Kaseya Community

Windows RC7 Upgrade from Vista - Kagent

• This is more to let Kaseya know and for anyone who does the upgrades from Vista.

We have done a few now and while there are no major problems we have a problem with the KAgent every time. It loses all configuration.

Our icon is correct (i.e. it is showing ours not the K) but nothing else. It is always showing offline and always says "No IP Address Set for the KServer - Agent newuser@kaseya.com"

We then have to download the agent and reinstall it again (we can use the default install package not necessarily the specific one for the group). It then picks up everything (name, settings, etc) as if there were no changes.

Just thought everyone would want to know when it comes to it. Windows 7 is going to be released 10/22/2009.

Legacy Forum Name: Windows RC7 Upgrade from Vista - Kagent,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Shehan
  • I have not had any problems what so ever.

Then again I don't "upgrade".....I always format andd reload from scratch.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • pbrophy
    I have not had any problems what so ever.

Then again I don't "upgrade".....I always format andd reload from scratch.

So you would roll out Windows 7 to a client site with 500 PCs who are on vista currently by formatting and reloading their PCs?

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Shehan
  • I do only clean installs. No in-place upgrades. I've found in-place upgrades to be messy. They always seem to be more problematic. Users report more lockups, poor performance, and other issues. So yes, I'd create images and rebuild them all! Plus I'm moving most systems to 64 bit. 32-bit systems can not be upgraded to 64-bit via an in-place upgrade. So it's imaging for me.

Matt

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Mark Shehan
    So you would roll out Windows 7 to a client site with 500 PCs who are on vista currently by formatting and reloading their PCs?

Not exactly.

Mark Shehan
    I do only clean installs. No in-place upgrades. I've found in-place upgrades to be messy. They always seem to be more problematic. Users report more lockups, poor performance, and other issues. So yes, I'd create images and rebuild them all! Plus I'm moving most systems to 64 bit. 32-bit systems can not be upgraded to 64-bit via an in-place upgrade. So it's imaging for me.

Matt

AGREED!

Could not have said it better myself.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • MS has some excellent tools for Windows 7 deployement to take the pain out of this process.

500 machines x 2+ hours per machine to upgrade and have doubts about the stability of those machines. I'd look at standardising the desktops and using the Windows Automated Installation Kit.

You may have a learning curve to get up to speed on the tools, but ongoing support effort is greatly reduced.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • I wholeheartedly agree with smbtechnology! WAIK in conjunction with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (I'm using the 2010 Beta) is a HUGE timesaver. I can format/reload a system with all apps installed in about 1.5 hours...

Legacy Posted By Username: MesaKadmin