Kaseya Community

Billing from tickets: why isn't there a notes-level HOURS field?

• I find it odd that the developers designed the ticket database tables without a field to record # hours spent on each note we add to a given ticket. While it's nice that the parent record (ticket header, I suppose) has a field to record total time spent on the *ticket*, it seems like a big omission to not also be able to record time for each note...

Imagine invoice header and invoice detail data files - and that the detail file did not have a field to record an individual line item's cost (or qty)?

I guess the developers just never thought that MSPs might want to bill from the tickets we collect? Guess I'll submit this as an ER...

Or, maybe being a newbie, I missed something?

Legacy Forum Name: Billing from tickets: why isn't there a notes-level HOURS field?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • I should also add that the Reports->Ticketing report doesn't seem like a useful report for billing. So my plan is to use a SQL reporting tool to create an activity report that lists all new *notes* added since last billing cycle. I'll attach this report to my QuickBooks invoice... Oh, and since each note does not have a corresponding #Hours field, I will have to use the approach of typing in something like "Hours=2.0" in any ticket's note that I want to bill for (and querying on that as a condition). Fortunately I have no employees, so I am the only one entering tickets - so I'll be religious about entering it Smile

I'm sure some will suggest a 3rd party add-on that integrates with Kaseya, but as a small MSP, I'm already paying out more than I care to for these MSP tools... Sometimes I feel like I'm buying a new car, where there are dozens of add-ons to choose from Smile

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
  • Hmmm, just how are all my fellow Kaseyans doing their billings?

Kaseya - could you comment on why there is no field for hours at the note level?

• We use Connectwise to handle our billing. Since we are primarily a Managed Services shop (set monthly billing), this doesn't bite us in the ass.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Same here, we are using ConnectWise 8.0 for billing, agreement management and everything else. Hopefully with Managed Services 2.0 we are getting away from Kaseya, only missing part is asset integration with CW. Did i mention, that they have worst support on the world?
    BTW, i read Kaseya roadmap, and, its like, free ferraris for everybody, all fluffy and somewhere in the cloud.

For example, Kaseya roadmap:

Timeline (none) - ITIL aligned
    Timeline, soon - Service Desk

CW Roadmap:
    Q1 2008 - New web portal, added project and agreement management
    Q2 2008 - New redesigned graphic interface, new RMI module

Legacy Posted By Username: rudi
  • I too would like to see a "Time" field for each Note, with the "Total Time" at the ticket level. For companies (like ours) that don't have ConnectWise, etc. how are people using Kaseya to help with Invoicing? Any other options?

Thanks!
    Bill

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • Bill - I added some custom fields to ticketing, such as Total Hours Worked, Billable Hours etc. You'll notice that Kaseya will create a hidden note every time one of these user-defined fields gets updated. e.g. "Total Hours Worked changed from 0.00 to 1.00". So after entering a new note, I always update the Total Hours Worked field and see the hidden note get generated. I then use these hidden notes in a SQL report that I created (in Visual FoxPro) to produce a ticket activity report which I attach to my invoices (for hourly clients). There's a caution in this approach: I've observed that if you enter # hours in this custom field at the same time you *create* a ticket, no hidden note will get generated! So enter your notes first and click on [Submit], then enter # hours and click on [Update]. I think this is another bug in ticketing that I will report. I am amazed by the lack of such a basic field as #Hours at the note level. I'm not sure why the developers missed that one - unless they assume no MSPs have hourly clients?

I've submitted a Feature Request for adding a "Hours" note-level field. But if others submit requests too there's a better chance Kaseya will act on it... To be more flexible, maybe they could add user-defined fields like they allow at the ticket/parent level.

billmccl
    how are people using Kaseya to help with Invoicing? Any other options?

• Being able to add hours to a note would be an easy but very beneficial improvement.

We've added a few custom fields that only the person doing the billing can edit.

1) Everyone had to add to the Total Hours field.
    2) At the end of each month we have an "Hours this period" and "Total Hours" field where any open tickets at that time have their hours moved to.

Since most tickets are opened and closed in one pass, we only have to deal with the above for a small percentage of the tickets. It does mean we can keep tickets open over a billing cycle and be able to see the total hours billed on a ticket. Also we pretty much never get the billing done on the planned day, we avoid the risk of missing hours that might carry over from the previous month. I do wish this was more automated. (Actually I'm planning on automating through a view and a script each month.)

The other thing that we are just wrapping up is a calendar view on the tickets. We, like probably most others, suffer from techs not updating tickets. The calendar view should help to resolve this. I've warned them all, that I'll be looking for that white space on the calendar where they havn't accounted for their time.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • Doug - have you noticed that if you enter a number in your custom Total Hours field *before* you click on the [Submit] button (for the FIRST note of a ticket), that no hidden note is created? Future updates do not show this problem. That means you could be missing some hours in your custom report - assuming you look for hidden notes like "Total Hours changed from 0.00 to 1.00" in order to calculate # hours... So I have to keep reminding myself to always enter # hours *after* I have clicked on [Submit]. But I run a solo shop - so I know I'll lose money if I don't enter it right - I imagine it could be a problem with several techs...

• That was a problem for a billing report and one of the reasons we went to a calendar view on the tickets. When our techs open up Kaseya, the first page they see is a calendar view on the tickets for the last 4 days including a spot where it shows new tickets and tickets closed with no hours.

Before they leave at the end of the day they have to ensure that they can look at the calendar and account for all of their time.

We actually bill by the total hours, not the hidden notes, so we don't miss it in billing. More of our problem has been to ensure people actually entered the ticket for the work they do.

• In my case, I have to bill by the time recorded in the hidden notes, as a ticket that is a year old could get reopened by a customer (via email), and additional time would be added to the custom Total Hours field. If we simply billed using the Total Hours value, we might be charging the client for time previously billed a year ago... I imagine you do not reopen tickets? Maybe you create new ones and refer to the old(prev billed) ticket?

doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
    We actually bill by the total hours, not the hidden notes, so we don't miss it in billing.

• If I re-opened a ticket, as part of re-opening it I would move add any hours worked down into Total Hours and then clear the hours work.

Essentially we keep Hours Worked as Hours not yet billed unless the ticket has been closed and archived.

Archiving closed and billed tickets is also part of our strategy. We often re-open tickets, we sometimes un-archive older tickets but usually try to avoid this.

One other thing that we did to help with problems with archiving tickets is we created an ASP page that allows us to search across both current and archived tickets and view all of the detail without having to unarchive a ticket. This helps to build a bit of a knowledge base.

We also keep the "Hours This Period", "Period Date" and "Total Hours" read only. When the one person that does the monthly ticket wrap-up needs to do the work he makes these writeable so that under normal circumstances no-one enters incorrect information.

• rudi
    Same here, we are using ConnectWise 8.0 for billing, agreement management and everything else. Hopefully with Managed Services 2.0 we are getting away from Kaseya, only missing part is asset integration with CW. Did i mention, that they have worst support on the world?
    BTW, i read Kaseya roadmap, and, its like, free ferraris for everybody, all fluffy and somewhere in the cloud.

For example, Kaseya roadmap:

Timeline (none) - ITIL aligned
    Timeline, soon - Service Desk

CW Roadmap:
    Q1 2008 - New web portal, added project and agreement management
    Q2 2008 - New redesigned graphic interface, new RMI module

Apparently not free, the service desk is a module that will come with a cost.

Legacy Posted By Username: syscal