Kaseya Community

Script bug: ASP timeouts editing a script *if* large # folders/files in VSASharedFiles

• Hi Guys,

Here's a fun bug:

I have a script that deploys Office 2003 to machines by copying an administrative installation folder that exists in VSASharedFiles folder on my KServer. If you know Office CDs, that amounts to hundreds of folders, and 4000+ files. While I had no problem running the script, I cannot edit it in VSA. I get an ASP 0113 timeout error about a minute or two after clicking on script's edit tool. After wasting many hours today, I believe I traced the problem to the fact that the ASP code that runs when editing a script cannot handle working with lots of folders/files Sad I was able to edit it *until* I copied the thousands of files into my VSASharedFiles folder...

I'll work around this bug by compressing everything into a single .ZIP and adding a step to my script that extracts it on the destination machine.

Update: just compressed all the Office 2003 files into a single ZIP file. Now my script opens quickly without a timeout. Actually, I had 2 Office admin install folders (2000 & 2003), which I just compressed into 2 ZIPs. Prior to the ZIPs, that amounted to 8000+ files! So indeed this was a bug...

Why do I just keep finding bug after bug with Kaseya? I would have thought all my fellow Kaseyans who have had the product far longer than I would have shaken all these bugs out by now Smile As a one man shop I lose so much time to all these bugs and quirks, that I am not saving any money in my first year of owning KaseyaSad Just par for the course, huh?

On to the next bug...

Legacy Forum Name: Script bug: ASP timeouts editing a script *if* large # folders/files in VSASharedFiles,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • ReedMikel
    Hi Guys,

Here's a fun bug:

I have a script that deploys Office 2003 to machines by copying an administrative installation folder that exists in VSASharedFiles folder on my KServer. If you know Office CDs, that amounts to hundreds of folders, and 4000+ files. While I had no problem running the script, I cannot edit it in VSA. I get an ASP 0113 timeout error about a minute or two after clicking on script's edit tool. After wasting many hours today, I believe I traced the problem to the fact that the ASP code that runs when editing a script cannot handle working with lots of folders/files Sad I was able to edit it *until* I copied the thousands of files into my VSASharedFiles folder...

I'll work around this bug by compressing everything into a single .ZIP and adding a step to my script that extracts it on the destination machine.

Update: just compressed all the Office 2003 files into a single ZIP file. Now my script opens quickly without a timeout. Actually, I had 2 Office admin install folders (2000 & 2003), which I just compressed into 2 ZIPs. Prior to the ZIPs, that amounted to 8000+ files! So indeed this was a bug...

Why do I just keep finding bug after bug with Kaseya? I would have thought all my fellow Kaseyans who have had the product far longer than I would have shaken all these bugs out by now Smile As a one man shop I lose so much time to all these bugs and quirks, that I am not saving any money in my first year of owning KaseyaSad Just par for the course, huh?

On to the next bug...

I personally had a Scripts-related ASP timeout issue this week. I tried to sort the scripts alphabetically using the link. When I clicked on it, it would time out and leave them partially sorted. I ran it a few times in a row as it seemed it got a little better each time. Eventually, I got involved in something else and didn't worry about it. I just noticed yesterday that now my scripts are no longer in the folders in which they belong. My scripts are scattered randomly in various folders. I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to go through them and manually moving them to the correct folder. I've barely made a dent. Very frustrating!!! Mad

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • All these bugs indicate to me that Kaseya must not use the product to manage its own PCs. Or it barely uses the full feature set like real IT people do Sad

• I believe I traced the problem to the fact that the ASP code that runs when editing a script cannot handle working with lots of folders/files I was able to edit it *until* I copied the thousands of files into my VSASharedFiles folder...

I... don't think this is a bug in Kaseya, really. Think about what's happening: The script editor window has to populate the "Write File"/"Write Directory" drop down with everything available in VSASharedFiles. There's probably a limit to how many individual items you can squeeze in, or there's a timeout just trying to read thousands of entries.

This is an HTML/Javascript thing, not a Kaseya thing, from where I'm sitting. You're much, much better off using an archive (Zip, ISO, whatever)... though even then, shoveling out hundreds of megabytes per machine from your K-server seems a bit time- and bandwidth-intensive.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • [QUOTE=RCS-Michael;39860]I tried to sort the scripts alphabetically using the link.[/QUOTE]

Script organization is the single most consistently-frustrating thing about trying to manage my Kaseya environment. Hands-down. I have yet to work up the courage to try that alphabetical sort function, but every time I create a new folder and start moving scripts into it, I find that other scripts wander from folder to folder almost at random, and I have to go corral them back where they belong.

Suffice to say that I only create new folders when I get frustrated enough with scrolling through the list all the time (or searching for the same script over and over again) to put up with the frustration of the folder-creation process.

