Kaseya Community

Terminal services console session help!

• Hi all.
    Is it possible to use terminal services to log into a WinXP PC remotely and join the current session? It seemed as though the "console mode" would provide this feature, however I still get warnings about logging off the current user, etc, which is not helpful.
    Can anyone advise?
    Thanks!
    Alan

Legacy Forum Name: Terminal services console session help!,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • Alan M
    Hi all.
    Is it possible to use terminal services to log into a WinXP PC remotely and join the current session? It seemed as though the "console mode" would provide this feature, however I still get warnings about logging off the current user, etc, which is not helpful.
    Can anyone advise?
    Thanks!
    Alan

Short answer: No.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • Thanks for the info, I thought that might be the case.

But what exactly is console mode for if not for joining the current session?

• HI Alan,

On a terminal server, each session has a number. If you are running terminal services on a server that is NOT setup for terminal services, you are only allowed to use sessions 0, 1 and 2.

1 and 2 are what you typically get unless you specify that you want the console session with an MSTSC switch. If you do open the console session, this will open the session that you get when you physically log on to a server, and much like when you RDP to an XP machine, will show the machine as being locked if you log on remotely.

For an XP machine, you can log on as the same user who is logged on if they have RDP access enabled, however they will get the locked screen themselves. The only way to share a session and show a user how to do something is to use VNC. If you want to go outside Kaseya there is of course lots of alternatives.

Regards,
    Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the response.
    My goal is to let a set of end users log into my system to access their own desktops. From what you have described, it sounds like this will work if RDP is enable for their accounts on their own machine? it does not matter than the desktop is locked locally, only that they are able to access the programs that they have left running when leaving the office.
    The problem seemed to be that I was prompted to log off the end user before I could join the console session, which defeats the purpose of course. But based on your post I am thinking that perhaps RDP was not enabled for that user account?
    I will investigate this some more. Please feel free to add any other thoughts.
    Thanks again. Smile
    Alan

• Hi Alan,

Using RDP to do this is very feasible. We have been using RDP for clients to access their work machines from home or the road since long before we implemented Kaseya.

A few things to bear in mind:
    1. Specifying the console session is not that important for logging into an XP machine like this, and can / should probably be avoided.

2. Obviously make sure the user has permission to log on using RDP. Easiest way to do this is the remote control tab in System Properties of XP.

3. You do not need to leave the machine logged on. If the machine is not logged on as anyone, it will log on with the credentials you supply when you log on to the RDP session.
    Also note that if you log on to the machine through RDP as someone with administrator privileges and someone else is already logged on to the machine, you will be asked if you want to log that user off. This only works as administrator and in a typical 'dial in to my work machine' scenario should not be an issue anyway.

FINAL TIP. We use Kaseya to give our users access to our terminal server in-house. However, for a lot of our users we did not want to give them access to ANYTHING except RDP to that machine. To do this, we put the terminal server in it's own sub-group (sitename.terminal), and for the group those users belong to they ONLY have access to RDP and log off. No remote control settings or anything, that's it. It seems to work well. One thing we did find is that if someone changes the remote control type for a machine, it changes the type for all users. I discovered this when I changed our terminal server to VNC one day and soon after got phone calls from people who could not log on to the terminal.

Regards,
    Chris

Regards,
    Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • when you RDP to a "workstation OS" (XP, Vista, Win7) you *will* take over the console... if you try to login with the same username that is already logged in you will "inherit" the session, and they will get the "This workstation is in use and has been locked" message.

If you provide different credentials than the currently-logged-on user, you will be prompted as to whether you want to drop their session and start a new one with *your* credentials instead... basically you force-logoff the current user and log in in their place.

Inevitably what happens is this: at the PC, the user sees their screen "lock" and they immediately unlock it, which drops you (the kaseya-using admin). You then reconnect, which locks their screen, which they promptly unlock, dropping you again. Fun!

This is why it is important to use KVNC for XP/Vista/workstations in general.

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels