Kaseya Community

Kaseya Connect 2009 Post Mortem

• I thought I would start a discussion for those who attended this year's user conference or for those thinking about attending in the future.

So what worked?

Kaseya 6! – I’m so excited.

Vegas – With low airfares and always something to do, it was a great backdrop.

Four Seasons – Fantastic accomodations. Didn’t get to spend much time in the room, but enjoyed it when I did.

Lunch & Dinners – All the food was fabulous. Plenty of portions and options.

Price – Since the conference price included accommodations and dining, you can’t argue at the price, especially at the early bird rate.

Evening Events – Both evening activities were well thought out and fun.

Preconference Sessions – The Tuesday sessions were all good and set a positive tone for the conference.

Lab – With live demonstrations of Kaseya 6, I sit here now and wonder why I left it to attend some of the sessions I attended.

Fanfare – From the Google Earth intro to Wayne Cotter & Guy Kawasaki, the fanfare for the event was electric!

-----

So what might need improvement?

Schedule – I ended up getting up earlier in Vegas to make it to breakfast on time than I do at home to get to work. I think an 8AM breakfast with a 9AM conference start time would be more suitable to compensate for most people’s late night Vegas life.

Sales Sessions – Too many of the sessions felt like they were geared to sell us something.

Kaseya IT Services – I hope the COO, who I think was standing in the back of the room during this session, realizes how poorly developed this offering is. Every question that was asked was answered with a “no, we don’t (or can’t) do that”. If and when they get this one right, I’ll look at it again.

Breakout Sessions – Having to choose 2 of 6 topics to attend was brutal. They were too short and too few. I think most people would agree that this was the “meat” of the conference and it was treated like an optional “side”.

Tonight Show – Maybe it was just me?

-----

Ideas?

Overall, I would have loved Kaseya to offer sessions around key components to offer both best practices and user feedback. I think hearing what works and doesn’t work from our peers is invaluable. I think they should have unveiled Kaseya 6 on Wednesday morning and dedicated two days to exploring it possibly including inviting users to bring laptops and providing logons to a “virtual” Kaseya test environment. In other words, move the cramped and loud lab into the sessions and make those the sessions.

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya Connect 2009 Post Mortem,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Joey Judd
  • Joey,

I believe you re-capped it very well - both the What Worked, as well as the Needs Improvements.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I agree, especially around the breakout sessions.

It would have been better if the break outs had been scheduled to run a couple of times, so that you had the option to attend more sessions.

The Kaseya 6 session was really superb, great to see the new features and support for Linux, Windows Mobile and iPhone all coming along.

I really enjoyed Gary Pica's session on selling Managed Services, as its great to hear from someone who hasgoing though the process and is willing to share what works an what doesnt.

The Partner sessions, whilst good, should have been Breakout sessions and some of the Breakouts should have replaced them in the 'Core' sessions. Most attendees were their for core Kaseya information, with the Partner information being a secondary consideration.

Meeting and talking with people from Kaseya and the Forums was great - really good to put a face to someof the names.

Being relatively new to Kaseya I spent time talking to people who are more experienced in Kaseya. This was both on the technical and the Sales and Marketing side of things. So for me 'Networking' was also a very important part of the conference.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • I would have like to seen a larger or more contact in the demo room. With 10-12 people looking over your shoulder or standing in front of you, I found it a little difficult to get to the right person to dig deeper into some questions. But persistances paid off and the demo guys had valueable info that you wouldn't have otherwise heard.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • I had a way too large reply written up but it ended up sounding really bitter.

I feel pretty disappointed in the whole event. For starters, with a few exceptions the whole event seemed like it was just a 2-day sales seminar that I had to fly across the country for. It felt like everyone was just trying to sell sell sell.

Off the top of my head:
    Robin Robins and her Managed Services Blueprint, Gary Pica and his FormulaOne coaching program (day before), ALL the PSA vendors had 45 minutes to an hour to push their stuff in the main room, as did Xerox and as expected, Kaseya with the IT services as well as all the future "add-on" modules (Online Backup, Advanced Monitoring, Service Desk, KES update, BUDR update, KUSM update)

I hope next year that the sponsors can just get their own room where they can punch each other (sorry Arnie Sad ) and/or push their products and services to whoever chooses. I'd also like to see more presentations that give us solid ideas or tips other than a slide at the end with a price in big bold font on it. On the other hand, having Autotask and Tigerpaw in the main room, back to back, did give me time for a nap which I desperately needed Stick out tongue.

The presentations last year were way more informative than this year. To be honest, the interaction and discussion with the other Kaseya users is at this point, what's keeping me from be extremely pissed off with the whole thing. Seeing some people that I met last year and discussing how things have or haven't changed was cool, as was meeting new people and forming some new connections.

v6 is looking awesome. The Live Connect feature is possibly the best thing I have seen in IT management software in a long long time. The ability to pretty much fix anything without initiating a remote desktop session is great. The customer portal looked great, it will be awesome to have all that info in an easy to access single place. The Kaseya product and people are great, and Vegas...is well, it's Vegas the town is hard to beat.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • I enjoyed the conference this year. I especially enjoyed the first day (tues afternoon) when Robin and Gary made their presentations (one on Sales, the other on Marketing).

