Kaseya Community

Agent service fails to start

• We've started to notice that a few agents from random machine groups are not checking in, even though the unit is on.

In checking the service the the start up is set to "Automatic" and recovery, in all but one case, is set to "Restart the Service"

If I try to manually start the service I come up with "Could not start the Kaseya Agent" service on " ... "Error 5 Access is denied."

I've googled around and tried some of the fixes to no avail.

So I come asking if anyone has encountered this and have resolved it, or if anyone has any ideas.

If more information is required let me know what you need.

Legacy Forum Name: Agent service fails to start,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Where is Kaseya installed and what account is the service using to start?

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • GDRBrian
    Where is Kaseya installed and what account is the service using to start?

Kaseya is installed in c:\program files\monitor\agent\

Log On As "Local System"

• Using Trend at all?

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/114/t/5069.aspx

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/114/t/4675.aspx

Legacy Posted By Username: wodger
  • I just double checked and none are using Trend, unless they've done a housecall our clients tend to use Symantec.

• thirteentwenty
    Kaseya is installed in c:\program files\monitor\agent\

Log On As "Local System"

What permissions do you have on the c:\program files\monitor\agent folder? Does the system account have access to that folder?

• I've double checked and have applied full permissions on the affected machines, still unable to start the service.

• I got physical access to one of the affected machines and reinstalled the agent. Same thing cannot start service... error 5... any other ideas?

• Ok, so I was rooting around the error logs and found this

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( KaseyaAgent ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: CreateService failed while attempting to install Kaseya Agent.

which is odd because I haven't tried to (re)install Kaseya on this machine

• thirteentwenty
    Ok, so I was rooting around the error logs and found this

which is odd because I haven't tried to (re)install Kaseya on this machine

Did you set credentials to the kaseya install? How about if you create a new install package without setting credentials (or setting credentials)? Whichever one you already tried.

• I'll give that a try next time I'm onsite and post the results...

but the odd think is that the agents have been running on these machines with out incident for months now...

• Sorry for the late update but here it is...

I've reinstalled the agent with no credentials but after a few hours the same thing happened... the agent services stopped.

I did find that on one machine if i logged in as the local admin the service started, then I set the recovery settings to "Restart the Service", rebooted and had the user login and all was fine.

I know there are a bunch of machines out there that are like this. And if this is what needs to be done to all of them, this is what we'll have to do.

Next set of questions.

1) Can any one think of, or suggest a way that I can discover which computers have the agent service stopped on a global scale so to speak and
    2) Can anyone think of an easier way to fix all of them.