Kaseya Community

Quick remote control

• Hi all, can anyone help me out here?

We are using Kaseya, but my Boss is grumbling that it's too slow to connect to a new machine. Sad

To explain the situation, a new client, often referred to us by a vendor of product we resell, calls us. We want/need to take a look at the issue and want to connect remotely to see first hand the issue they are having.

The Boss and the Trainer we have here are using UltraVNC SingleClick to QUICKLY connect to XP machines, and GoToMeeting to connect to Vista Machines. They are find it quicker and easier to than Video Streaming in Kaseya.

My 2 cents worth here is that TeamViewer is also MUCH quicker at getting an initial connection.

Note that I'm not whinging about the speed of the connection, I know that the version about to be release is going to be faster, we are living with it as it is. It's about being able to QUICKLY respond to a new client enquiry.

It's a PAIN point I'm getting grief over here in our office.
    Three, no four different methods to connect (listed in our staffs order of preference-read SPEED):
    1. UltraVNC (quickest)
    2. GotoMeeting
    3. Video Streaming
    4. Deploy agent (slower than video streaming because you need to wait for the scripts to run (audit etc)).
    People (clients) with drama happening don't wait for a few minutes very well.

Thus, after all that Smile, is my question: Is there a way to make the initial connection of Kaseya quicker?

Legacy Forum Name: Quick remote control,
    Legacy Posted By Username: benhamilton
  • Hi Ben

At the moment all connections to the remote machines go via your K Server, and associated network connection. So if your K Server is very busy or the network connection it is using has limited bandwidth available this will impact all remote control sessions.

In Kaseya 6 this is changing, so that the connection will only use the K Server for 'authentication' and to set up the secure channel. After that has been established you will then have a point to point connection between your desktop and the clients system. This will improve Remote control performance, reduce the load on your K Server and dramatically improve scalability.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • PeterS
    At the moment all connections to the remote machines go via your K Server, and associated network connection. So if your K Server is very busy or the network connection it is using has limited bandwidth available this will impact all remote control sessions.

I use Kaseya's K-VNC for Remote Cntl and find it reasonably quick (to connect and screen updates). Not as fast as RDC, but acceptable in most cases. The current RC is script-based, so there are times when Kaseya cannot connect into a machine because another script is already running or queued ahead of it. That is a major flaw in the current RC design.

But I was not aware that once a connection is established, that one's KServer was still involved in the connection. Are you sure about that PeterS? I thought the RC session ran directly between the technician's workstation and the agent being RC'd into (other than some initial connection stuff).

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • I can confirm that kserver is needed for continued remote control.

I had a KVNC connection to a client when our kserver was bounced. I lost connection and had to wait for the kserver to come back up to re-establish the KVNC session.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Good to know - thanks Garry. Perhaps that does explain the mediocre performance of Kaseya's RC tools - when compared to others...

• I find the performace of the remote control tools in Kaseya to be more than adequate (it's just as fast as the others). When using RDP it goes pretty instantaneous and when using VNC or Kvnc it usually takes 5 seconds before it connects (we preload the client at install of K agent).

Now my server is configured to support 2000+ agents (Dell PE2950 5 -15K sas drives (raid 5), 16GB RAM, 2 - QC processors, windows 2K3 64-bit OS.... all for $4000). So maybe this is why I haven't felt and remote control performace issues.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • But if a layer of communication (one's KServer) can be removed, performance will no doubt be better (less is MORE). Sounds like K6 will bump up performance of Remote Cntl - great news!

• I agree with you Mike... I'm aways for improvements! Now from the conference, what I remember is the live connect (and it's remote control) remove the server out of the loop after the connection is established. What I'm curious about is the current remote control will still be there, so will it also get rid of using the server to proxy the connection?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • benhamilton

4. Deploy agent (slower than video streaming because you need to wait for the scripts to run (audit etc)).
    People (clients) with drama happening don't wait for a few minutes very well.

Thus, after all that Smile, is my question: Is there a way to make the initial connection of Kaseya quicker?

You can make a 'remote only' agent that is tied to a template that ONLY installs the remote control components and avoids the lengthy audit altogether.

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
    You can make a 'remote only' agent that is tied to a template that ONLY installs the remote control components and avoids the lengthy audit altogether.

Hi Benjamin,
    Can you describe in more detail how to do this? I know I could have an agent template that has no audit or patch scans scheduled and use that to deploy a new agent. But it seems to me Kaseya always forces a baseline audit on a newly deployed agent that runs for minutes after the agent software is installed. And how do you create a template that preloads Remote Cntl components, like K-VNC? I thought the only way to do that was to go to Remote Cntl->Preinstall RC (after the agent has been installed)...

• ReedMikel
    Hi Benjamin,
    Can you describe in more detail how to do this? I know I could have an agent template that has no audit or patch scans scheduled and use that to deploy a new agent. But it seems to me Kaseya always forces a baseline audit on a newly deployed agent that runs for minutes after the agent software is installed. And how do you create a template that preloads Remote Cntl components, like K-VNC? I thought the only way to do that was to go to Remote Cntl->Preinstall RC (after the agent has been installed)...

Agent -> Create

call it 'remote only'

Bring up the single machine interface for this remote only agent

cancel all listed scripts

Select Remote Control, go to Select Type, change it over to KVNC

Select Preinstall and check off the remote only agent for pre-installing Remote Control

Since this is a remote only agent, I also suggest disabling the system tray Icon via Agent -> Agent Menu

You can also remote the Kaseya Menu, RealVNC start menu entry, and disable the VNC systray Icon by tying those scripts to this remote only agent (they're all in my script pack...)

Now go create a new agent (Agent -> Deploy Agents). During the second step of the wizard, you have the option of copying settings from another agent -- in this case, select your new 'remote only' agent.

That should do it. A 2MB agent that installs rapidly and is ready for remote control right away.

If this is an agent you'd want under permanent management, you would want to setup a standard template with your preferred settings and apply it via Agent -> Copy Settings.

I could have spent a half hour putting together screenshots for this process but hopefully you can follow it well enough. If you have any problems let me know.

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • A baseline audit is still forced whether you cancel all the scripts or not. Anyway to get around that?

Legacy Posted By Username: SteveR
  • That was my hunch too - I just had not tested it...

• We've been using this method successfully for a while, couldn't find anything to help the audit issue. It is quick in 9/10 cases though.

Legacy Posted By Username: kroberts210
  • Thanks for this Benjamin. Sorry for the long delay replying but this last few weeks have been very hectic Smile in a good way.

This info was what I was looking for. Smile

Ben.

Legacy Posted By Username: benhamilton