Kaseya Community

Windows 2008 SP2 issues

• I am having some issues running scripts against Windows 2008 SP2 and Windows 2008 R2. The specific problem I am banging my head against is a script I run that calls wbadmin.exe to perform a backup to a network location. The script is very short:

1. impersonate domain admin user
    2. execute shell command (wbadmin.exe start backup -backupTarget:\\bs02\backups -allcritical -include:e: -vssFull -quiet >> c:\temp\backup.txt)

If I run this from kaseya, I get script success but the backup does not run. The output text file is created but it is empty. If I start a command prompt on the server and run the above wbadmin command, it runs and is successful. This same script runs fine on Windows 2008 SP1. I have several Sp1 and sp2 servers, and all of the sp1's run it fine, and all of the sp2's (and the r2) fail with the same blank log file.

Any ideas? I'm assuming there must be something different in SP2?

Legacy Forum Name: Windows 2008 SP2 issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: clegga
  • Also have disabled UAC!

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
  • Is this only happening on 64-bit servers?

With Kaseya only being a 32-bit program, some 64-bit commands won't work as they are processed by the WOW64 process on the server. I don't know of any work around until Kaseya releases a 64-bit agent.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • That did not occur to me before, but coincidentally all of the SP2 servers are all x64 as well. I guess I'm left waiting for Kaseya 6/2009/2010 whenever it makes it out before this will work for me Sad

• instead of using impersonate user try using the runas command (shell command) it's going to be a heck of a long string but that might work... and by work I mean trick the os into doing what you want it to...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Going along the x86 vs x64 line - I have discovered that the same result happened if I put the command into a batch file and scheduled that (either with kaseya or task scheduler). I have managed to build a command that forces use of the x86 cmd.exe as follows:

%windir%\SysWoW64\cmd.exe /C | wbadmin.exe start backup -backupTarget:\\bs02\backups -allcritical -include:f: -vssFull -quiet >> c:\temp\backup.txt

I can batch that one and schedule it with task scheduler. I havent been able to get kaseya to use the command successfully though, either as running a shell command or executing a file.