Kaseya Community

Vpro Remote Control

• Is there a way to remote control a vpro machine? Like a hard drive got messed up and you need to get in to the bios/post to start the windows bootup cd to reinstall from scratch.

Has anyone tried that? I am familiar with the reboot/shutdown. But from all Vpro material from Intel it seems like you should be able to remotely control the computer like you are sitting in front of it.

Real life examples? Anyone?

Thanks!
    Daniel

Legacy Forum Name: Vpro Remote Control,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ddenhoed
  • This is something that would be of great benefit to so many people. I have wanted to sit down and look for some sort of remote control bios program but haven't had the time to look for one... If there is something out there it would be great to hear about Smile

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Comsyco
  • vPro/AMT does have console redirection via serial over LAN.

I went to a presentation when Intel announced it and I had a brochure with more details, but off the top of my head, SyAM software is the only program I *know* can be used, but I'm pretty sure Altiris and Landesk support it too.

Of course... Kaseya doesn't.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • I have spent hours trying to play with vPro/AMT and for the life of me cannot get it to work.
    We were testing it on an Acer laptop and Kaseya. After 2-3 hours of calling Intel, Acer and Kaseya, I was still unable to get a handle on it (And thought it funny that both Intel and Acer had absolutely no idea what vPro was until they transferred me 3-4 lines up in their department).

If anyone has any further information on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Legacy Posted By Username: luke.bragg
  • amt_quick_start_guide1.pdf
    I was able to get the power control to work with VPRO by switching it from Enterprise mode to Small Business mode. I also had to set a separate static IP address for each NIC with VPRO. The computers are still setup to use DHCP but there is an additional IP address on each NIC for VPRO management. I have attached a quick-start guide that helped me.

Legacy Posted By Username: dschultheiss@interdev.com
  • I have been totally underwhelmed with our first look at Vpro .. Am I missing something?

Legacy Posted By Username: Steve Morris
  • Steve, you and I are basically in the same boat. Yes power cycling is nice, but it's a bit pricey for a remote power switch that only works on one device. Always looking forward to the next update though. Big Smile

Kenny

Legacy Posted By Username: kroberts210
  • If you take some time to learn a bit more about vPro, you will learn that it can also provide the tools to load the OS, access the BIOS and more.

Now if Kaseya could add in the out-of-band BIOS and console access, that would provides some more value.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Sounds great.
    Is there a way to do this via the web interface .. or are there alternative apps that we can use to access the BIOS foe our VPro machine?

Legacy Posted By Username: Steve Morris