Kaseya Community

Agents showing as Online when they are not functioning

• Over the weekend we had a couple of servers which were showing as online, but we were unable to connect to them and the users reported this morning that they were not functioning. It was not until the router was rebooted on their end that the agents for the servers that were down finally showed that they were offline.

Has anyone else had this happen, or know why the agents were still thinking they were online and the last check-in time kept changing when the server was not actually functioning?

Thanks
    Kellie

Legacy Forum Name: Agents showing as Online when they are not functioning,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Kellie
  • Just noticed that myself, in fact I came to the forum to see if anyone else had that problem or had a resolution to it yet. Came across this post first but I plan to keep hunting.

With ours, we set the check-in time to 1 hour, yet Last Checkin Time (Agent Status page) shows all workstations in that group as the exact same time, which happens to be the time that I refreshed the page.

We then took a machine off the network and the Last Checkin Time still counts up as we refresh the page! Just did this now so I should be able to tell you within 1 hour whether it goes offline as I expect.

We originally thought the machine may be checking in more frequently than it was set, but it turns out that the field is just updating itself instead. (or it isn't really stored at all!)

This does not give me faith in the Last Checkin Time field!

Update: Last Checkin Time has stopped for that machine at 1:03:08 pm 14-Apr-09 even though it was unplugged from the network at approx. 11:40! You would think the latest it could be is 1 hour, 12:40. Does it have to miss two checkins in order to be considered offline?? Still one would think Kaseya should know that it did miss two checkins and update last checkin to 11:03:08 am 14-Apr-09!! Who else thinks this is a problem?

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: FollowThisLogic
  • http://portal.knowledgebase.net/article.asp?article=276800&p=11855 should help with the 'Why is my last checkin time the same for all machines' question.

Yes, the agent will be given two checkins 'grace' before flagging itself as offline.

Seems to be all working as it should.

Why the long checkin times?

Legacy Posted By Username: T2Craig
  • We're in the testing / checking out phase. Right now we just use it for gathering info, so there's no sense in blowing bandwidth on it.

We had one client where a 30-second checkin time (on 21 client machines) was causing 1700ms+ latency to the internet on a full T1.... cut checkin time down, and like magic, the internet was normal again.

Anyway, that KB article says something interesting and untrue:

If the agent does go offline for a period of time, the kaseya server will notice this and the "last check-in" time will stay at the last time that the agent was seen by the server.

I get the 2-checkin grace, but... especially if it was a persistent connection, Kaseya should know what time the last contact was, rather than saying the 2nd missed checkin was the time it became offline.

I guess Kaseya is not designed well for long checkins? What is the optimal checkin period people use?

• FollowThisLogic
    We're in the testing / checking out phase. Right now we just use it for gathering info, so there's no sense in blowing bandwidth on it.

We had one client where a 30-second checkin time (on 21 client machines) was causing 1700ms+ latency to the internet on a full T1.... cut checkin time down, and like magic, the internet was normal again.

There are some serious issues with the router, your T1, or what you have configured with Kaseya if 21 machines cause such a latency problem.

We've got a few clients with T1's as well as regular broadband with 30+ computers and do not see any negative impact with agents checking in every 30 seconds.

Legacy Posted By Username: eruberts@sjconsultant.com
  • eruberts@sjconsultant.com
    There are some serious issues with the router, your T1, or what you have configured with Kaseya if 21 machines cause such a latency problem.

We've got a few clients with T1's as well as regular broadband with 30+ computers and do not see any negative impact with agents checking in every 30 seconds.

So this made me dig deeper, and I found that their firewall (Netscreen-25) was running ScreenOS 4.0.... upgraded to 5.3.0 and dropped Kaseya to 30 sec... no problems!

Thanks for giving me a good kick in the brain.

Sorry for hijacking this thread by the way!