• Send em tickets - that's the only way the developers hear of these bugs... I don't think they troll the forums looking for bug reports...

• I heard in one of the Tech Jam sessions that they're (apparently) working on a whole new script organization system, so... I can wait. I'm at the point now where I only want to open tickets for stuff that I think there's a chance they'll actually work on.

• The downside is that if folks don't officially report bugs/quirks, then Kaseya lacks direction/focus Sad

• I recently imported the Kaseya Script Pack, which included hundreds of scripts. Now, I am *sometimes* getting error some sort of timeout error when just scrolling thru the list fo scripts. (I can't remember the exact error, and it seems to be working okay at the moment).

Lloud

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    I recently imported the Kaseya Script Pack, which included hundreds of scripts. Now, I am *sometimes* getting error some sort of timeout error when just scrolling thru the list fo scripts. (I can't remember the exact error, and it seems to be working okay at the moment).

Lloud

"Kaseya Script Pack"? What.

Is that something separate from the scripts that are included with the default install? Did they come from the hosted version of Kaseya?

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • GreyDuck
    Script organization is the single most consistently-frustrating thing about trying to manage my Kaseya environment. Hands-down. I have yet to work up the courage to try that alphabetical sort function, but every time I create a new folder and start moving scripts into it, I find that other scripts wander from folder to folder almost at random, and I have to go corral them back where they belong.

Suffice to say that I only create new folders when I get frustrated enough with scrolling through the list all the time (or searching for the same script over and over again) to put up with the frustration of the folder-creation process.

I have a ticket #178530 about this issue open now. GreyDuck, if you want to open a ticket, you can refer to that one to show them that it's not only a problem on our KServer.

Thanks,

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Happened to me last week too. Had to spend several minutes reorganizing all the affected script folders... I'm not sure how easy this bug is to reproduce, so held off on a ticket. But maybe I'll refer to your ticket as well...

[QUOTE=RCS-Michael;40139]I have a ticket #178530 about this issue open now. GreyDuck, if you want to open a ticket, you can refer to that one to show them that it's not only a problem on our KServer.

Thanks,

Michael[/QUOTE]

• I know it isn't exactly the same but I ran into this in my early days of deploying k when I went report crazy and had to increase the metabase.xml size described in KB Article # 268086 and I'm wondering if it might prevail, in this essence too? I know it is a long shot, but worth a try as it can be undone. I keep my limit around 20meg because of running enterprise wide reports quite frequently.

Legacy Posted By Username: tsorensen@group1auto.com
  • Hey Grey (sorry for the lame rhyme),

What if Kaseya had an undocumented limit of 500 tickets, after which trying to view tickets resulted in an ASP timeout. Would that be a bug? Call it whatever, but it prevents the product from working as expectedSad

It's along the lines of a Microsoft Foxpro bug I remember many years ago - where they coded a delay loop based on processor cycles. They never thought about the future "hey, what happens when CPUs double, triple or more in speed?". Well, it caused the application to GPF on fast machines... So they unbugged it Smile

I imagine the solution to this ASP timeout is to not populate directory and file pull down lists. Instead, simply display a dynamic folder/file selection widget. Problem solved...

You're right that in most cases one would not want to push an Office 200x install from a KServer. But I have a client with a small satellite office that connects to a remote server via VPN. VPN is painfully slow for pushing files from the remote server, so I opted to push them directly over the Internet from my KServer to a satellite machine (they have cable broadband). I also used this Office 200x installer script to quickly push out Office to 3 new machines that were at my office and connected to local (KServer) LAN. So there are times when it is useful...

I have since changed to a single .ZIP file Smile

Oddly, I got the idea to push out the thousands of files from a sample Kaseya-written script. I assumed the author was a guru - and since I'm a newbie, I never questioned the script...

Anyway, Kaseya confirmed that this bug (or ummm "problem") exists and will address it in a future fix...

GreyDuck
    I... don't think this is a bug in Kaseya, really. Think about what's happening: The script editor window has to populate the "Write File"/"Write Directory" drop down with everything available in VSASharedFiles. There's probably a limit to how many individual items you can squeeze in, or there's a timeout just trying to read thousands of entries.

This is an HTML/Javascript thing, not a Kaseya thing, from where I'm sitting. You're much, much better off using an archive (Zip, ISO, whatever)... though even then, shoveling out hundreds of megabytes per machine from your K-server seems a bit time- and bandwidth-intensive.

• Cute, very cute. Big Smile My recommendation for using the "write directory" function wasn't written with very large, very complex directories in mind, however...

I agree that Kaseya really needs a better way to offer us lists of Shared Files, but my point stands that as written now, it's not built for what you were originally trying to do. Maybe Kv6 (or Kaseya 2009 or whatever they decide to call it) will bring much-needed improvements to the script-building UI. (Please? Pretty please?)