Kaseya Community

Why can't Kaseya be installed with Exchange?

• Why can't Kaseya be installed with on SBS2003 Premium or SBS2008, that is, why can't Kaseya be installed on the same sever as Exchange?

Legacy Forum Name: Why can't Kaseya be installed with Exchange?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GPotvin
  • Sure it can. We have the Agent installed on several SBS servers running Exchange with no issues.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • We have a number of SBS2003, Exchange2003/2007 and SQL servers with agents on them.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Sorry, but that's not what I mean. Why can't Kaseya server and database be on a SBS2003 or SBS2008? Right now, I have a Kaseya server and an Exchange server. With SBS, I could combine all of that onto 1 box, Kaseya says not to do this. Why?

Legacy Posted By Username: GPotvin
  • GPotvin
    Sorry, but that's not what I mean. Why can't Kaseya server and database be on a SBS2003 or SBS2008? Right now, I have a Kaseya server and an Exchange server. With SBS, I could combine all of that onto 1 box, Kaseya says not to do this. Why?

Is this a best practices thing? Typically, I would not put a SQL server on the same machine as an Exchange server.

Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: pbaumgartner
  • GPotvin
    Sorry, but that's not what I mean. Why can't Kaseya server and database be on a SBS2003 or SBS2008? Right now, I have a Kaseya server and an Exchange server. With SBS, I could combine all of that onto 1 box, Kaseya says not to do this. Why?

I would have to guess that it's a best practice type of thing. Having everything on one box (Kaseya, SQL, Exchange, Domain Controller, etc.) is a bad idea anyway, too much to go wrong and when it does you will regret it.

• Personally I dont think it would be too much of an issue with only a few hundred agents.. Get the 7000 odd we run here on SBS and I think you would be in a real world of pain !!

Legacy Posted By Username: NERDPWR
  • NERDPWR
    Personally I dont think it would be too much of an issue with only a few hundred agents.. Get the 7000 odd we run here on SBS and I think you would be in a real world of pain !!

That'd probably be the worlds beefiest SBS server. I couldn't even imagine a poor single SBS server trying to deal with all of that. haha, thanks for the laugh!

• I thought i had heard it had something to do with a conlifct between SMTP and the default website needed for Kaseya, and Exchange Server.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    I thought i had heard it had something to do with a conlifct between SMTP and the default website needed for Kaseya, and Exchange Server.

Lloyd

That's exactly what it is. Kaseya support isn't knowledgeable enough to get it working on SBS, and it's not the best practice anyway, so....

My Kaseya server is currently running on SBS. I created a junction to map Inetpub\mailroot\Drop to \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\PickUp (I think those the directories, off the top of my head.)

and then disabled the RWW/OWA and set Kaseya as the default website.

It works fine for the time being, but I'll be upgrading it to its own machine sometime in the future.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • I have Kaseya Server running on an Exchange machine. It's a Windows 2003 domain controller, plus Exchange 2003, plus Kaseya Server. I bought Kaseya in March 08, and did not want to spend the money yet on new hardware. I have about 150 agents deployed and it runs well for me (but I have not implemented patching yet). And my server hardware is ancient - it's a Dell PowerEdge 2400 server, dual PIII/900 CPUs, 2GB RAM and SCSI RAID5.

At some point I will purchase a new server box and virtualize just about everything so that if something does go down, I can quickly restore on to new hardware and be back in business...

Like others have said, it's could be a bit risky putting Kaseya on same box as Exchange. But I like to be green too, and do not like the idea of a separate server box for every little server application (very wasteful IMO).

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • Mike

2 GB of memory is not really enough memory for SBS let alone adding Kaseya to it. If you double the memory to 4GB, you be amazed at the performace boost.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • I'm not running SBS, but I guess when you combine the fact that it is a 2003 PDC, Exchange 2003 etc, it's as loaded as any SBS box Smile Unfortunately, this old Dell server has a 2GB limit on its motherboard Sad One trick that I found very helpful was to disable much of Windows security auditing. I was quite impressed with the overall speed improvement I saw after disabling it...

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • From a simple best practices standpoint, it isn't a good idea to do it.

Maybe you could run one as a VM inside the other. That would at least keep them "seperated".

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • Ditto myArch-man with using a VM! You really should not put your core app on a server that is serving other core apps. Eventually one app's updates/change will step on anothers. Now thanks to Virtual Servers we can still you one box with nice and isolated OS's!

There's a reason people folllow best prectices... because they are the"best" way to go? And if you go outside them, don't *** when you get issues.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj