Kaseya Community

KServer stopped

• Hello. This morning I read an email message that was sent last night at 1:56 AM to alert me that the KServer had stopped.

When I checked in Control Panel->Services this morning, the Kaseya Service and Kaseya Web Exec service were both Started (I did not do anything to start them, they were already started).

I did not see any relevant events in the Windows System Log or Windows Application Log.

I did not see any relevant events in Kaseya->System->System Log. The K server seems to be working okay this morning.

I logged a ticket with Support. Waiting for a response.

I was wondering if, perhaps, this may have had something to do with Daylight Saving Time? I can;t think of anythign else unusual that would have been occuring last night.

Did anyone else experience anything like this last night?

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: KServer stopped,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    Hello. This morning I read an email message that was sent last night at 1:56 AM to alert me that the KServer had stopped.
    Did anyone else experience anything like this last night?

Ditto, paged with the same error at 1:57EST, but all was running by the time I fired up a connection. Doesn't look like anything rebooted.

Vernon Southmayd
    Creative Computing
    http://twitter.com/VernonSouthmayd

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vernon@midmich.net
  • My KServer stopped at 2AM also. I asssumed this was due to the daylight savings time change being applied. I restarted the KServer service and haven't had any more issues since.

Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • Vernon and Alan,

Thanks very much for the responses. I am going to assume this is/was just a one-time DST issue, and not a major issue.

Lloyd

• Strangely enough, I've had this message whilst the service was started. A restart of the Kaseya Web Exec service on my KServer fixed the issue. Might be something to look into if you DO have any more issues Lloyd Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • I got same message at 1:56:02am 8-Mar-09...

Legacy Posted By Username: christian@syneteksolutions.com
  • lwolf
    1:56 AM

lwolf
    1:57EST

lwolf
    2AM

lwolf
    1:56:02am 8-Mar-09...

This thread is now a contest. Who got alerted first.

Us: KServer on kserver.website.com stopped at 1:55:05 am 8-Mar-09

Pretty sure this had something to do with the DST time change. I don't think our server actually went down or was unavailable at all.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Ditto here... I remember this happening last DST.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • This is my first spring DST change. I don't recall anythign liek this happening in the Fall. Must just be a spring-forward issue.

Strange why Kaseya Support did not immediately recognize this when I created by Ticket.

Lloyd

• Here is a copy & paste of the latest email exchange with K support on my open ticket for this issue.

================================
    In conclusion, the only problem I found is the one with I/O errors in SQL. However the system recovery fast and reported been working fine after this.

As I have other tickets reporting similar issue, I will continue investigating and if founding anything that could lead to clear identification of the issue, I will re-open this ticket and providing an update to you.

However, I have to tell you in advance (even it is not your case), a lot of customer scheduled their Kaseya backups at 2:00AM and they might think that the system restarted, but in fact the system is just off-line the time the backup is under process.

I will be closing this ticket at this moment, however, if you require further assistance, please, reply to this ticket which in turn it will open again and will send me and alert.
    ================================

• I just received another email message from K support. Seems they have found the cause. Here is a copy & paste.

=============
    I just received an answer from our DEV team:
    "...
    This may be caused by a false alarm because of daylight saving time change. K server writes a heartbeat to database every 30 seconds. If EmailNotify checks the heartbeat before k server updates the heartbeat when the system time has been moved forward one hour, it consider the k server is offline for an hour and fires the false alarm. This only happens if emailnotify checks between kserver updates the heartbeat and system time changes. So it did happen to all customers. We will look into how to resolve this issue in the new release.
    ..."
    =============

• Ours Also

KServer on * stopped at 1:55:39 am 8-Mar-09

Legacy Posted By Username: lgarnier
  • hummm... looks like we'll need to sit on this for a year and see if they fix it!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I have seen this error, for every time change, for the last 3 years.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Just a reminder to all that the KServer sometimes has problems with Daylight Saving Time changes.

We experienced it earlier this year, when we moved our clocks ahead an hour. I can't recall if we also experienced it in the fall when we moved our clocks back an hour.

I guess we'll find out tonight.