Kaseya Community

Temp Directories Empty

• I've recently noticed that my temp directory for 2008 x64 and vista x64 machines are empty. I've installed BUDR and KES without any problems so files are definately making it there but nothing appears in there.

I have made sure to set the file source to not delete the files, that show hidden files and system files are on, and that I login with a local admin account.

It seems to be linked to the location of our temp, which is c:\windows\system32\XYZ\temp

If I change to c:\temp the files display no problem. Any vista/2008 specific settings I'm missing by chance?

Legacy Forum Name: Temp Directories Empty,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MaWi
  • The chances are this is a permissions issue. We see issues of this type quite a lot where the temp directory has been put under system32.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dwalsh
  • MaWi,

Just to be clear, are you talkign about the Windows Temp directory, or your Kaseya Agent Temp directory?

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I had an issue with a script not running, which wrote a file to the Kaseya Temp directory. My Kaseya Temp directory was set to C:\Windows\KTemp - and I gave "Users" the "Modify" permission to this folder.

On a hunch, I tried creating a directory that was not under C:\Windows - I created C:\KTemp and granted the same permissions to the "Users" group - and guess what? It worked!

Note this was a Vista PC giving me grief - the same script ran fine on Windows XP. Both these PCs were logged in with a regular user account - neither had Admin rights. Yet, Vista seems to have a bit more security on the Windows folder.

Just thought I would share for the next person who searches upon this post Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • I don't think the problem resides with giving permission to the users group, but with a system object like "Local Service" or "Network Service". Try and add one of these guys and see what happens.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • BTW - Did you make sure the account you use for Credentials also had permissions to this folder?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • The problem I was working on involved running scripts that call "execute shell command" and they were set to "as user".

The account I use for "set credential" is actually a domain admin, and on Vista it still wouldn't work, but as soon as I took the folder out of the Windows directory it worked.

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy