Kaseya Community

Reports on applications show duplicates

• We're trying to run a report displaying the symantec version, but because it's detected in more then one place it's coming back with 40 or 50 listings for only 25 machines. We're checking for rtvscan.exe and it's located in Program files\symantec as well cached installs within program files. What we're looking for is a way to restrict the location file it's looking for.

Any suggestions?

Legacy Forum Name: Reports on applications show duplicates,
    Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks
  • For things like this, the fastest way is to use the Kaseya Views and do a query from SQL Reporting, Excel or anything else that will look at these views.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • We're experiencing similar issues with software license reports.

Sure, we could use Kaseya views etc, but this isn't Kaseya working as intended and it'd be nice to have a fix Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • We are a recent Kaseya Customer and it is quite frustrating. It is one of the things that we installed Kaseya to assist us with but when then having to manually edit out duplicates in a Software listing it is very annoying

Legacy Posted By Username: HYAUS
  • In this case, Kaseya is working exactly as it's intended, there is nothing to fix. LANWorx, if you have a genuine repeatable problem, please report to support, it's part of your payment and you are entitled to use it if you are experiencing an issue.

runnetworks,

If you do a search for just rtvscan.exe and there is multiple versions, then obviously Kaseya will show multiple versions. To fine tune the listing and show only one entry per machine you will need to find a way to make the query unique. I don't have symantec installed so I can't give an exact entry, perhaps try application, description and version.

Personally I think it would be much easier to have a script look for the version in the registry, as this will be found only once, and will be acurate. Use the Get Variable command to pick up the value from the Registry, then write it into the script log. You can then use a Log report to give you a list of the machines with entries maching your script log entry, here is an example:

Script Name: symantec version sample
    Script Description:

IF True
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 0
    Parameter 2 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Version
    Parameter 3 : SymantecVersion
    OS Type : 0
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Symantec Version is: #SymantecVersion#
    OS Type : 0
    ELSE

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • I agree it's working as intended, but it doesn't work effectively. We should either be able to filter the search for only *program files*, or it should show the full path. rtvscan shows 10 & 11 on many machines. Is it installed twice or is it an uninstall left over?

We shouldn't have to create a script just to find version lists for executables. We should be able to use a similar report for office to find a certain build or practically any other application.

• Runnetworks,

I am extremely sorry if someone has told you that this feature was in the product before you bought it. Please contact me directly on ray.barber@Kaseya.com and I will endeavour to get it followed up and dealt with accordingly.

If this is just something that you would _like_ the product to do you are of course welcome to ask for it. The best approach I have found is to email support@Kaseya.com and put Feature Idea: followed by a title in the summary, and give a good explination of what you would like to see, and a simple business argument is also a good plan, just to give weight to the idea and explain why you think other MSP's would benefit from the feature.
    Anyway, that's been the most succesful approach for me in the past.
    If you take a look at the 2009 Roadmap for Kaseya (downloadable from the front page), you will see there are a number of plans to expand the product in this area, so now would be a good time to get any suggestions in as the new product is designed and developed.

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • Just quickly, if I do an application report looking for *Microsoft Office* on a particular machine and it pulls up multiple copies of Office 2003 and a 2000 install (in some cases) is this working as intended or did I miss something here?

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Ray, No one told me anything about this feature before I bought it. I think HYAUS had that problem. I have used this report in the past without a problem, though. It was prior to the Kaseya 2008 update.

I ran a report for Product Name matching *microsoft*office* on a 22 machine office and it it shows I have 259 copies of Office 2003 installed under "registered" applications and 75 copies of Office 2007 under "unregistered" applications. There's also another 456 copies of Office 2003 installed under "unregistered applications".

So the problem isn't that it reports on multiple installs when they are truly installed, but it seems to pull data from separate locations. In the case of Symantec, we have upgraded from 10 to 11, but it still shows that a 10 rtvscan exists. It must be an old uninstall file.

I hadn't used that report for MS Office until just now. I think it's worse with Office than Symantec.

• Going back to runnetworks original statement, I can confirm that we are seeing the very same issue. We are in the process of upgrading our clients from Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10 to Symantec Enpoint Protection v11.

Today I tried to run a report on RTVSCAN.EXE - to see how many were listed as v11.x. It showed about 1500. Looking more closely, each machine was listed twice. So in reality, only about 750 machines had been upgraded.

Looking at the Installed Apps for the machines, I found that, for each machine, there was a file in the C:\program files\Symantec Antivirus, and another copy in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Cached Installs\{3BAB4914-9CC1-4CC2-A3DA-56EF62DFD373}\program files\Symantec\SEP

When I looked for other EXE files related to SEP v11, I found that every one of them was in both locations. So I don't have any way to select a different EXE file to search for that is only located in the C:\program files\Symantec Antivirus folder.

Now, I understand that there are 2 physical EXE files on the machine, in 2 different places, and that Kaseya would have to report information on both files - otherwise I could see someone complaining about why a file that was located in two different places was only reported once.

That being said, I am trying to figure out how I can create a simple list, and accurate list, of all the computers that have v11 of this EXE file installed?

I suppose I could do something with Excel and Kaseya Views.

I am not sure if anyone has run into this issue with other software, besides Symantec.

Any ideas?

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf