Kaseya Community

Try to Sell Kaseya to Internal IT Admin

• Hi folks,

I am trying to sell Kaseya to an internal IT Admin. Basically we manage his servers with Kaseya but he has been paying for kaseya on his desktops and for him to manage them. He has never used it and now wants to stop paying for it. I have to sell it to him.

Can anybody assist things to go to him with and say it can do all this for you as an internal IT person. I know patching is the obvious / scripts etc. But any internal people think wow could not be without it because......

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: Try to Sell Kaseya to Internal IT Admin,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Some of the major benefits they would notice are the likes of automating the deletion of temp files, defrag checks, ticketing (if they would like users to have another alternative method of reporting problems...), he could setup monitor sets and low disk space warnings which would all give him heads up and the ability if configured properly to resolve problems with the workstations before they fail meaning he wont have angry department managers on his back because they cant access their documents... and the obvious patch management and reporting features...

Hope this helps.

LukeSmile

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Comsyco
  • All the features and benefits won't make a difference if he won't use them. Ask him what HIS biggest challenges/issues are and see if you can solve them using Kaseya. That's your best chance of him selling himself on why he needs it.

Legacy Posted By Username: rkniffin
  • and by all means don't let kaseya know. we were about to sell kaseya to an internal IT person. he filled out an online questionnaire on their website. then kaseya started calling him and offered it to him for half of what we could sell it to him for. what did kaseya do about the situation? oh they huffed and gruffed and said that that should never happen and they were taking the matter so very seriously, but ultimately they did nothing.

Legacy Posted By Username: bkelleher
  • bkelleher
    and by all means don't let kaseya know. we were about to sell kaseya to an internal IT person. he filled out an online questionnaire on their website. then kaseya started calling him and offered it to him for half of what we could sell it to him for. what did kaseya do about the situation? oh they huffed and gruffed and said that that should never happen and they were taking the matter so very seriously, but ultimately they did nothing.

Really? Half?

What is Kaseya's kick back to partner referrals? I am sure that even with the kick back Kaseya would have made more money through you than going direct. It probably depends on the situation though.

Also regarding the actual topic...

This guy should have been managing his own desktops as an admin in your Kaseya but has never logged in? Am I reading that right? I say force him to log in and show him around. Show him Resistance2Fly's youtube video (click me), then ask him to beat it by going to each workstation by hand and doing that.

Then go off to the reports and generate various reports on the network. Licenses in use, what workstations are low on memory or disk space, etc.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Partner referrals is supposed to be 10%.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • bkelleher
    and by all means don't let kaseya know. we were about to sell kaseya to an internal IT person. he filled out an online questionnaire on their website. then kaseya started calling him and offered it to him for half of what we could sell it to him for. what did kaseya do about the situation? oh they huffed and gruffed and said that that should never happen and they were taking the matter so very seriously, but ultimately they did nothing.

Hi, I'm part of the team that manages the Kaseya MSP Sales group.

Regarding "don't let Kaseya know"... We actually NEED to know so we won't sell to your customer. Our MSPs have the opportunity to register their deals with us and if the end-customer contacts us directly we refer them back to their MSP. If the deal is not registered and they request information on our web site but don't tell us they heard about Kaseya through their MSP, we have no idea they are already working with you.

This is all part of the Kaseya Reseller Program. If you are not familiar with it, reach out to your Account Manager and they can bring you up to speed. Basically, if you want to sell and support the software to your customer, register the deal with us and you can sell it and earn a margin of 25% or more. If you don't want to be responsible for supporting the software post-sale, or you don't want to try managing the sales process yourself, then you can refer the deal to our Public & Private Sector (PPS) sales group. They'll work the deal and Kaseya will support the software post-sale and you can earn a referral fee.

Our PPS team gets compensated on the deal whether they sell it or whether an MSP sells it, so they're not interested in trying to compete with you guys... If you're interested in being a reseller, we want to support that, but you have to let us know you're interested. Our PPS team will provide support for you to help you sell the deal.

It's all about communication... If you don't let us know that you want to sell Kaseya or who you're selling to, then the potential for conflict is there. If you let us know that you want to resell and who you're selling to, then we can support you. If you have any questions, please reach out to your Account Manager who will be happy to discuss with you further and introduce you to your PPS rep for sales support.

Jason Paquette
    Director, IT Service Provider Sales
    Kaseya Corporation

Legacy Posted By Username: jason.paquette@kaseya.com
  • Hi Michael,

We have been through a similar process and by far the biggest seller for the internal guy was.....
    Remote Control.
    Within Kaseya you have secure remote control and you dont have to worry about opening ports in a firewall.
    Mind you, this support person was supposed to look after 5 remote sites with about 5 machines at each site compared with a two hour drive.
    Remote Control may not flick everybodys switch but this guy loved the ability to get remote control from anywhere without having to setup VPNs.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • jason.paquette@kaseya.com

Our MSPs have the opportunity to register their deals with us and if the end-customer contacts us directly we refer them back to their MSP.

Jason, can we get some clarity on the process for "registering the deal"?

I did go through this about 18 months ago and was told just to send an email to my rep with the name of the person & company I was talking to. That's simple enough but there wasn't any feedback and I was told I needed to give the exact name of the person. That seems a bit dicey. If I'm working with a large prospect and pitching some type of SLA to the CEO but he tells his CIO to just buy Kaseya directly then the names don't match and I get left out.