I would have liked for the K6 info to be introduced to us on Wed, so we would of had more time to discuss it with our peers and K.

I would have liked if Connectwise, Autotask, and Tigerpaw would have been breakout sessions for those who were interested (and think about it... I bet 70% of the people attending already run one of these products).

I really wish there would have been more content/training about Kaseya in breakout sessions that were fully rotated, so if we missed the 2pm session, we could catch it at the 3pm session.

Kaseya did an excellent job of entertaining all of us, which is definitely part of any vendor summit. My hats off to them regarding this.

I really enjoyed meeting my peers and discussing business practices and ideas.

I really enjoyed meeting the execs and sales people from Kaseya... I found I had several especially productive conversations with them. Even though I may not see eye to eye with them on some things, it was still nice to see a face and see that they were trying to figure things out (especially Alan from Service).

In the end, I came to this vendor summit looking to communicate with my peers, see what's going on at K, meet some of the people from K, and learn something new. I feel that I got this from the summit and would recommend that any owner attend it if possible.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I had a great time on the whole, however I think that there was a good amount of information that I wasn't really expecting / interested in.

I spend almost all my time during the day working in or with Kaseya, so the "How to sell your services" isn't really something I needed. Or I guess I should say wanted...

I was disappointed that the sessions that were about sales got to run over the allotted time, when things like KES and "Tips and Tricks" got squeezed.

The KES session was cut so short that we didn't get time to look at most of the slides, though Jeff did show them quickly, he could not go over them... So I feel like I left with more questions than answers.

The Tips and Tricks with Matt Warburton (And a couple other guys whose names I can't recall... sorry guys... Matt did most of the talking...) was also cut so short that we didn't get any tips or tricks, but instead it was turned into a Q and A forum... and even at that, there was only enough time for about 5 questions.

At the end of the conference, I certainly took home a lot of information, but I'd have preferred to learn more about Kaseya than Twitter or how to make a good power point presentation.

I unfortunately was not able to hang out on Thursday much, I had a 3pm flight, so I left during lunch. However, my coworker stayed, and said he was a little disappointed in Connectwise. He said that there was a lot of "Well gosh Len, Autotask doesn't do that, does it???" He said the fellow from Connectwise was unnecessarily unprofessional and condescending. Again, I didn't see it, but that's the impression I got.

I didn't get to catch the BU DR, and didn't see anything on Monitoring at all.

I liked the tonight's show.

Legacy Posted By Username: Matt.Conlon
  • Great input everyone!

I think Kaseya forgot they label it a USER conference, which to me means, almost everyone at the conference is just that, a USER and interested more in increasing their productivity and exploring new territory with Kaseya than sitting through sales pitches. They may want to consider a tract system like: Sales & Marketing as a tract and Technician & Engineering as a tract.

I'm glad the sponsors were there and the "luxuries" they provided us. Matt.Conlon, your coworker was right about the Connectwise session. We use and love Connectwise the product, but I emailed my boss during the Connectwise session and said if we were looking to buy Connectwise at the conference I wouldn't have recommended it just based on Arnie's behavior. I ended up like so many and walking out of his session. Sad. Sad

• Joey Judd
    I thought I would start a discussion for those who attended this year's user conference or for those thinking about attending in the future.

Kaseya IT Services – I hope the COO, who I think was standing in the back of the room during this session, realizes how poorly developed this offering is. Every question that was asked was answered with a “no, we don’t (or can’t) do that”. If and when they get this one right, I’ll look at it again.

Hi Joey,

Thank you for attending the UC and thank you for the feedback. I'd like to hear more about the areas in which you feel are lacking around IT Services. Since we're in the process of developing these offerings any input from partners helps us craft the services to meet your needs.

My position here at Kaseya is to develop the IT Services offerings based on feedback and my experience in the MSP market. Please, if you have time, email me at bob.penland@kaseya.com so we can chat offline.

For everyone else,
    A personal thank you for everyone who attended my sessions and gave me your time. It was great to meet everyone (even you Lloyd Smile ) and looking forward to seeing you all again next year. My email box is always open and if I can help in any way please contact me.

Bob Penland
    IT Services Program Director

Legacy Posted By Username: bob.penland@kaseya.com
  • Thanks Bob for your interest in this thread and I'll try and get an email out to you today.

• too much info in too little time. The schedule was constantly bungled to the point that by the time we got into some of the sessions they only ha time to take a few questions.

Add another day, or even 2 to the conference.

Legacy Posted By Username: nenstuart