Kaseya Community

"Execute as System" w/ Shell commands: limitations?

• I've never been totally clear on "Execute as System" (EAS). In many cases I'd like my scripts to be able to run with OR without a user being logged in, so EAS seems like the answer.

Can anybody explain what scenarios will fail with EAS? I assume shell commands referencing mapped drive letters would be one scenario that will fail (use UNC path instead). But what other limitations are there for EAS?

TIA,
    -Mike

Legacy Forum Name: "Execute as System" w/ Shell commands: limitations?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • ReedMikel
    I've never been totally clear on "Execute as System" (EAS). In many cases I'd like my scripts to be able to run with OR without a user being logged in, so EAS seems like the answer.

Can anybody explain what scenarios will fail with EAS? I assume shell commands referencing mapped drive letters would be one scenario that will fail (use UNC path instead). But what other limitations are there for EAS?

TIA,
    -Mike

accessing the HKCU hive, modifying user profile variables, modifying user-specific application settings like Outlook profiles

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Hi,

[INDENT]In many cases I'd like my scripts to be able to run with OR without a user being logged in, so EAS seems like the answer.[/INDENT]

Scripts can run as a user - even if the user is not logged in at the time. One of the problems with running as the System is that often the system account does not have read / write permissions to some directories (including network shares).

Legacy Posted By Username: SamBelcher
  • Thanks Sam - I did not know that.
    I guess it's a lot like the Window's Task Scheduler, where just about anything can be run under any user account?

SamBelcher
    Scripts can run as a user - even if the user is not logged in at the time.

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • ReedMikel
    Thanks Sam - I did not know that.
    I guess it's a lot like the Window's Task Scheduler, where just about anything can be run under any user account?

It's very similar.

Legacy Posted By Username: SamBelcher
  • In some cases, you can use either "impersonate use" or "use credential" and then run as user, that way even if a user is not logged in it will work.

Legacy Posted By Username: eddy@dgs.com.au