It isn't that I really want to be a reseller but I do have an SLA that is a fit for larger clients who have an internal IT staff. Kaseya is so awesome that I know these people need it -- either through me as a service or directly from you as software. My hope, of course, is to sell MY services but I can't approach them without revealing my secret bottle of magic.

Some will buy my services and some will buy your software but I really can't approach any of them without some protection. Making this process a little more formal would be great.

--Tom

Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • Hi Tom,

It really is just as simple as email the information to your Account Manager. What they do with that information is to put it in our CRM system and label it as a Registered Resale Opportunity and put your name on it.

What happens when a new lead comes in (e.g. your customer fills out a Price Quote Request on our web site), the first thing we do is to search for duplicate Leads. This search for dupes will allow us to find that this customer is registered to you already. We will then refer them back to you for their interest in buying the software.

The more information we have about the Lead you're registering will improve the chances that the search for duplicates will identify this. The best way to identify it is to know the email domain of the company as this pretty much never is put in wrong the way a person's name, company name, or phone number could be. For example, if we only know the company name as "The Law Offices of Dewey Chetum & Howe" but they fill out their price quote request online as "DCH Law" the search for duplicates may not find it. However, if we know their email domain is "@dchlaw.com" then no matter who fills out the form or how they put in their company name we have a very high rate of identifying registered leads.

The next layer of protection to identify registered customers if this doesn't work is whenever we talk to a new lead, one of the very first questions we all ask is "How'd you hear about Kaseya? Are you working with a reseller?" Most of the time people are honest and say "Yeah, Tom at Sequoya uses you guys so I was curious about bringing it in-house." We then tell them, "Oh, that's great! You can actually talk to Tom about buying the software!" Most of the time, they just didn't know the MSP (and in a few cases the MSP didn't know either) that they can sell the software to them.

Not understanding what the customer wants to buy, and only thinking of what we want to sell them sometimes causes end-users to come back to Kaseya after being referred to their reseller saying, "We want to buy Kaseya but the reseller won't offer us the software. They're only offering services but we don't want the services, we can do it ourselves if we have the tool." This causes us to call the reseller and remind them that the desire of the customer trumps the desire of the service provider or Kaseya. If we won't sell them the software because they're your customer and the MSP won't sell them the software because they want to sell services, then everyone loses. If the customer doesn't want services, then they're going to find software and if it isn't Kaseya then it will wind up being LANdesk or Altiris or SMS/MOM or something else and we all lose... You lose the deal, Kaseya loses a chance to increase market share, and the customer loses because they end up using an inferior/more expensive/harder to use/more time consuming product. Services may be the goal of the MSP, but resale is a viable fallback option if the customer doesn't want services.

Keep in mind, the difference between the value your services provide and the value of implementing software are two different value propositions. As a Kaseya user yourself, you know that implementing Kaseya is not a magic wand. Kaseya is a "force multiplier"... If you put Kaseya in the hands of someone with the appropriate expertise, it will magnify that expertise and make that person far more scalable. If you put Kaseya in the hands of someone who is inept, it will only magnify their ineptitude. If that IT department needs the expertise you provide, them buying software doesn't replace that expertise. If they have expertise internally to manage their own systems, but just not enough time, they could implement Kaseya and be successful with it. Just remember, selling that you can replace that person with expertise with your services will get you kicked to the curb because especially in today's economic climate they don't want to lose their job to you... In some cases we've seen, if they have the appropriate expertise (e.g. Sys Admins vs. just desktop guys), they'll submarine your efforts to replace them but you can make money off them by selling them the software and make something off of them instead of nothing from them.

As mentioned before, if you don't want to be in the business of selling and supporting Kaseya software, you can throw the deal over the fence to us... We'll work it, we'll sell it, we'll support it and you'll get a referral commission.

If you want to sell Kaseya and support the software post-sale, then you can get margins higher than the referral commissions.

Jason Paquette
    Director, IT Service Provider Sales
    Kaseya Corporation
    Bothell, WA, USA

• Jason, thanks much for clarifying. This sounds good. Having the mail domain as the key seems like an unambiguous way to do this.

Now I just need to dig up that contact I had at General Electric... ;-)

Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • I think the lesson here is for the original service provider to get as much information as possible from the potential sale and forward that to the right person. It's obvious that there was some sort of miscommunication or disconnect between Kaseya and bkelleher. Either bkelleher didn't pass over enough info to uniquely tie that referral to him or Kaseya has since changed how they track information. It's probably a little of both.

Thanks for the post Jason.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • michael.martin@itfocus.ie
    Hi folks,

I am trying to sell Kaseya to an internal IT Admin. Basically we manage his servers with Kaseya but he has been paying for kaseya on his desktops and for him to manage them. He has never used it and now wants to stop paying for it. I have to sell it to him.

Can anybody assist things to go to him with and say it can do all this for you as an internal IT person. I know patching is the obvious / scripts etc. But any internal people think wow could not be without it because......

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hijack your thread. Back to your original question, reach out to your Account Manager. Of course, get input here from the community as well, but the Account Manager will help you with two things:

1. Get the lead registered so if they contact Kaseya we'll know they're your customer.

2. Put you in contact with one of our PPS (Public & Private Sector) Sales Reps who can assist you in the deal, answer these questions, provide positioning and value proposition, etc.

~ Jason