Kaseya Community

Migrating to new Kaseya Server

• Good Afternoon,

We have been using a Virtual session of 2003 server for testing purposes of Kaseya. We have live data on the server and are now realizing that before we get too big the virtual session must give way to a full server.

My Question is how difficult is it to migrate from the VM session to the new server. We are using the SQL Express 2005 DB if that helps any.

Legacy Forum Name: Migrating to new Kaseya Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jm-ctaccess
  • Use Acronis or Symantec imaging software to perform this task. As long as you keep toa standard server you should be fine. Maek sure to schedule a dry run to see how it goes.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I think I may need to re-state my question....

Can I just do a DB restore on a clean install of Kaseya to accomplish this?

• Got it... look int the support Knowledgebase for documentation on how to do this. also, submit a helpdesk ticket to K to get the latest info on doing this. I did this a year ago and it went fine.

• Thanks - Will Do!

• Direct link to the KB article. It's pretty easy to do, we have done it 3 times now.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Just a quick note, I've always wondered about performance if you had gone with the original solution. Using a image restore of a VM would leave the 'VM tools' installed on the non-VM machine, correct? Does this impede performance at all or cause any issues?

Hopefully this will make sense to someone, my VM knowledge is limited.

Cheers guys.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • You would uninstall these tools after moving to the physical server.

• If you are moving to a physical server, I'd only recommend the database restore option.

A virtual machine uses generic drivers for network cards, drives, etc. which I would think may catch you down the road regardless of the VM additions being there or not.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • Ah, of course you would boudj! Stupid me for not thinking of that.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Alright so I started the migration to the new Physical server. And during the install I get the following error:

Connection to the database failed.

SQL 2000 prohibits remote access to the database with Service Pack 3 installed.
    Verify you have SP3 for SQL2000 installed on your server.

I am using SQL Standard 2005 and the SA account, but somehow it tells me the following error when I try to go to the main page of Kaseya:

The Virtual System Administrator failed to connect to the database named (local)\MSPKASEYA with account KaseyaVSA1CB32F.

Any Assistance would be great.