Kaseya Community

Need advise concerning Backup Exec

• I’m currently using Symantec Backup Exec 11d. I'd like to setup an alert when a failed backup occurs (via event logs), but I have a funny feeling this is going to get ugly. The reason I say that, is because if a backup job returns ANY errors at all, I'll get a "job failed" alert. For instance, on one of my servers logged Event ID 34113 = Job Failed. The job says it failed, because the VSS was busy while it was trying to backup. Meanwhile, my byte count is correct, meaning the job actually ran.
    This has happened intermittently over the last few weeks. Otherwise, the backup is running fine. The source of the error is actually that the shadow copy was busy, but BUExec sees it as a failure. Never mind the byte count, etc...
    This happens to ALL my servers (that I know of). The BU job fails or completes with exceptions everywhere. If I start putting in a generic trigger, such as "job failed", I'm going to get flooded emails for jobs that really didn't fail.
    I'm not sure HOW to handle this. BUExec looks like it gives a different event ID for everything, whether the job actually ran or not.

Any advice from fellow BUExec Kaseya-ers would be very much appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: Need advise concerning Backup Exec,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • Almost all of our clients use one of the Backup Exec versions from 9.x and up. You are correct in saying that BUExec uses different Event ID's for different kinds of messages (and even different Event ID's between versions for the same message). It sounds like you have a problem with the VSS on that server that needs to be dealt with to fix the failures. As for "Backup Completed with Exceptions", that's just something to live with unless you examine each message and unselect the files from each backup.

I have alerts setup for Failures and Exceptions as well as alerting me if there have been no messages in 48 hours so I can tell if the job is hung.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • We have it report failure on many of the event IDs. This forces us to review the logs to see why it was not a complete success, and we can then correct any issue or move on if it's benign.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Lmhansen
    We have it report failure on many of the event IDs. This forces us to review the logs to see why it was not a complete success, and we can then correct any issue or move on if it's benign.

Same here.

Legacy Posted By Username: rudi
  • Any list of these event-id's? We are new to Kaseya and getting BE monitoring working is #1 priority.

Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: bmartindcs
  • Backup Exec All.txt
    We, too, report on the various IDs. I was quite lost until a lucky search led me to the file attached to this post which contains the EventIDs for Backup Exec 10d or higher, at least. For some reason I couldn't attach as XML, so you'll need to rename the file from .txt to .xml to import it, but it should work just fine after that. Good luck!

Legacy Posted By Username: RyanASP
  • That looks like it will do the trick! Thanks.

Legacy Posted By Username: bmartindcs
  • Would anyone be able to assist me with getting started on this? What do I do with that .xml file? I want to do exactly what the others have done, failures and no alerts. I'm very new to this, and really appreciate the help.
    Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: egisadmin
  • Guys, thanks for the advice. As it turns out I have had a great deal of success utilizing Kaseya to monitor our backups.

The only setback is being alerted on Completed Successfully Event IDs. I try not to collect Informational events. My work around for this is the obvious; Set Backup exec to email the backup status.

egisadmin, search these forums on how to setup event sets. You'll find a great deal of information.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • also if you open BE under tools -> alert categories you can chose what BE will write to the windows event log and it will also show you the corresponding event id.

Legacy Posted By Username: cnwicsurrett
  • can you please email me your set to alert when no message is recieved for 48 hours? thanks.

Legacy Posted By Username: cameronpratto
  • Hi, I changed the txt into xml but still doesn't import it, even if I copy and paste in the import

Legacy Posted By Username: MCG