Kaseya Community

what triggers file server to download updates to patch dir?

• in patch management under file source... "File server automatically gets patch files from the internet"

When/ what triggers the file server to download the patches?

Legacy Forum Name: what triggers file server to download updates to patch dir?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jclark
  • It occurs when a patch update is scheduled on an agent and the required file is not found in the patch management share. The "get patch" script is scheduled on the agent that hosts the patch management share.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • I've often wondered this too, does the patch come down at the time of approval or when just before it is needed.

I think that may be the "When" part of the question... I'll watch for this myself but if someone already knows... Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • All patches are downloaded just prior their installation. Once the system to be patched passes some checks (credentials, patch location access, etc). A script is ran to download the necessary patch installation files (assuming they aren't already downloaded previously) on the system hosting the patch file source or the local system (if it is set to download from internet if patch file source is unavailable).

There's currently no way to have Kaseya download the patch installation files download prior to installation process. The best option is to install on one system (i.e. test system) then it won't have to download again for the rest systems using that patch file source. Also some have asked if large files like service packs could be downloaded via a threshold (i.e. background downloaded) again not at this time.

Matt

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • connectex
    There's currently no way to have Kaseya download the patch installation files download prior to installation process. The best option is to install on one system (i.e. test system) then it won't have to download again for the rest systems using that patch file source. Also some have asked if large files like service packs could be downloaded via a threshold (i.e. background downloaded) again not at this time.

Is this still the case? What if you try to update a "template" agent?

Legacy Posted By Username: Daan
  • The patch update process runs a series of scripts. These scripts are ran on local agent and agent of the system hosting the patch location. It still won't work on an agent template as the scripts on the local agent have to processed first before the scripts to download the patches are scheduled on the agent hosting the patches.

Matt

• Patching/scripting process looks like this, at the scheduled time for Automatic Updates. Assume PC name is Desktop 1 and the server (where the Patch File Source is located is Server 1)

- Desktop1 runs some credential related scripts (Script History shows script names starting with $ver$cred$AgentName and $ver$netcred$AgentName)

- Desktop1 schedules a script to run immediately on server1

- Server1 executes a script to see if the EXE patch files are already present in the file source folder.

- if not already present, Server1 then downloads the EXE patch files from the internet and saves them to the file source folder. (Script History shows script name starting with $get$ptc$AgentName).

- If the EXE file was already present on the server, the downlaod process skips/completed without a re-download.

- Server1 then schedules a script to run immediately on Desktop1

- Desktop1 runs a script to copy the patch EXE files from the network file source to the local Agent temp folder. (Script History shows script name starting with $get$ptc$AgentName)

- Desktop1 runs scripts to install patches (Script History shows script name starting with $inst$ptc$AgentName)

- Desktop1 runs scripts to reboot, as configured (Script History shows script names like Patch Reboot and starting Ask Reboot Continue1)

- After the reboot, Desktop1 runs scripts to re-run WIndows Updates patch scan (Script History shows script names like WUA Patch Rescan, WUA Patch Scan 1 and 2, Office Detection Tool, WUA Patch Scan Check, WUA Patch Scan PreReq2)

Hope this helps.

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Ok, but my answer was short and sweet. I didn't go pulling the script histories...oh well.

Matt