Kaseya Community

Remote Control with KVNC as Non-Administrator

• Hi guys,

I am now running my laptop without local admin privileges (trying to practice what I preach Smile )

When I try to remote control an agent using KVNC it doesn't work. The VNC icon doesn't appear in my system tray like it should. When I right click on IE and "run as" administrator, it works fine.

I am using Windows 7. When I was using Vista I would have to use "run as" the FIRST time, but the next time I could run as a regular user and it would work.

Is anyone else successfully doing this without administrative privileges? Is there a workaround I can try?

Thanks,

Legacy Forum Name: Remote Control with KVNC as Non-Administrator,
    Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • I figured this out - for some reason the file kvncviewer is never copied to C:\Users\Daniel.DOMAIN\AppData\Local\Temp, even though KRlyCCon.exe is. If I copy the file here manually it works.

Updated my blog post on this issue

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
  • Does anyone know *why* the kvncviewer.exe doesn't get copied to C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\Temp ? From time to time, this file goes missing (assuming it gets cleaned up by CCleaner/etc) and then we have to manually copy the file again, before remote control will work.

Yet, if I don't manually copy the file, and try to RC a machine:
    1. It sits there for a little while, then says "The viewer has connected to the KServer" even though the VNC icon does not appear in my system tray (like it would normally do, when kvncviewer.exe does exist in my AppData\Local\Temp directory)
    2. Waits for the whole 120 seconds or whatever I set in agent check-in control, then says "Agent connected directly. Remote control should have been successful"

Yet a VNC window never pops up, and the kvncviewer.exe is never copied.

What I am wondering is *when* should the .exe be copied to my PC? Where is it falling over?

I realise no-one may know the answer and I may have to contact support, just thought I'd see if anyone else has looked into this first.

Thanks,

• With Vista, we've always had to run as Administrator the first time. I'm wondering if ccleaner is removing this file do you need to run it as administrator again.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • But even when I run it as Administrator the first time, it does not put the kvncviewer.exe file in this location. It seems like the Administrator rights are for the activex control?

What seems funny to me, is this temp folder is located in *my* personal profile, a directory I have full rights to.

Oh yeah I should mention, this is Windows 7 Wink

I will try on my boss' Vista laptop tomorrow and see if it's the same.