Kaseya Community

External Checking - Web Server

• Does anyone know what the Web Server check within the External Monitoring setting actually does ?

We had it set to check a website every minute and to fail (and email etc) after 3 minutes. The site was down over the weekend and nothing came out of the alerts, though other alerts for other monitor sets did fire (so we know the kaseya server was emailing etc).

The web server was entered as www.mydomain.com, though we have done tests since using www.mydomain.com/index.html etc and that didnt fire an alert either.

Does it just check that the port is open or that actual content is being returned ?

Olly

Legacy Forum Name: External Checking - Web Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: oliverm
  • I'm pretty sure it checks for a response to a "GET" request for the URL you supply... I have not pointed it at a "404" page yet, but I am pretty sure it would pass. I use a second script, to check for specific text on a page, to confirm the page is being rendered, and a third script to log into web pages requiring authentication, and then check for text.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mparr
  • fancy sharing those scripts ? Smile

• snapshot6.jpg
    I've attached an image of how we configure the checks after logging into a website. This needs to be modified per website depending on the form code etc. The checks are performed by the agent installed on the kserver.

I have installed a full version of curl in d:\kaseya\scripttools\curl

The full text of the command field "Program, parameters and output file" is:

cd d:\kaseya\scripttools\curl && d:\kaseya\scripttools\curl\curl.exe -k -d "txtPassword=password&txtUserName=username&submit=login&chkRememberMe=off&__VIEWSTATE=" -c c:\Temp\authdotdomaindotcomcookie.txt -L https://auth.domain.com/Default.aspx > c:\Temp\authdotdomaindotcomlogin.html

No other scripts are required.

Here is an example of the same command but just checking a webpage for specific text. You can see it's pretty simple stuff, but effective.

d:\kaseya\scripttools\curl\curl.exe "http://www.itlab.co.uk/" > c:\Temp\wwweitlabcouk.html

Legacy Posted By Username: mparr
  • Ahh bingo, thanks.

I've seen can also use

\curl.exe -o www.mydomain.com