice utility package. Each script can shave minutes of troubleshooting per instance used, that adds up to a lot of time.

Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • Just finished a bootcamp and have started taking over kaseya management in our company. Theres a lot to be done to overhaul the existing work thats been done and that has pretty much been default configurations to every machine under the default package.

Planning, Testing, Templates, Deployment and migrating over to v6 will keep me fairly busy for the next few months as im sure most of you guys have been there before.

Legacy Posted By Username: soscs
  • Yea, the early stages of the setup require a lot of time. I started out with a very basic set of monsets/event sets/scripts/etc.. and added to them as needs arise and ideas come up. I still go through and tweak, but not as consistently as I would like. It's an ongoing process.

• michaelr
    Yea, the early stages of the setup require a lot of time. I started out with a very basic set of monsets/event sets/scripts/etc.. and added to them as needs arise and ideas come up. I still go through and tweak, but not as consistently as I would like. It's an ongoing process.

That'll be an on going process, but as you (read:everyone) gets their system refined, the times to get things setup will lessen.