Kaseya Community

Why can't Kaseya be installed with Exchange?

• Hi myArch-man - Do what? You mean turning off Windows security logging to speed up a server? Or running all these services on one old Dell box?

It surely wasn't simple getting Kaseya and Exchange to play together nicely, but it does work. For newbies, or people evaluating Kaseya, it makes a lot of sense to not rush out and buy new hardware just for Kaseya - IMO.

I will be going the route of a VM environment for my KS soon Smile

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • Oh, I'll still *** if something goes wrong Smile I like the challenge of doing what others say can't be done (Kaseya says Exchange and Kaseya do not work together). But I have no doubt it would be cleaner to run it on a separate box or VM. But I only have 150+ machines at this point, and am very careful to streamline how much data is collected... Send me some money and time and I'll move my KS tomorrow Smile

boudj
    There's a reason people folllow best prectices... because they are the"best" way to go? And if you go outside them, don't *** when you get issues.

• Hey, if you're not making money to cover the server costs (and Kaseya costs), you're doing something wrong. I'm not busting your chops on this, but I'm trying to show you a reason why to do it the way I recommended (dedicated server). I work with (and support) quite a few 1-3 man IT companies and I do understand how tight a dollar can be.

For example, I just purchased a decked out Dell PE2950 a few months ago for $3K. It came with 4-300GB (15K) SCSI drives, 16GB of RAM, 3-yr Warranty, and 2-QC procs. this is a little overkill for you so I'm sure you could get something a little cheaper that doesn't have so much horse power (I support 2000 users). Now I expect the lifecycle of this server to be 4-5 years, but lets take 4 yrs to be conservative and use the $3K price tag. This means the avg yearly cost should be $750. If I wanted to analyze this further, the monthly cost is $62.50/mo.

Taking this in consideration, don't you think you'll easily make back $62.50/mo by investing it ia dedicated K server (instead of the man hours being wasted on trying to duct tape and bubblegum a server solution together)? He'll that's 1/2 of wwhat I bill hourly! So for me that means I had to recover (or gain) 1/2 hour of work per month to cover this new server. What a no brainer!

Finally this is not soft logic. I used real #'s to show you the costs that are associated with running your business (I know this cause I run the same kind of business!) and sometimes you need to evaluate the cost of doing something one way vs the cost of doing something another way. If I take the reactive approach, I worry about spending $3K now. If I take the proactive approach, I look at what the upfront $3K will save me over the next few years... and it will definitely be a hell of a lot more than $62.50/hr per month! (not to mention a whole lot less grief from dealing with the issues caused by the reactive approach).

So you asked for your dollar's and I just gave them to you for free.

Cheers!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Just thinking about all the IIS issues, like dealing with "localhost" for both exchange and kaseya, would make me want to blow out my brains before trying it.

Besides, finding a decent second-hand server for less the $1k could easily facilitate the need.

There is no reason to reasonably expect these server applications to co-mingle.

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • I'm in total agreement boudj. I will be purchasing a new server - but will still keep my small business running on a single server box. I'll just VM Kaseya and maybe Exchange on top of a Windows 2003 Enterprise box.

My reasons for not yet purchasing new hardware were simple: I am new to Kaseya, so decided to move forward slowly. Kaseya software is not inexpensive, so the monthly payments are significant for a one man shop. Keep in mind I am moving slowly with Kaseya, slowly merging my existing customer base into it as I get more familiar with it. I am not out soliciting tons of new business (yet), as I want to be an expert on all things Kaseya before I take on more customers. So that means I'm not yet realizing much extra income - yet having to shell out the money every month for Kaseya as I learn and set up a master design for the machines I manage.

I also enjoy a good technical challenge and like being green. IMO we all throw away way too much equipment - equipment that still has value. So I really like the fact that I can run my business on a Dell PE2400 server (2001) using my skills. Redundant power supplies, SCSI RAID5 etc help make this dinosaur continue to live...

But for those of you that do not like technical challenges, do as boudj advises and run your KServer on a separate box (or as a VM)...

• ReedMikel
    Hi myArch-man - Do what? You mean turning off Windows security logging to speed up a server? Or running all these services on one old Dell box?

I never said anything about disabling security logging to speed anything.

Getting kaseya and exchange to co-mingle on the same box is a neat trick, but so would be juggling six bowling pins while holla-hopping on a unicyle. You won't be able to do it successfully for long, and you're bound to take a tumble.

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • Oh I LUV technical challenges, but I'd rather have my clients pay for the learning curve instead of me paying for it. BTW - I agree with you about Virtual Servers and the only hurdle there is to get K to agree that it's OK to install to one (in other words they'll support it). Until that happens I cannot recommend using one to host K and risk not getting support.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Come on guys - it's fun Smile Actually, you learn ways to make Windows faster when you're working with old hardware. Things you would never even think about on a new faster box. Turning off the security auditing alone improved overall speed noticeably. And since I am a one man shop, there's nobody else to blame but myself if I accidentally delete a file, use an incorrect username etc. Now just don't hack in, ok ? Smile

myArch-man - I'm the one that brought up the topic of turning off Windows security logging earlier. I thought one of your earlier replies was warning me against this trick...