Kaseya Community

Kaseya Server Hardware - Looking for opinions

• Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a new server to run Kaseya. I'd like to spend the money to get something that is going to fly at around the 1000-1200 agent mark. Hoping I can get some input and recommendations from others. My budget is around $6000 and I prefer to buy from Dell. UPS and other external devices related to the server don't fall into the $6000.

Looking at the Dell website I can build the following server for about the peak of my budget:

PowerEdge R710
    Intel® Xeon® E5520, 2.26Ghz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT, 1066MHz
    12GB Memory (6x2GB), 1333MHz
    6x146GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI

My thought on hard disk configuration is Raid 1 (2 disks) for the OS + database, and Raid 10 (4 disks) for the transaction logs (.ldf). It doesn't appear as though I can use smaller disks for the raid 10 due to the server chassis. Needs to al be 2.5" or 3.5". The hard drive configuration is where I believe I need the most input as I am pretty certain that most of my current speed issues are IO related.

The server will be running Kaseya inside of ESXi.

Any thoughts on this? Suggested changes? Similar setups that are successful/unsuccessful?

Thanks,

Jesse

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya Server Hardware - Looking for opinions,
    Legacy Posted By Username: smartdolphins
  • Good morning!

Like your choice in servers, why so much ram (ehhh, ram is cheap so this is OK as long as you do a 64-bit install). Get redundant power, DRAC card, and 2nd Proc.

I'd recommend 3-450GB 15K drives instead (gives you room to grow if needed). But this is a philosophy choice and not anything critical.

Why put it in a virtual? Why not dedicate the machine to K (give it all the resources)?

Configured as such you'd be looking in the 5-6K cost range.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Oh yeah, install K6 instead of K2008 (knock off 2 birds with one stone).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Thanks for the input.

3 hard disks: I'd considered doing raid 5 for OS+Database and raid 1 for the transaction logs (5 disks total). Is that what you are suggesting? I've heard that raid 5 can kill SQL performance and was trying to avoid it, though I'm guessing it only matters for the transaction log files.

As for being virtual: The server would be 100% dedicated to Kaseya even though it is virtual. I just prefer it virtualized for a few other reasons (ie. portability).

Jesse

Legacy Posted By Username: smartdolphins
  • we use separate servers for the SQL database and the kaseya server.

we recently upgrade our ram on the sql server and noticed the performance increased. So I suggest the 12 gigs of ram

I don't understand the reason of getting a drac card unless your server is co located and you don't trust them do restart a server.

As far as the redundant power supply, I'd make sure the first power supply has a good UPS then figure in a UPS in for the second power supply

all that being said, I think your server will only be limited by your internet connection.

PS:We have a couple r710s as esx hosts and they have been amazing. Oh and our kaseya server is virtual and we have not noticed a performance hit.

Legacy Posted By Username: jcourtney
  • I would bump the memory to 16gb. This system with support everything you are trying todo plus growth.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • boudj

Get redundant power, DRAC card, and 2nd Proc.

Just be aware of SQL Server licensing. If you are using full SQL (not MSDE or Express) you will need a two processor license if you get two physical processors. The performance may certainly be improved, but you'll want to make sure your software is legal, and SQL per-processor licenses are not cheap.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Why dont use the new IBM 3650M2, superb performance on I/O for Disks....and you never do raid 5 for an SQL Server. The transaction File need maximum I/O...so your Raid10 is a perfect selection.

Legacy Posted By Username: oheymanns
  • DRAC is unnecessary because all (?) new Dell servers come with DRAC Express/BMC. It doesn't have all the features of DRAC, but is sufficient for the vast majority (hard reboots).

Power supplies fail and having a UPS doesn't change that. Redundant power supplies is a cheap insurance policy.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • nevesis
    DRAC is unnecessary because all (?) new Dell servers come with DRAC Express/BMC. It doesn't have all the features of DRAC, but is sufficient for the vast majority (hard reboots).

Not to hijack this thread and get off the orginal question.... but....

We do a lot of work with DELL servers, and usually purchase the DRAC cards. I did notice that the new models includes the DRAC Express card. Our sales rep said it did not have all of the features of the available "enterprise" DRAC card, but could not tell me what was included or not included with the Express.

Typically, we use them to connect to the console during boot, to initiate a hard reboot for lockup servers, and to view the screen recordings for recent reboots.

Do you know what features are includes/excluded from the new DRAC Express cards?

lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • There was a very interesting webcast for sizing servers for Kaseya. I don't remember what they recommended for your number of agent, but it may be a good idea to ask their expert on that.

Legacy Posted By Username: tbresse
  • I'd be inclined to create a single RAID 10 array. You don't lose any capacity, there's less wasted filesystem space, and RAID 10 outperforms and is more reliable than RAID 1. Make sure you do 1+0, not 0+1 though!

Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • jcourtney
    we use separate servers for the SQL database and the kaseya server.

we recently upgrade our ram on the sql server and noticed the performance increased. So I suggest the 12 gigs of ram

I don't understand the reason of getting a drac card unless your server is co located and you don't trust them do restart a server.

As far as the redundant power supply, I'd make sure the first power supply has a good UPS then figure in a UPS in for the second power supply

all that being said, I think your server will only be limited by your internet connection.

PS:We have a couple r710s as esx hosts and they have been amazing. Oh and our kaseya server is virtual and we have not noticed a performance hit.

How many nodes are you running? Originally I heard you should split up SQL and IIS at about 1000 nodes... now I see 5000 nodes.

jcourtney
    There was a very interesting webcast for sizing servers for Kaseya. I don't remember what they recommended for your number of agent, but it may be a good idea to ask their expert on that.

Was this for the latest version? Their website still says that Kaseya supports SQL 2000 and I am pretty sure Kaseya v6 doesn't support SQL 2000.

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian